Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Looking For Nutrition Help :)

Sugars

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone!

I needed some help. I'm starting a small, local business of natural supplements for piggies!
I'm going to be drying herbs/plants in a way that keeps the nutritional value in while keeping it from perishing so quickly. I'm doing this because in my local area not many people have easy access to the herbs/weeds/plants that I use or will be using.
Obviously I'm not creating meals for them, only things to add.
I've been learning about nutritional plants for animals in Agricultural Science, and I'm aware that guinea pigs are modified mono-gastric, similar to horses. So I've based some of the information from that. I've also researched the nutritional values of each herb/plant.

My current mixes (please help me add or remove anything that is unnecessary or incorrect)

Pregnancy/Juvenile Mix
(I do not agree with breeding, however some people end up with pregnant sows and may need supplements)
-Alfalfa (Calcium)
-Dandelion (Vit. C)
-Oats (Protein)

Weight Gain Mix
-Oats (Protein)
-Parsley (Protein/Vit C.)

I really appreciate all the help!

I wouldn't know how to do it but you should try to make a joint support mix for piggies that are aging and/or having trouble with arthritis i think that would be popular!

@Simpsonspiggie8 Well due to my other research I know that magnesium is important for joint support. I'd imagine a slight elevation in calcium would also be good. Vitamin D also helps to build and maintain strong bone..it also helps with calcium absorption.
If anyone knows natural (and piggy-safe) sources of these nutrients I'd be super happy to come up with a mix for it!

I heard that Dandelion greens can help with joint support you should try that :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.