Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Weird Aggressive Behavior

arod18007

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy - re-reading my post, it sounded a little defensive. No harm intended. I value your opinion as a moderator and fellow cavy owner. However, I feel as I have exhausted my options. Unless there are any I have overlooked, I will have to wait for a nearby shelter or craigslist to show another female guinea pig. Unless I re-introduce them for a third/fourth (lost track) time? Could that be a possibility? This question is addressed to all btw!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
My post wasn't only intended for you, but for anyone else reading this thread with their own similar situations.

You might try another introduction, or you could find a neutered male. Neutered male/female pairs usually work well. Another option is a baby female--often older pigs don't see babies as a threat and will accept one more readily.

madrae

Cavy Slave
I had to separate a pig. It was a really hard decision.

Like the stories above, I had four female pigs, huge cage, everyone was eating and drinking from multiple locations. They lived this way for about 9-10 months, without incident. One day I found tufts of hair all over the cage. Long story short, one of my quietest, I-like-to-be-in-opposite-end-of-all-my-cagemates, had just flat out had enough of the younger pig that tries to be boss. The other two pigs accept the pigs dominance, no problem.

So I pulled the pig that actually did the biting. She is in her own 2x3, about 2 feet from the larger cage. Then I thought, "What now?". But after about a week, I noticed a huge change in both cages. All the pigs seem more relaxed, and the one alone doesn't sit in a corner all the time. She zooms, sniffs our hands instead of running, I no longer have to serve her food in her "tent". I've had her since she was a baby, and it seems like a complete personality change - she's happier, friendlier, out in open more.

I have not given up hope on my Lone Pig though. After a lot of observation and pondering, I am convinced she just really did not like the one pig that constantly has to show dominance. Since the other 2 accept it, I left the herd of 3 alone. But recently I just adopted a pig, and she is in quarantine/pregnancy watch. I think there is possibility there to find a friend for my Lone Pig.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
You might try another introduction, or you could find a neutered male. Neutered male/female pairs usually work well. Another option is a baby female--often older pigs don't see babies as a threat and will accept one more readily.

I'm going to try one more introduction after Eevee's check up vet appointment. If that doesn't work, I was actually considering a neutered male too. Question about the neutered male, how can you tell if he's neutered? Will it be obvious as in he'll have...ahem...missing parts? I'm just curious because I don't trust a lot of Craigslist adds in my area as a woman tried passing off a GP as female that was obviously male just because I told her I was looking for a female.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's usually obvious if a male is neutered, but might be hard to tell if the pig is really furry down there. Cavy Spirit has some photos of males before and after (although the after shots are soon after surgery).
https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

Are there any guinea pig rescues in your area? Sometimes they have neutered males.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
It's usually obvious if a male is neutered, but might be hard to tell if the pig is really furry down there. Cavy Spirit has some photos of males before and after (although the after shots are soon after surgery).
https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

Are there any guinea pig rescues in your area? Sometimes they have neutered males.

Sorry or the late reply. Unfortunately there aren't - there used to be but they relocated to a neighbor state. There is a hamster rescue that sometimes has guinea pigs. I have found a woman on a facebook swap group that's looking to rehome some males that she says are neutered. I have been talking to her and she sounds trustworthy - she as a few guineas and rats. Shes says she lost her job and that's why she's looking to rehome. I'm considering it but I'll want to meet her and the pigs before I decide on it. Thanks for the link as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.