Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My Petsmart Animals

guineapigger

Cavy Slave
Okay, the Petsmart near my house does not sell any form of animal. Two of my local shelters teamed up with this one Petsmart to help with their adoptions. I know this because on the front of the cages the small animals are in, instead of info on the type of animal, it has info like Name, sex, age, where they we from and why they were put up for adoption. And the guinea pigs aren't cramped in a fish tank with 8 other piggies, single piggies are in a 3 foot long cage with 3 sides Plexi glass and the back side bared off like C&C cages. Bonded pairs are in a 5 foot long cage the same as the single pigs. Also when you want to hold a small animal, you have to go to a corner of the store where some of the shelter's workers are and fill out an adopters questionere, so they would know if you were to adopt the animal, you would be a good parent. This is the same for the shelter's cat that are shown here. The other shelter shows some of their dogs. They have their paper work, and similar info like the small animals, and when you choose a dog, you have to fill out a few adoption papers. This is the method I got my dog from. Both of the shelters I go to alot and fully support, I adore both of them because the animal's are in good care, and at both shelters, all of the animals are adopted out spayed or neutered, except for few small animals.

Is this Petsmart okay to go to? This is where my family gets all our pet supplies. I do support "Adopt, don't shop." and "Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die."

Can you find out from them if this is going to become a corporate thing where all of them do it? and also what the petsmart's store number is?
I would also be interested in knowing if you have contacted the rescues or shelters that these animals are thought to come from to make sure they are legit and not just a bunch of cards slapped in front of cages.

I can try and find that out for you. :) But I do know another Petsmart in my area sells their animals and it makes me sad that one Petsmart does such a nice thing while the other is so cruel.:sad: As for knowing the shelters are good, one of them I adopted my cat from them about 5 years ago, and i just finished a Summer Camp there. This shelter is the one who shows the small animals and cats, and when you take one of them out they tell all their info such as their name, age, sex, breed, and about the personality. The other shelter that shows the dogs, I adopted my puppy from them 6 months ago and that is our vet.

Every Petsmart is owned by the same corporation.

I doubt that management is looking at the profits from that store as separate. While their model may be better, the money is all going to the same place. Who's to say your purchase money is not going to buy guinea pig babies from their breeding mill for the store a few miles away?

Well, technically if they are adopting out then they don't get any of the money. The agency that is placing the animals there for adoption gets all the money. The shelter gets all of the money. My mother used to work at a petsmart.

The OP said they buy all their pet supplies there. I meant that money.

Sorry, misunderstanding. I'm interested in finding out if this is going to be a country wide thing- if it is country wide then I would feel better about buying products from them.

Why? Like I said - all petsmarts are owned by the same company. A few of them may not sell animals and/or hold adoption events with rescues or shelters but in general, they are still selling small animals.

Why is there a differentiation? Is it the degree they sell animals. Like, oh a handful of stores don't sell them so it is okay to shop there?

Why? Like I said - all petsmarts are owned by the same company. A few of them may not sell animals and/or hold adoption events with rescues or shelters but in general, they are still selling small animals.

Why is there a differentiation? Is it the degree they sell animals. Like, oh a handful of stores don't sell them so it is okay to shop there?

I think Seonta is wondering if this is going to be widespread. If the entire chain is going to move in this direction.

Thank you fireyone, that is exactly what I meant. If all of them began to use rescues and shelters then I would feel better buying from petsmart.

It really depends on how you look at it. If everyone stopped buying animals from the pet store and only bought supplies, it would send an economic message to the company. If more people shop for supplies at the store that does not sell animals, that will also send a message.

I hope by now most of you reading this know that I do not support the sale of animals in stores or by breeders. However, I do sometimes buy supplies at pet stores based on time, convenience, and where my family is at on the paycheck cycle. If my boys run out of pellets before I can afford the bigger bag and the longer trip to the closest vet that sells Oxbow cavy cuisine, I'll buy it at a pet store. I don't have the freezer space to order in bulk and save it for later, or I surely would.

Thank you fireyone, that is exactly what I meant. If all of them began to use rescues and shelters then I would feel better buying from petsmart.

I agree. Unfortunatly, this one Petsmart is the only Pet Supply store near me, so I go there instead of one that sells guinea pigs from breeders.

The OP said they buy all their pet supplies there. I meant that money.

I know that the money from adopting animal's, go to the shelter's, while I'm pretty sure the money from supplies go to buying more cages to show animals. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm PRETTY sure. This is because the first or second time I was there, they only had 2 cages for the small animals, know they have 12!

Can you find out from them if this is going to become a corporate thing where all of them do it? and also what the petsmart's store number is?
I would also be interested in knowing if you have contacted the rescues or shelters that these animals are thought to come from to make sure they are legit and not just a bunch of cards slapped in front of cages.

Okay, I just looked it up, there are about five Petsmart's in NY where I live, and 3 out of five do adoptions like this one I have been talking about. All of the shelters teamed up with Petsmart I am farmiliar with.

And this Petsmarts store # is 775. lol

Thank you for the store number, this is useful because petsmart's corporation can be mailed with grateful letter regarding what this particular store is doing regarding animals.
Anyone who wants to jump on the bandwagon their address is:
PetSmart, Inc.
Store Support Group
19601 North 27th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 580-6100
(800) 738-1385

I really advise this since if we gloat on what one store is doing then others might follow suit.

Thank you for the store number, this is useful because petsmart's corporation can be mailed with grateful letter regarding what this particular store is doing regarding animals.
Anyone who wants to jump on the bandwagon their address is:
PetSmart, Inc.
Store Support Group
19601 North 27th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 580-6100
(800) 738-1385

I really advise this since if we gloat on what one store is doing then others might follow suit.

Yay! The store number is #775 and this is the address of the store:

790 Jefferson Road, Suite 200
Henrietta, NY 14623
lollollol

This is a nice little breakthrough. Especially since it's starting in New York, that's where a lot of the big changes take place. I will be sending them my opinion on this manner shortly. Let's flood 'em with 'THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!'. :p

This is a nice little breakthrough. Especially since it's starting in New York, that's where a lot of the big changes take place. I will be sending them my opinion on this manner shortly. Let's flood 'em with 'THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!'. :p

Yay! Good Luck! I might too!lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to that store. They still keep and sell reptiles and fish in horrible conditions, and the guinea pigs are in small, squared off aquariams that the store used to sell the hamsters in. They rarely get hay or veggies and their cages are definitely not three feet, let alone five feet. They are smaller than the store bought cages. The rescue keeps their small animals there mainly because they don't have enough room to hold them all at their main location. I adopted one of my boars from there, because I do really like the rescue, but their conditions are far, far from healthy (at the Petsmart. The rescue itself has very nice accomodations, especially for such a crowded shelter).

I've been to that store. They still keep and sell reptiles and fish in horrible conditions, and the guinea pigs are in small, squared off aquariams that the store used to sell the hamsters in. They rarely get hay or veggies and their cages are definitely not three feet, let alone five feet. They are smaller than the store bought cages. The rescue keeps their small animals there mainly because they don't have enough room to hold them all at their main location. I adopted one of my boars from there, because I do really like the rescue, but their conditions are far, far from healthy (at the Petsmart. The rescue itself has very nice accomodations, especially for such a crowded shelter).

??? Are you sure? Because I almost adopted a guinea ig from there and before the rescue associate took her out, she was eating a carrot and nibbiling on her hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.