Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet The basic Guinea Pig diet...?

Guinea Pig Gal

Cavy Slave
Seeing as I am new to owning a Guinea Pig, I wanted to know the basic diet, how much vegatables/pellets, what type of vegetables/pellets/hay, if some are unsafe, etc. etc. So if you could help me out by naming what a Guinea Pig's diet should be that'd be helpful :) I already know they need: a certain amount of Vegetables everyday, a certain amount of pellets, and unlimited hay ^-^

Guinea lynx has a list of safe veggies (and how much and how often they can have it). adult pigs should get 1 cup of veggies per day.

the recommended pellets are either KMS Timothy pellets or Oxbow adult pellets. adult pigs should get about 1/8c per day.

Hay should be any long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard, bluegrass etc)

Guinea lynx has a list of safe veggies (and how much and how often they can have it). adult pigs should get 1 cup of veggies per day.

the recommended pellets are either KMS Timothy pellets or Oxbow adult pellets. adult pigs should get about 1/8c per day.

Hay should be any long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard, bluegrass etc)
Does a Guinea Pig a bit over than 3 years count as an adult?
Will SmallWorld brand pellets work?
I have Timothy hay ^-^

Your guinea pig needs pellets that are made of timothy hay. Small World pellets are unsuitable for guinea pigs, as their main ingredient is wheat middlings, which guinea pigs should not have. The second ingredient is alfalfa, which is too high in calcium for adult guineas -- it should not be fed to pigs that are over six months old.

The only pellets we recommend are those from KMS Hayloft (have to be ordered online) and Oxbow.

Your guinea pig needs pellets that are made of timothy hay. Small World pellets are unsuitable for guinea pigs, as their main ingredient is wheat middlings, which guinea pigs should not have. The second ingredient is alfalfa, which is too high in calcium for adult guineas -- it should not be fed to pigs that are over six months old.

The only pellets we recommend are those from KMS Hayloft (have to be ordered online) and Oxbow.
My goodness! I am super glad I know that now!!! I will get the new pellets for Mr. Butterscotch ASAP!!!

Yes your guinea pig is an adult, all guinea pigs over 6 months are technically considered adults even though they don't stop growing until they are roughly 1 to 1 and a half.

Yes your guinea pig is an adult, all guinea pigs over 6 months are technically considered adults even though they don't stop growing until they are roughly 1 to 1 and a half.
Ooooh, okay, thank you :D

An adult guinea pig diet should consist of:

1/8th of a cup of plain timothy pellets (KMS or Oxbow are the only recommended brands in North America)
unlimited long stranded grass hay (timothy, orchard grass, bluegrass, brome, meadow)
1 cup of fresh veggies

A couple everyday staple veggies are red or green leaf lettuce and green bell pepper. Some other good add-ins are zucchini, tomato, cucumber and Belgian endive.

You want to be careful with dark leafy greens (Kale, spinach, dandelion) and herbs (parsley, basil, ect.). Many of them are extremely high in calcium which can cause bladder stones.

An adult guinea pig diet should consist of:

1/8th of a cup of plain timothy pellets (KMS or Oxbow are the only recommended brands in North America)
unlimited long stranded grass hay (timothy, orchard grass, bluegrass, brome, meadow)
1 cup of fresh veggies

A couple everyday staple veggies are red or green leaf lettuce and green bell pepper. Some other good add-ins are zucchini, tomato, cucumber and Belgian endive.

You want to be careful with dark leafy greens (Kale, spinach, dandelion) and herbs (parsley, basil, ect.). Many of them are extremely high in calcium which can cause bladder stones.
Thank you! That helps a ton :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.