Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello all!

LovingMyGuineas

Cavy Slave
I've been looking over this site for a few days and decided to make an account as it is the best Guinea Pig site I've come across. I'm getting my first two Guineas on Monday Both beautiful short haired Males called Pikachu and Steve aha! I am very excited! Has anyone got any first timer tips? They would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! We would love to see some pigtures once they get settled in.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
welcome to the forum! what different names they have XD what's the story behind it?

first timer tips are to check the gender, then let piggies settle in a for a full day or more, resist alll temptation to pick them up for cuddling! :D
have hay,pellets and water in the cage at all times, avoid getting a pet store cage if possible. depending on their previous owners/pet stores, they may not be used to vegetables so you might want to start slow and focus on lettuce and bell peppers first. lettuce is a staple, bell peppers is a good source of vitamin C :) if they eat it , all is good. leave it in the cage, they might be too scared to be handfed for awhile. you can try though after a day or two.

if they don't eat it, slice it into very small pieces and mix it with the pellets so they get used to the taste :)

do share your cage plans, bedding plans or diet plans if you'd like more tips from others :D

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on getting your first pigs! As soon as you get them, I demand some pigtures! :)

When you first get pigs, they will be skittish and not comfortable around you, and to change that you will need to give them lots of cuddles and bribe them with veggies! You will need to wait a couple of days before handling them, pigs need a while to adjust to their new environment. :)
Usually, where most newbies stuff up is diet and cage size. I have never seen a pet store cage large enough for to males, C&C cages are pretty much the only acceptable cage (with a small exception of a couple). As for diet, we have an excellent nutrition chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html.

Good luck on getting your pigs! Please feel free to ask us any questions.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome. This is a great place to learn about piggies. Pictures are a must.

LovingMyGuineas

Cavy Slave
welcome to the forum! what different names they have XD what's the story behind it?

first timer tips are to check the gender, then let piggies settle in a for a full day or more, resist alll temptation to pick them up for cuddling! :D
have hay,pellets and water in the cage at all times, avoid getting a pet store cage if possible. depending on their previous owners/pet stores, they may not be used to vegetables so you might want to start slow and focus on lettuce and bell peppers first. lettuce is a staple, bell peppers is a good source of vitamin C :) if they eat it , all is good. leave it in the cage, they might be too scared to be handfed for awhile. you can try though after a day or two.

if they don't eat it, slice it into very small pieces and mix it with the pellets so they get used to the taste :)

do share your cage plans, bedding plans or diet plans if you'd like more tips from others :D
Well with the names I'm a big Pokémon fan so that explains Pikachu and my brother named the other..not quite sure why he chose Steve aha! Thankyou for all your tips :) They're definitely males. Sadly, mum won't let me keep them in the house so they're in a hutch in the garden. They're in sight so we will be able to see if any cats are sniffing around. At night we will cover the hutch with a blanket to keep them warm and don't worry they'll have plenty of hay as well so they stay snuggled :)

LovingMyGuineas

Cavy Slave
I'll make sure to post some pictures :) Hopefully they'll be in the hutch tomorrow if it arrives :D I'm trying to convince mum to get a C&C cage but I don't think she'll let them stay indoors due to the ' mess ' but from what I've seen C&C cages don't let any hay fall out and with the fleece floor as well they seem a lot cleaner...I'm going to keep trying though.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
C&C Cages don't make any mess -- I have one and it keeps all the hay, bedding and food in. They also look very neat and tidy inside! The hutch will be ok temporally, make sure they are warm enough and close them at nights. Anyways, welcome to the forum!

LovingMyGuineas

Cavy Slave
I'm hoping to buy a C&C cage as I know they'll be a lot happier indoors..do you think there are anyways to persuade the parents? I really don't want them living outside for all of their life :(

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
I'm hoping to buy a C&C cage as I know they'll be a lot happier indoors..do you think there are anyways to persuade the parents? I really don't want them living outside for all of their life :(

Welcome to the forums!!! So glad that you're so excited about your new piggies and I'm very glad to hear that you're concerned about their well-being. Some of the things that other kids have found very helpful are these:

You have to prove that you're willing to do everything necessary to keep the smell and the mess to a minimum! Those are the biggest problems that most parents have with piggies being inside. So, daily spot cleaning is a MUST! That will keep them from ever smelling. I have a large C&C cage in our living room, and sometimes my boys will kick a little hay out, so I keep a broom and a small trashcan right next to the cage, so I can sweep it up whenever I see it.

Cost. C&C cages can be expensive when you're first getting one! So, work it off. My kids have chores that they do weekly to earn extra money. We have dogs, so my son is responsible for searching the yard for dog poo and scooping it up. He also mows the lawn. My daughter sweeps the house and does dishes. Each of these chores is worth a set amount of money and they get paid weekly for doing it. So, set something up with your mom where you can work off the cost of the C&C cage. If you keep doing it to help pay for veggies, hay and pellets and everything else, it's also going to help prove that you're responsible and that this means a lot to you!

Space. C&C cages, especially one big enough for 2 boars is going to take up some serious space, they'll likely need more space than 2 sows. My two boars are in a cage a little bigger than 3x5 (the minimum recommended for 2 males is 2x5) . It comes out to 21 sq feet! That's a big area. YOU have to come up with a place to put it, somewhere where it's not going to drive her crazy and that you'll be able to take care of them properly. Offer to rearrange your bedroom, or another area of the house, where everything is still accessible, would be ok for company and won't be in the way of anything she already has.

Good luck. I hope that you get the chance to get your mom to come around. Good luck to you and your boys!

PS You might want to look into a lock for your outside hutch, I heard a really bad story about someone having their garden broken into and their piggies being hurt.

LovingMyGuineas

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I've been discussing it today with her and I think proving that I can take care of them and keep them clean along with helping around the house to get money for the cost would make her agree to getting one. I'm planning on showing her a few pictures of c&c cages so she gets a few idea on what they look like and how safe they are. Hopefully over a little time she'll let me keep them inside :) Again, Thank you so much!

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I've been discussing it today with her and I think proving that I can take care of them and keep them clean along with helping around the house to get money for the cost would make her agree to getting one. I'm planning on showing her a few pictures of c&c cages so she gets a few idea on what they look like and how safe they are. Hopefully over a little time she'll let me keep them inside :) Again, Thank you so much!

You're welcome! Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.