Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Spring Water for Guinea Pig?

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if it was okay to use kroger carbon filtered and ozonated purified water? I have an extra gallon. I use bathroom tap water(doesn't taste very good though) for now. Will spring water help her more, or make it taste better? Thanks for any help and replies!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't think I'd offer spring water since it has minerals in it. Water purified by reverse osmosis would be better. I know some people don't recommend distilled but my vet recommended it so I buy either distilled or water purified by reverse osmosis.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @pinky. Depending on the source of the spring water, it may have a lot of calcium in it. The bottler may be able to give you that information. But the reverse osmosis water should be ok.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I've heard distilled water can make you sick if you drink too much, so I don't think I'll be giving her distilled water. I'm pretty sure I have RO water, but it can be expensive. I've thought about the minerals it could have...it doesn't list the ingredients. Don't you think it would be ok for her if we can drink it? Just my 2 cents.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I've heard distilled water can make you sick if you drink too much, so I don't think I'll be giving her distilled water. I'm pretty sure I have RO water, but it can be expensive. I've thought about the minerals it could have...it doesn't list the ingredients. Don't you think it would be ok for her if we can drink it? Just my 2 cents.

Just because water is safe for you to drink doesn't mean it's good for guinea pigs to drink. They're susceptible to stones from excessive calcium and/or minerals. Tap water is not purified through reverse osmosis. You'd have to have a "reverse osmosis" filtering system in place to have your tap water filtered that way. Not all water purification systems use reverse osmosis so you'd have to check and see whether yours is. If you have softened water, it adds minerals back in.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You can get jugs of demineralized reverse osmosis water at the grocery store. They are never too expensive, I get 4 liter jugs for $1.60 which lasts a few weeks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
RO water is about 40 cents a gallon at my local grocery store, and I can bring in my own jugs.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks. I won't give her spring water or distilled water. I want to make sure she's safe and happy, I'm taking no risks. I'll give her some RO water and she how she responds. Thanks everybody! ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.