Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? I need some advice.

Lucille

Cavy Slave
Re: I Don't Think I Can Get Guinea Pigs :(

Perhaps you could look around for insurance. Most policies are for cats and dogs, but if you ask around, who knows you might find pig insurance. I would not think that your premium payments would be very much at all. It's worth a look.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave

Thanks! I will check that out as well!

Thanks everyone for your help I'm not going to give up I will check out my options :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer

VPI offers guinea pig insurance. They're the only ones I know of who do.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave

Looking at their site now interesting....
Thanks so much this is really helpful! :)

Onetwo

Cavy Slave

The thing you should also think about is guinea pigs are best kept in herds/pairs so you will not only have one vet bill but two. Hamsters are critters who do best by themselves so there will only be ONE vet bill.

For now I recommend making a family plan to ensure you have enough money for a FUTURE pet. I would recommend over the next year saving up $300 for cage, food, adoption fees, bedding and what not stuff you will need for the animal. This will cover either a guinea pig or a hamster I think. Then save up at least a $500 emergency fund for each animal in your household. Once you have your emergency fund and your start up cost fund you can decide what would be best for the family.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave

Thanks this is a very smart idea! That way what ever happens, I can cover for either animal. Thanks for reminding me if I get guinea pigs that I will have to go for vet bills for 2 of them i totally forgot that. So... this is alot to think about now with these new things in mind..
Thanks again! :)

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Ok this may be long but it all started out ok I have been debating between a hamster or guinea pig and you may have seen other posts about this well today I basically made up my mind with the guinea pigs. Yes I have been researching for a couple of months now and am so well educated I could explain to someone everything you could need. So today we went to a pet shop to look around (not to necessarily buy I am well aware of adopting pigs) although I wouldn't necessarily call where we went a pet shop yet I wouldn't call it a shelter or anything like that it was wierd. So we go in and immediately go to small mammals and I see two pigs and the lady is right next to us asking what were looking for and she picks up a guinea pig and my little sister and mom immediately gravitate to her and then I start petting her and she starts purring and It's love at first sight that's one of my problems. I know I should not of even fooled with her yet I don't know that was my first encounter with a guinea pig and I didn't even hold her I just petted her and I loved her so much she is really small and looks to be a couple of weeks old. The next problem I have is my mom doesn't know much about guinea pigs or at least what I know so she is listening to everything the lady is saying from looking at the starter cage kit. I'm just thinking what is going on that cage is not big enough or at least I don't think so and then it has items like bedding in it and the lady is explaining vitamin c drops and then i immeditatley think of what I learned here and how those drops take away from the actual water they drink and dehydrates them so I notice that and how the food is Katyee and my moms saying hey that's not bad at all and so much is just going through my head about what is so wrong. I will try and post what the cage looked like and the bedding the lady said was "cheap".
The cage looks like this sorda just those typical cages you see recommended for you

I need some advice.
So now my problem is how can I tell my mom in a respectable way that ALL of this not right. Like introduce her to C and C cages and maybe fleece or a Better bedding like care fresh. Also how can I get over that pet shop pig I think I will just have to get over it as It was my choice to 'tempt" myself in that way. I know this post is probably all over the place alot of spelling and errors and stuff. But I just need advice right now everything is all over the place a couple of hours ago I was'nt even sure I was getting a guinea pig but now to this... What do I do and say?

Chritazy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Show your mom this forum and everything you've learned from it. There are also lots of informational YouTube videos that you can watch with her.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Just FYI, I have merged all the threads you've started on wanting guinea pigs, needing to decide between a hamster and a guinea pig, and trying to convince your mother on various things related to those things. It's a little easier for folks to have all the history in a single place when offering advice.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Show your mom this forum and everything you've learned from it. There are also lots of informational YouTube videos that you can watch with her.

Thanks that's a good idea! I have seen quite a few informational youtube videos thanks I have never thought of this.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Just FYI, I have merged all the threads you've started on wanting guinea pigs, needing to decide between a hamster and a guinea pig, and trying to convince your mother on various things related to those things. It's a little easier for folks to have all the history in a single place when offering advice.

Thank you I was wondering what happened. :)

ViskyCat

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
There is an easy way to fix the vet problem! Just make sure your parents are willing to take the cost if the piggies get ill. I know parents can be hopeless and some say plain NO. But you should know I have the most hopeless father, and still I somehow have two piggies running around in my bed! It's all about showing them how much you want them, the level of responsibility you are willing to take and how much they mean to you. But financially, you shouldn't take that responsibility. They can't expect that from a 13-year old! You deserve to have pigs in your life and they deserve to have veterinary backup. Talk to your parents, they are probably the key! :)

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
Thank you! My mom did say she would help with some costs. Ur right it's very unfair for someone who doesn't have a job or barely any way to make money to have to pay for that AND hay, food, veggies and such. Thanks for the advice talking will surely work :)

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
I think your posts speak for themselves! I am VERY impressed with them! You sound very mature and responsible and I just love how you take the time to create well thought out replies with proper grammar and punctuation! I wouldn't think most 13-year-olds type so well! You don't know how many emails I get from adults who don't type as well as you! Keep it up!

If/when you do get a pet, maybe you could pitch in around the house more to help "earn" the money that your mom will be giving to you.

GL!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I haven't read this whole thread as it's quite long, so forgive me If I've missed something.

I would say 200 dollars is a good start up amount to get everything.

I think your parents need to be aware that vet costs do creep up, and that you will need help paying for it.

If you can't afford a vet, don't get the pigs. It's unfair to ave a pig suffer because you can't provide them with treatment.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
As for your mom being misinformed, maybe direct her to guinea lynx? Explain to her that you've researched a lot of stuff.

My mom is the same way. Once I showed her c and c cages, and adopting she thought I was crazy. But now she's sold.

I'd also encourage you to get two pigs.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My mum was just like that, when we first got Rex and Bubbles..they got vitamin C drops, lived in a hutch and were walked on with a lead. Then about a month later I learnt about C&C cages and they got a 2x11 with a 2x8 loft..we stopped the water drops and the lead and the cage was inside.

Now days...as soon as my mum sees someone doing the slightest thing wrong to a guinea pig..she always asks me if that's not right (just to check) and then I'm usually the one who has to hold her back sometimes as sometimes it's just not worth telling the people because they just do not listen. Now..she wants to help every piggy in need..so different from when we first got my two boys..we just listened to the pet shop..got them from a friend (phew something good).

So, if your mum learns about proper piggy care she also might go a bit crazy with piggy passion but she'll understand and learn so much she would of never believed was true and she'll see that you're not just making things up about proper piggy care.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
I think your posts speak for themselves! I am VERY impressed with them! You sound very mature and responsible and I just love how you take the time to create well thought out replies with proper grammar and punctuation! I wouldn't think most 13-year-olds type so well! You don't know how many emails I get from adults who don't type as well as you! Keep it up!

If/when you do get a pet, maybe you could pitch in around the house more to help "earn" the money that your mom will be giving to you.

GL!

Thank you! I try and correct as much grammar I can remember and such because I don't want people to think I am a baby who doesn't know anything and shouldn't care for guinea pigs also keyboarding class helped :) Thanks I will pitch in around the house maybe she can also take me more serious that way and help out even more.

Cheerfulangel2

Cavy Slave
As for your mom being misinformed, maybe direct her to guinea lynx? Explain to her that you've researched a lot of stuff.

My mom is the same way. Once I showed her c and c cages, and adopting she thought I was crazy. But now she's sold.

I'd also encourage you to get two pigs.

Thanks ya I'm going to talk to her more about vet bills currently I have over 200.00 to buy supplies and such from past savings and such but with all the vegetables and hay and food eventually if something like vet bills come up I will need help no doubt so I will talk to her about it. Thanks it's ok if you didd'nt read it all some of it is merged from previous threads that all tie up with this one ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.