Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior I think my guinea pig is depressed

Brandi Paugh

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig named Kenley worries me. Off and on since I have had her (almost a year), I have wondered if she is depressed. She is a year and a half old and lives with 3 other sisters in a jumbo C&C cage. She is the second oldest but the second smallest. Her two younger sisters pick on her. Tilly, which I have written about, bullies Kenley a lot. She has calmed down recently, but now the youngest sister, Lola picks on her. My mother said she read that guinea pigs pick on depressed guinea pigs. So now we are wondering if she is depressed, or if being picked on makes her depressed. She loves to be out more than be in her cage, and we worry its because of being picked on so much when she is in there. She constantly sleeps when she is out, which we know is good that she is so comfy with us. She eats fine, drinks fine, still loves treats. I just want to make sure she is happy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What do you mean by "picks on her?"

Brandi Paugh

Cavy Slave
They will purposely follow Kenley around and nudge her with there noses, or kick her out of one of the huts.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
She probably not the boss pig. how many huts do you have? Do they have a second opening in the huts to allow for a escape if there's a problem?

Brandi Paugh

Cavy Slave
None of the ones I have mentioned are, the boss it Bella, she is the oldest and the biggest. No, there huts all have one opening, but are large huts except for one. There is one for each of them.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
You may want to cut a second whole in them to prevent a problem and possibly get some open ended sacks as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every hidey in a pig cage should have two doors so that no pig can get trapped.

And the behavior you describe is perfectly normal. She's not being "picked on."

taffy123

Cavy Slave
@scoottie where is that cuddle sack from? I've been looking for one open on both sides with a keep open end like that!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.