Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Wood Pellets from Tractor Supply?

piggy.pig

Cavy Slave
So I'll be using fleece in the cage, and I was considering putting wood pellets under the fleece. Do they actually last long without smelling? And are these the right kind?
(broken link removed)
Thanks

AbbeyRoad77

Cavy Slave
We tried horse pellets but switched back to these.
(broken link removed)

they don't swell up as big or become as messy when wet. I also find they're better for odor control.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
@piggy.pig, if those pellets are the hardwood stove pellets, then they are good to go! Have you gone to see them? Do they have them in stock? I found some of the wood stove pellets - by complete surprise, because they are out of season during the summer - so you may have a hard time finding them even though they are listed on the website.

Do they look like this? If so, these are good to use. I called the company and they said that they have no accelerants or additives.
Wood Pellets from Tractor Supply?

Also, a few members here use TSC's equine pellets - (broken link removed) - and these are safe to use as well. They are kiln dried. I had reached out to their offices to confirm a few days back and they got back to me on Friday afternoon to confirm. You should be able to find these year-round (unlike the wood stove pellets).

I'm using the wood stove ones right now and switched to them this past Wednesday. So far NO smell. Unlike the mattress pads I'd been using. If I were still using the mattress pads, they'd be smelly by now and I'd be switching them out today (or possibly yesterday!).

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
So I'll be using fleece in the cage, and I was considering putting wood pellets under the fleece. Do they actually last long without smelling? And are these the right kind?
(broken link removed)
Thanks

If there is no accelerants or additives then they are safe.

I can honestly say that you will not smell the urine at all. You still have to clean the fleece, but don't have to change the pellets out for a while.

I have six piggies in one cage and I don't smell the urine at all and I use to use uhaul pads and had to do laundry every 3/4 days because the urine started smelling unbearable.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave

piggy.pig

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help everyone c: I'll be checking Tractor Supply as soon as I can to see what I can find, the site says they have the pellets in stock at my local store so we'll see. Thanks again. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.