Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Poop in food and eating

Nickthestick

Cavy Slave
My piggy spots is about 5 or so months old and has been putting his poop in his food bowl and eating it is this normal? He is a male and always has food in his dish is this a good thing or should i take it throughout the day he is from a pet store and they had it always available too but he only eats a little at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
My hunter is the same age.

I've read that eating their poop is normal here's a link with the information about it: (broken link removed)

My vet told me having pellets always available is a bad thing because the piggy can gain bad weight. Make sure that spots has fresh hay ALWAYS and give a cup of veggies. I only give hunter pellets at night, 1/2 cup. His diet should contain mostly fresh hay. At least, this is the advice my vet provided me.

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
Sorry to chime in just wanted you guys to know they should only be getting 1/8 cup pellets. You will read that from everyone on here and here's the link for you to see. https://guinealynx.info/diet.html

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually @RodneyLuv30 and @Happy Cavy, the recommendation is for guinea pigs less than six months old to have unlimited pellets, as they need the protein and the calcium for their growing bones. They get switched to timothy and restricted to 1/8 cup at six months.

@Nickthestick, that's pretty normal behavior. Mine do the same, but I always assumed they pooped in their bowl rather than putting it in there.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
I was once videotaping one of my pigs and he pooped a few times, then turned around and ate them one by one. So I think it's normal.

Nickthestick

Cavy Slave
Actually @RodneyLuv30 and @Happy Cavy, the recommendation is for guinea pigs less than six months old to have unlimited pellets, as they need the protein and the calcium for their growing bones. They get switched to timothy and restricted to 1/8 cup at six months.

@Nickthestick, that's pretty normal behavior. Mine do the same, but I always assumed they pooped in their bowl rather than putting it in there.

I watch him put it in his bowl lol. But is it normal for it to be moist too. Like its still solid but its wet. He is always drinking water tho not sure if that has anything to do with it

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
It's normal to have moist poop. Our girls do all the time. If I recall correctly, that's the poop they tend to eat (more nutritious?).

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
I love that we can talk about GP poop :)

My Catnip has wet poops, too. They are more fragrant too! I always figured it was his veggie poops vs. the hay poops, lol. smelly, slimy suckers.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nearly all poop is moist when it's first passed, but it dries out quickly.

And, @LucyPenny, that's not the cecal poops that they eat. You'll almost never see one of those, but when you do, it will be green, squishy, and smelly.

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
Oh okay, good to know. I certainly never see any that look green. Usually the only smell is a after they eat bell peppers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.