Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Piggys channeling their inner dog

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
Does anyone else notice that their piggys seem to think they are dogs? Our two piggys, Checkers and Ginger seem to think they are dogs. If they are out having run around time and they hear our voice they come a running. If they are in their cage and hear us hear the fridge open hear anything make a crinkle sound they are up on their hind legs on the side of the cage weeking up a storm. If you try and ignore them they start to gnaw on the cage and week even louder. If they even suspect you are eating a salad, if you want to eat it in peace you better give then a share. It be nice if they could go fetch the paper but they would most likely eat it.lol

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
My piggies do every one of those things too :) They know their names, and other magic words like "veggie" or the crinkle of a bag...and definitely smell anything you have or are eating that's possible piggy food! They really can learn tricks like standing up on their hind feet, too---my Friar Tuck does it when he feels like it. But I'm sure if he fetched the paper he'd promptly eat it lol

I think guinea pigs do a lot of things that are very like horses, too! It sounds crazy, I know. But their frisky popcorning is so similar to a frolicking horse or foal; they snuffle and nibble your hand like a horse; they shake and toss toys with their mouth like a horse, and like to pet in the same areas as a horse.

These are just some of the behaviors people who've never had guinea pigs have no idea about, and underestimate what wonderful pets they make. They think they're like glorified hamsters ( who are adorable and underestimated themselves :D ) when really they can act more like dogs or mini horses!

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
My piggies do every one of those things too :) They know their names, and other magic words like "veggie" or the crinkle of a bag...and definitely smell anything you have or are eating that's possible piggy food! They really can learn tricks like standing up on their hind feet, too---my Friar Tuck does it when he feels like it. But I'm sure if he fetched the paper he'd promptly eat it lol

I think guinea pigs do a lot of things that are very like horses, too! It sounds crazy, I know. But their frisky popcorning is so similar to a frolicking horse or foal; they snuffle and nibble your hand like a horse; they shake and toss toys with their mouth like a horse, and like to pet in the same areas as a horse.

These are just some of the behaviors people who've never had guinea pigs have no idea about, and underestimate what wonderful pets they make. They think they're like glorified hamsters ( who are adorable and underestimated themselves :D ) when really they can act more like dogs or mini horses!

Never thought about the horse behavior but you are 100% spot on, even down to the affinity for hay! Please satisfy my curiosity and elucidate me on the horse petting areas!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Gladly! :) Gentle nose rubs, strokes up the bridge of their nose, gentle cheek pats and rubs, and chest scratches.......When they lay down with their back feet kicked out sideways and front feet tucked in it reminds of horses or cows too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.