Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? 4 boars?

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
How safe is it to put 4 boars together? I currently have 3 boars that get along GREAT in a 2x5. I could either make it a 2x5 with a loft or make it an L shape and add another 2x1 or 2x2 onto the side. I just introduced the 3rd about a weeks ago. If this is safe, how long should I wait and what should I do to the cage?

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
having 4 males or 4 females, its all the same there will be a pecking order and more poop!

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I've now got 2 boars an a mini boar in a 3x5 an they are doing great xx I also have a 1x3 loft which I might make into a 2x3 - not sure i would be brave enough to add another though xx are all yours from the same litter? Xx

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
@Rach84 no they are not. 2 of them are about 5 months old(no relation) and the other is 1 1/2-2 years old. The one I'm thinking of adding is about 7 months old

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Adding another boar could work great, or it could completely blow apart the established relationships between the other three -- there's no way to predict what will happen.

I'd add the side compartment rather than a loft, and if it's possible, I'd make it a 3x5 or a 3x6 -- boars seem to do better with wider cages than with long narrow ones.

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
I could probably do a 3x5 or at least add one wider to half of it. I'm a little nervous. How long is long enough to wait since i just put the 3rd one in a week ago?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
My older pair I had first they are about 6 months an I just added Baby Dexter last week who's about 8 weeks xx I wouldn't think my cage would be big enough now for another pig as my older boys like their space xx
As for timing have the pigs calmed down since the last intro? No more rumbling etc? Xx

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think there is no way to tell how it will be. They could all get on like a house on fire. Or you could ruin the bond your three boys have and end up with none or a couple still getting along..I personally don't want to take the risk with my three boys..they are so happy now..I'd hate it if I was to ruin their bond. Even though they have a 4x6 c&c cage sized..for me; It's just not worth it.

It could go really well..or it could go horribly wrong. And you wouldn't find out till one or the other happens.

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
there was only rumblestrutting during the first intro and I haven't seen any since. it's been just over a week. I'm not sure what to do with this 4th pig then....aside from getting him a friend obviously, but I don't really have room for another 2x3 in their room. He was one of my rescues, but he's a biter and I just don't feel comfortable adopting him out.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Boars are unpredictable! It could go great or it could go terrible. I personally had a very bad experience trying a trio of boars and in the end would up with an injured pig who now has to live separately anyway. I think if you try putting them together you'd still have to have the back up plan wiht well if it doesn't work they will have to be separated. It was actually my bonded pair that started fighting after the third was introduced and they are now separated and sworn enemies lol.

On a slightly unrelated note the third boar I added, who I adopted at 3 weeks, is a biter! I never had a biter before but I know they exist now. He will be perfectly happy too but will just seemingly randomly chomp down on you haha! sharp little teeth! I thought he'd grow out of it but that doesn't seem to be happening. He's never bitten his cagemate at least that's what counts haha!

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
I would have room to separate them since the 3 boys are in a 2x5 and the single is in a 2x2 quarantine cage right now, so I could downsize the 2x5 to a 2x4 and make another 2x3, but I just don't have room to get the single a friend in a 2x3 or 2x4 cage along with the boys' 2x5. There's only one pig I'm worried about and that's my dominant one. the other to could give a hoot less about anything.

emttami

Cavy Slave
4 Boars living together...DON'T DO IT!!!! (lol) I'm going through what you are hoping will not happen now. I have 2 peruvians-7mo & 2mo old, a satin silk - 3mo old, & a coronet that is 6 mo old. I have had these boys living together happily for over 2 mo now until a week ago. I have two very dominate pigs! Turns out my 2mo old is extremely dominate as well as my 6mo old. My 6mo old started going through puberty(I'm assuming) and started being a bully to all of them. My oldest, who has been the leader of the pack since I adopted them all together at same time became extremly depressed & terrified of Gus(6mo old) & my 2mo old has had blood drawn fights with him. Gus is now missing a piece of his left ear & is now separated from my 3 other boars, who seem to be living together just fine for now. Cage & toys-HUGE & lots of them. This does not mean that in 2-4mo from now that I will have to separate another one. I'm hoping that will not be the case but as I have been asked within the last week by several cavy owners that are more experienced, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH 4 BOARS ANYWAYS" ???? If I had been given the correct info from the start, I would not have 4 boars but all in the past now, they each have my heart & there is NOOOO way I cant let anyone of them go so I'm hoping things will work out this way. I'm going to keep a close watch on depression signs for Gus & maybe I may have to neuter Gus & get him a wife but for now he seems to be happy being in his own cage & still getting to hear & see the others, not to mention, he has free reign of the house, when I'm home. :) I will post a design of the cages that I am now in the process of making due to the separation. Hope things go better for you & Good Luck!!

emttami

Cavy Slave
This is a sketch of what I put together that I am in the process of building now. My own C&C Cage
image.jpg

emttami

Cavy Slave
3x5 and 5x6 cages

Attachments

image.jpg

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
i feel so bad that he doesn't have a friend. I think he would be much happier. Ugh.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Can you split them 2 in each so all the boys have a buddy? Xx

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
won't that be stressful on the 3 that are already together to pull one out?

emttami

Cavy Slave
won't that be stressful on the 3 that are already together to pull one out?

It's mostly stressful for you. Believe me, I know. I'm still stressing out.
Your situation is a little different from mine & you have a good jump start on yours where you could possibly
do the 2/2 split & they be very happy that way. You have 2) 5 mo old boys, you just put in a 1-2yr old, & now you have
a 7mo old. you need to know there personalities, which one is the most dominate. The oldest one should/may already be settled
in his maturity. It's the two 5mo old that will start going into puberty soon. How long have you had the two 5mo olds together?
1) you can put Older one with a younger one or
2) most dominate with least
There can only be one alpha
3) Neuter him & let him have a wife:) (of course they would have to be in a separate room away from your other 2 boys though)

and also...what is the history with the 7mo old recue that you just got? Has he had a roomie before or has he been a loner
in the past?
This is really your decision. I tried putting one of my least dominate boars with Gus & he was younger but Gus is to dominate
I was afraid they were going to fight & after watching them together, my 3mo old wined a little so i put him back with the other 2
and now they are all happy as ever. Gus is just alone but his cage is so close that he can hear & still communicate with them. Sometimes they even snip at each other through the cubes. You will figure it out. You can always try to put 4 in. It might work for you but I'll never do it again. Let me know how it turns out or what you decide.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.