Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Now for my next trick

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I will figure out where to store 60 lbs of hay :eek:

I can't wait until my piggums get their first taste of KMS 2nd and 3rd Timothy, and Bluegrass! :D

aurikan

Cavy Slave
lol, when i ordered my last batch of hay these were my thoughts exactly. i ordered 45lbs and i had no idea where to put it!

Chritazy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've been trying to figure this out too! Is it OK to store in the garage? I have 50 lbs in a box in the office and all you smell is hay!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I transfer the flakes from the box into tall brown yard waste bags. I have a large wooden drafting table in my garage where I store the bags of hay on. I toss a bed sheet over the bags to keep bugs out but allow ventilation. I bring in one bag at a time as I need it. I have a large wicker trunk in my living room that I transfer the hay into.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I just stab holes into cardboard boxes and shove them under the guinea's tables. Like so:
Now for my next trick

60 pounds is pretty hardcore, though.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
For now I think I'll have to at least move them into my front room (where the pigs are). Right now they are in the entryway and my kids will be home from school soon. They probably will want to come in the house lol

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
60 pounds is pretty hardcore, though.

lol I live across the country so shipping takes a considerable amount of time. I figured it would be better to order a ton at once instead of more frequent smaller orders. I do have 6 pigs though, so I know they will burn through it.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I store my hay in a huge rubber made container (has holes drilled in it) and a cardboard box that our compost bin came in. I usually buy 2 , 45# bales of hay and store it in our garage. It is fine and I only feed hay that doesn't touch the floor. Anything on the floor goes into the garden ( I don't want sawdust/nails, ect in my hay.) I have big containers that our cat litter comes in and fill it up with hay and it lasts my 3 girls a few days. I'm allergic to hay so the bulk of it has to stay in the garage.

Chritazy

Cavy Slave
I store my hay in a huge rubber made container (has holes drilled in it) and a cardboard box that our compost bin came in. I usually buy 2 , 45# bales of hay and store it in our garage. It is fine and I only feed hay that doesn't touch the floor. Anything on the floor goes into the garden ( I don't want sawdust/nails, ect in my hay.) I have big containers that our cat litter comes in and fill it up with hay and it lasts my 3 girls a few days. I'm allergic to hay so the bulk of it has to stay in the garage.

My husband and I are both having issues with allergies because of the hay. I've always had problems with fresh cut grass and I just didn't think about the hay when I was thinking about getting the piggies. Won't even think about getting rid of them. I'm just nervous about putting the hay in the garage especially in the summertime because it gets so hot here. I guess with lots of holes poked in the box it can air out?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
My husband and I are both having issues with allergies because of the hay. I've always had problems with fresh cut grass and I just didn't think about the hay when I was thinking about getting the piggies. Won't even think about getting rid of them. I'm just nervous about putting the hay in the garage especially in the summertime because it gets so hot here. I guess with lots of holes poked in the box it can air out?

It gets really hot here as well, the hay should be fine with lots of holes for air. You just don't want the hay to get wet, heat is fine, water and heat= disaster. My allergies to everything have gotten worse over the years. I started off not allergic to pigs or hay at all to not being able to handle either without being itchy.

Chritazy

Cavy Slave
@PrincessAngel What a bummer that the pigs themselves make you itch! I have some rubber storage tubs I can use and to keep the hay in the garage...I can even put it up on a utility shelf.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
In case you were wondering, this is what it looked like lol
Now for my next trick

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.