Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding wondering about cage size for 4 boars

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone-

I have been thinking about getting more guinea pigs for a while now. 2 pigs is just not enough lol I was wondering what size cage would be suitable for 4 boars... Of course, if they didn't get along, I'd try to split them into 2 pairs. If that happened, then each pair would at least get a 2x5. I think the largest cage I can fit in my room is a 4x6 or 3x7 (maybe a 5x6..I don't know, I'll have to double check). A 5x6 would probably cover about 1/2 of my room..Mom probably wouldn't be too happy about that lol This is just an idea; I might not even be allowed to have 4 piggies in my room, but I'd like to know the cage size in advance. The 2 new pigs would probably not come until May/June.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

P.S.
If anybody owns a herd of males, I would love to hear how you bonded them and what cage they live in. Thanks in advance :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Yes, I can. And I've looked at that chart on the home page; 2x6 is the minimum for 4 pigs. However, I thought boars needed way more space than the minimum requirements/female piggies, right? I'm just curious what size would allow all 4 to get along well.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I would suggest a 3x6 or 3x8 that if you have to plot them up into pairs of two each could have a 3x3 grid cage or a 3x4 grid cage. However if you really want a 2x grid size for 4 boars that would comfortably help insure that they get along I would say 2x10 would be best so that you can easily separate into 2 2x5 cages if needed. But many have said that Boars tend to get along better in 3 grid wide cages. The absolute minimum for four boars would be 2x7 grid cage.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Alright, thank you!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I had 4 boars in a 3x6 and that worked well until two young ones went into terrible stage and bugged the crap out of the two 4 1/2 year olds. if they are going to be all about the same age, I'd say minimum 3x6, if you have to split them up a 3x3 is good. Have 2 -4 hay areas, food dishes, water bottles and have them all over. No closed hidies, wide tunnels works best, make them from two bent grids. hang two bent grids to make awning type hidies once the grids are covered by fleece.

wondering about cage size for 4 boarswondering about cage size for 4 boarswondering about cage size for 4 boars I know if you use fleece having hay every where is hard but at least try to have two hay areas.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Switching the subject a bit, would adult pigs be better than babies? My intention was to look for baby pigs, but since you said that it kind of stirred things up a bit once they hit puberty, I'm having second thoughts. The 2 pigs I have right now are males that are somewhere between 1-2 years of age. Flyn is the boss pig (I think), although it's hard to tell sometimes. In the past, he has always been the more dominant one except when he was a baby and he was with and adult. I'm a bit worried that if I decide to get 2 more adult pigs I might cause Flyn to get upset. What if I accidentally pick a pig that's extremely dominant? Would a shelter know who's dominant and who's submissive? Flyn's not extremely bossy, but I'd say he does like to be the leader and frequently remind other pigs who's in charge :)

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Also, would a 3x6 be best on the ground or on a stand like you have, @lunarminx? I have had a 3x6 in the past (for just 2 pigs) and it was on the ground. In order to clean it, I had to literally step inside the cage. Now, I have 2 pigs in a 2x6 on a 2 grid-high stand, and cleaning is not that difficult. I imagine a 3x6 on a 1 grid-high stand (like you have in the pics) really hard to clean. And yes, I do use fleece.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I had a 3x6 on a 1 grid high stand before and it was hard for me to clean but I'm short so I ended up putting it on the floor as it was easier for me to clean and catch piggies cause I could could just get in the cage. But if you have an area where you can put the cage so that only one 3 grid wide part is against the wall and both 6 wide parts are away from the walls so that you can access the cage for cleaning by walking around it then you could easily do a 1 or 2 grid high 3x6.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I went back to the 2 grid high stand. If you have a hard time reaching in you can always make a middle section a 2x so you have an area you can go into to reach everywhere.

trailhermit

Cavy Slave
I went back to the 2 grid high stand. If you have a hard time reaching in you can always make a middle section a 2x so you have an area you can go into to reach everywhere.
Great idea! I have a 2x almost 5. I had a hard time cleaning when they were on a 1 grid high stand. So I put them on a coffee table so it was easier on my back.

Then I used the extra grids to change it from a 2x3. I sort of changed it one grid at a time so my husband wouldn't notice. My piggies have some prime real estate in or living room!
I had 4 boars in a 3x6 and that worked well until two young ones went into terrible stage and bugged the crap out of the two 4 1/2 year olds. if they are going to be all about the same age, I'd say minimum 3x6, if you have to split them up a 3x3 is good. Have 2 -4 hay areas, food dishes, water bottles and have them all over. No closed hidies, wide tunnels works best, make them from two bent grids. hang two bent grids to make awning type hidies once the grids are covered by fleece.

View attachment 81673View attachment 81674View attachment 81675 I know if you use fleece having hay every where is hard but at least try to have two hay areas.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.