Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers Help please, at my wits in with this cage.

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Heya,

My cubes have just arrived to make Frank's new c&c cage, however I need to make a lid and I can't work out how to do it and after numerous attempts and stress I'm at my wits end!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

x

There are plenty of pictures of lids in the photo galleries.

You can use closet shelving, which would be an excellent choice if you've got other animals that may try to get in the cage. Or you can put a support down the long edge of the lid and zip tie the grids to it to keep the lid steady.

I can't spend out any more money unfortunately, just cost me £80+ to get what I've got now and I'm only a student ha :)

Thank you for the advice, think I'll try to zip tie and if needed I know where I can find some spare wood for support.

How many grids do you have left for the lid? And how big is your cage? I haven't done a lid, but I really enjoy the process of engineering C&C elements (thus the three+ cage redesigns in 2ish months). Off the top of my head, here is what I would do:

For the sake of this example, lets imagine you are trying to make a lid for a 2x5:
A) For each "lid" half, take the number of grids you have long-wise (in this case, 5) and overlap another grid at each connection to strengthen it (this is what I have done for all of my cage-length "doors"). You will want to make two of these. Use tons of zip ties!

B) Buy a cheap doweling, curtain rod, or other long "bar" that can span the length of the cage.

C) Zip tie each "lid" to the bar/doweling/rod.

D) Connect one grid to each corner of your cage, so your lids won't fall in.

How many grids do you have left for the lid? And how big is your cage? I haven't done a lid, but I really enjoy the process of engineering C&C elements (thus the three+ cage redesigns in 2ish months). Off the top of my head, here is what I would do:

For the sake of this example, lets imagine you are trying to make a lid for a 2x5:
A) For each "lid" half, take the number of grids you have long-wise (in this case, 5) and overlap another grid at each connection to strengthen it (this is what I have done for all of my cage-length "doors"). You will want to make two of these. Use tons of zip ties!

B) Buy a cheap doweling, curtain rod, or other long "bar" that can span the length of the cage.

C) Zip tie each "lid" to the bar/doweling/rod.

D) Connect one grid to each corner of your cage, so your lids won't fall in.

Thank you!

I have 14 grids left, I made a 2x5, just finished the coroplast now, looks awesome ha.
Would 14 be enough?

Thank you!

I have 14 grids left, I made a 2x5, just finished the coroplast now, looks awesome ha.
Would 14 be enough?

Not for what I was suggesting, unfortunately. If you have two lid halves with bracing grids at each intersection, you would need 18 just for the lid. You might be able to make semi-strong lids with 7 and 7 by overlapping each grid about a 1/4-1/3 and/or by attaching some kind of bar along each long edge. Best of luck!

Not for what I was suggesting, unfortunately. If you have two lid halves with bracing grids at each intersection, you would need 18 just for the lid. You might be able to make semi-strong lids with 7 and 7 by overlapping each grid about a 1/4-1/3 and/or by attaching some kind of bar along each long edge. Best of luck!

I shall try that and I will succeed some how, can't wait to see Frank's reaction when he goes in it, I made it so big as a hint that he should be sharing the space with a friend, ha :)

zip ties should come tomorrow, so I'll post the finished 'product' then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.