Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? I need some advice.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
My mum was just like that, when we first got Rex and Bubbles..they got vitamin C drops, lived in a hutch and were walked on with a lead. Then about a month later I learnt about C&C cages and they got a 2x11 with a 2x8 loft..we stopped the water drops and the lead and the cage was inside.

Now days...as soon as my mum sees someone doing the slightest thing wrong to a guinea pig..she always asks me if that's not right (just to check) and then I'm usually the one who has to hold her back sometimes as sometimes it's just not worth telling the people because they just do not listen. Now..she wants to help every piggy in need..so different from when we first got my two boys..we just listened to the pet shop..got them from a friend (phew something good).

So, if your mum learns about proper piggy care she also might go a bit crazy with piggy passion but she'll understand and learn so much she would of never believed was true and she'll see that you're not just making things up about proper piggy care.

Hahaha I love how you said now your mom is piggie obsessed. See the thing with my mom is she looks and picks up those care sheets at pet smart every time we go and I inquire about Guinea Pigs and she want's me too follow those because its WRITTEN out by them and I wanted to yell I'm sorry mom but just because the people at pet smart wrote it down it's not exactly true as much as I wish they would write proper care sheets they just wont so it's a bit frustrating. :)

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Good job with the research! Of course we are here to help with any questions but it sounds like you have learned a lot already! Good luck on educating your mom more about guinea pigs, I think she should be impressed with your research and commitment to learning about pets to take the best care of them possible, very responsible.

On another note, I think (not sure) the cage you posted a picture of is a Midwest, which is about the only pet store cage that meets the size requirements, and you can connect to another to expand. It is not most people's preference because it can be a bit tricky as the bottom is canvas, but I think the size is acceptable. As far as bedding, aspen bedding is an acceptable bedding as is kiln dried pine. Aspen is far cheaper than carefresh so that's a plus but does have some negatives as well, personally I don't think it masks odor as well. But good job recognizing low quality pellets and the negatives of vitamin drops. Good luck with everything!

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your answers guys I made a document for my mom about cages, and food, and treats, and vitamin C and she said everything was up to me she only had one problem and that was about the C and C cage I put in like 4 pictures of well kept C and C cages and I think she got intimidated by the size of them and how she said they weren't "portable" see we visit New Orleans frequently as we live in Mississippi so she likes those cages because you can "take them with you" but it frustrates me because that portableness of them makes them too small which I don't think she sees so I have to find some way to think of a C and C as a take it and go if necessary cage what do I do about this I don't want a cage to affect me getting a guinea pig because if I cant get a big enough cage them I just wont get guinea pigs which I would be very heartbroken by this as my hopes are extremely up since she said I could get them what should I do?
Thanks

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If traveling is an issue you may then need both. I have a pet store cage I use for transportation as one of my pigs has a veterinarian that is over 2 hours away, it was also used as a quarantine so I generally think it is handy to have a spare cage for emergencies. However, I think it could be stressful to relocate them back and forth and have them in the car for long periods of time frequently. How frequently are you talking here?

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Good job with the research! Of course we are here to help with any questions but it sounds like you have learned a lot already! Good luck on educating your mom more about guinea pigs, I think she should be impressed with your research and commitment to learning about pets to take the best care of them possible, very responsible.

On another note, I think (not sure) the cage you posted a picture of is a Midwest, which is about the only pet store cage that meets the size requirements, and you can connect to another to expand. It is not most people's preference because it can be a bit tricky as the bottom is canvas, but I think the size is acceptable. As far as bedding, aspen bedding is an acceptable bedding as is kiln dried pine. Aspen is far cheaper than carefresh so that's a plus but does have some negatives as well, personally I don't think it masks odor as well. But good job recognizing low quality pellets and the negatives of vitamin drops. Good luck with everything!

Thanks so much so the cage i posted is fine by itself? Or does it need to be connected like you said to another cage like it for it to be acceptable for 2 pigs?

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
If traveling is an issue you may then need both. I have a pet store cage I use for transportation as one of my pigs has a veterinarian that is over 2 hours away, it was also used as a quarantine so I generally think it is handy to have a spare cage for emergencies. However, I think it could be stressful to relocate them back and forth and have them in the car for long periods of time frequently. How frequently are you talking here?

We go about once a month mostly on holidays. Now that I think of it that's kind of alot of times for taking them back in forth so maybe we will have to go less frequently? Or is that an ok amount of time?

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I try and correct as much grammar I can remember and such because I don't want people to think I am a baby who doesn't know anything and shouldn't care for guinea pigs also keyboarding class helped :) Thanks I will pitch in around the house maybe she can also take me more serious that way and help out even more.

You're very welcome :)

I'm not sure if you have found a hay source yet, but one way to save money is to find a local farm. Back when we had bunnies (I don't currently have a GP either), we went to a farm/feed store that sold timothy hay by the bale. We couldn't buy an entire bale due to storage so for $5 we could fill up a giant rubbermaid tote which lasted us 6 months. Hope that helps lessen your costs some! GL!

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
You're very welcome :)

I'm not sure if you have found a hay source yet, but one way to save money is to find a local farm. Back when we had bunnies (I don't currently have a GP either), we went to a farm/feed store that sold timothy hay by the bale. We couldn't buy an entire bale due to storage so for $5 we could fill up a giant rubbermaid tote which lasted us 6 months. Hope that helps lessen your costs some! GL!
Really I have never thought of that I'll have to look into it and ask my mom if she knows of one in our area! I forgot hay would get expensive since they need an unlimited supply of it instead of it being proportioned out like their pellets. Thanks for the idea will look into it! =)

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Have your mom help you look on Craigslist in the farm section for hay suppliers.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Thanks! They have that on Craigslist!?!? *going to local craigslist now*

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Oh dear, I don't think a 13 y/o should be on CL! Just stay on the farm section missy! And don't email anyone ;)

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Ok so I talked to my mom again tonight and have some bad news she didn't know that they are herd animals and that I need 2. She is still convinced that I could get 1 and love it alot but I think we all know that's not gonna work I tried explaining they need one of their own kind but it feels like it went right through the other ear. See we are planning on moving sometime in May or something like that once she graduates. Soo space is currently an issue so that's why she didn't want an C and C cage also she wants something we can pick up and go which I showed her one cage that I had a link to earlier but she says it's too "big". Everything is just going so wrong and right now I wish she just knew everything I knew! I don't think I'm getting Guinea Pigs for another while I will not settle for 1 its either 2 or none :(

HarleypigsMummy

Cavy Slave
@Mishkapop This may have been answered in the thread already, but where do you get the insurance for your piggies? I am in the UK too and didn't know that I could get it! Thanks!

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Aw, I'm sorry cheerfulangel2. That's disappointing :( Well you can save your money until then and just look forward to the late spring/early summer when you are settled in your new place. Also, if she still only wants you to have one, maybe you can contact the local shelters/rescues in your area and tell them you are looking for a single GP. Of course most GPs need a friend, but there is the oddball cavy out there who wants to be alone. I just saw a rescue on petfinder the other day who prefers to be alone and is happier that way. Just something to think about if your mom stands firm on the one GP thing. :)

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
@KatiesCavies Thanks that's a really good idea I told my mom that was the only exception but of course it could take some time to find one like that. Ya.. for now I will just have to wait :( hopefully all works out well then :) Thanks alot for all your replies and your help. It helped out tons! :)

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
It just shows how mature and responsible you are that you are prepared to wait until you can have a pair of piggies or that perfect loner pig becomes available. Things will work out and you will make a great piggy mama when that day comes :)

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
@Idlepink Thank you so much that means alot to me as I want to make the best life possible for my piggies when I get them thanks alot! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.