Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet One Guinea pig eating more then the other

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
only one of my Guinea pigs comes out to greet me for food the other one sits in its igloo until I leave but only eats some of the food. They are both looking healthy and are not showing any other symptoms of sickness.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Is this a new environment for the pigs? The pig just may be shy. Guinea pigs are prey animals so are naturally skittish.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
one of our piggies is a bit more skittish than the other, so when it's veggie time, we put a bowl in front of each hide house so that they each get their veg.

of course, they will always run out of the house and steal from each other, but this way, they both get veggies and we have a bit more control over how mug they're each getting.
Rather one big pile of veg, where thy will eat all of their favorite and leave none for the other pig. ex: Olive will eat ALL the lettuce while Peanut is eating ALL the cucumber, so Olive doesn't get cucumber and Peanut doesn't get Lettuce

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
One of my piggies seems to eat less than the other one too. I wouldn't worry unless they are losing weight.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
I have had them for 4 months about and once in awhile the skittish one loses about 3 ounces but she gains the weight back.

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
one of our piggies is a bit more skittish than the other, so when it's veggie time, we put a bowl in front of each hide house so that they each get their veg.

of course, they will always run out of the house and steal from each other, but this way, they both get veggies and we have a bit more control over how mug they're each getting.
Rather one big pile of veg, where thy will eat all of their favorite and leave none for the other pig. ex: Olive will eat ALL the lettuce while Peanut is eating ALL the cucumber, so Olive doesn't get cucumber and Peanut doesn't get Lettuce

usually one of them eats all the fruit (when they get fruit) and the other skittish one eats only a little lettuce

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
Is this a new environment for the pigs? The pig just may be shy. Guinea pigs are prey animals so are naturally skittish.

One of them starts popcorn get when I come into the room and jumps on the bars and waits for food. The other one just sits in the hide house.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.