Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Emergency-moving: Need to fly this week!

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
I'm moving very last minute and I need to fly out to CT to Bradley International Airport. I have two boys (guinea pigs) and I'm very distressed about this. Every airline I've called doesn't accept guinea pigs in the cabin. I'm looking at my options and I see Delta and United have pet programs, but Delta won't take them under the plane in the month of September (this month). Has anyone flown united and stowed their guinea pigs under the plane with their PetSafe program? I really want the best for my boys and I don't want to give them up. I don't have a lot of options and this all happened very fast. Or does ANYONE know of an airline that flies to CT and allows them to be carried on (that you've experienced or know someone who has...?)

I don't want to give them up to the rescue... I got one of them from there and he's such a skittish little thing he was missing part of his ear and was covered in bites. The other pigs pick on him and he was so skinny. We've managed to plump him up a bit and heal his wounds and I don't want him going back there. Nothing against the rescue, he wasn't UNHEALTHY but he won't be happy there... Please help me. :( I love them to death and I don't know what to do.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I don't know if Frontier Airlines has a flight from your location to your destination but they allow guinea pigs in the cabin. It's worth checking in out, good luck!

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
I don't know if Frontier Airlines has a flight from your location to your destination but they allow guinea pigs in the cabin. It's worth checking in out, good luck!
I know I read Frontier did, and I got so excited, but they don't fly there. :( I really don't want to give them up I will cry. I'm already on the verge of tears about this...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Frontier is the only one I know of that will take guinea pigs in the cabin.

I know people who have used the PetSafe program, but I believe they will only take pets in cooler weather -- too much danger of heat stroke while waiting to be loaded, or while changing planes. If that's still the case, possibly you could find someone to care for them until it cools off enough to fly them.

What city would you be flying out of?

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Frontier is the only one I know of that will take guinea pigs in the cabin.

I know people who have used the PetSafe program, but I believe they will only take pets in cooler weather -- too much danger of heat stroke while waiting to be loaded, or while changing planes. If that's still the case, possibly you could find someone to care for them until it cools off enough to fly them.

What city would you be flying out of?

I'd be flying from FLL to BDL... I wish I knew someone who would take them but I don't... I see Delta won't, I emailed United because they seem pretty good but I don't know. It's all happening really last minute and it sucks.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Is there any way you could fly to a destination close to where you're going with Frontier and rent a car to drive the rest of the way there with your pigs? :confused:

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Is there any way you could fly to a destination close to where you're going with Frontier and rent a car to drive the rest of the way there with your pigs? :confused:
I'm not old enough to rent a car... I don't even have my license. I am 20 years old and relocating with my family and am probably flying with my younger siblings ahead. My parents would drive the car up. My dad doesn't like my guinea pigs and won't let them in the car with him. They are my responsibility and so I have to figure something out...

It's looking like I have to give them to the rescue. I'm so sad. :'( Been crying... Does anyone know if Frontier goes anywhere near CT?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Frontier doesn't fly any closer to where you're going than New York City.

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
This sucks. I've been crying for like an hour. I'm going to miss them so much.

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Very few airlines fly to BDL (Hartford).......I know......I live in CT. The closest you will get is to fly into LGA (LaGuardia) on Frontier.

Why do you think you have to leave them behind? Book your flight to LGA and then take the CT Limo (van service) to BDL......or wherever the limo terminates in CT. So long as you don't have much luggage and can get to CT, I can help you from there if I'm available. Do some research on ground transportation from LGA to BDL to see what your options are.

Don't give up so easily! There's always a way to make it happen. :cool:

I'm flying with three little children and one older. How much is the CT Limo do you know? My parents don't want to spend more money if we are flying... :( My dad wants me to get rid of them completely. I told him if I have to surrender them to the rescue (it's a NO KILL place!) I will be adopting more. No question.

If you live in CT, would you happen to know of any guinea pig rescues near West Hartford? If I have to give them to the rescue I will absolutely want to adopt-I would want a bonded pair. I'm so depressed about this...

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Ooo.....an entire family.....that changes the picture. CT Limo is not inexpensive.

Rescue in West Hartford, no. BUT, there is a lovely little rescue about 25 minutes from me on the way to Hartford. I teach in East Hartford and we could probably coordinate things.

I fully understand that cavies are not disposable........I love mine to distraction. However, it sounds as though it just may be too difficult to move with your piggies. Why not consider rehoming them, and when you get settled in your new home and have a piggy home set up as well, I'll help you find just the right pair.

Thank you so much! If I adopt again (more like WHEN) I would appreciate it so much. I'm so sad to see them go. I've had the first one for a year (I got him ON labor day) and the second one joined a few months later. I haven't been this depressed in a while. :(

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
huge hugs hun, safe jurney...

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I'm so sad. I'll just have to get more and fall in love all over again.

Some people don't understand what it's like having guinea pigs. They are adorable, and therapeutic to have, in all honesty. Mine have helped me through some pretty rough times, and I've done the same for them. I can't imagine being separated from them, but it looks like it has to happen. I spoke with so many airlines today and begged them to make an exception for me. I don't understand why the heck they're so strict. Like, bunnies are okay but guinea pigs aren't? What do they do already! If anything they are less disease transmitting or allergy causing than most animals! My father is allergic to animals with fur but he doesn't have a problem with the pigs. It's so upsetting. It's like the world is racist against guinea pigs. (If you know what I mean). :(

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Maybe it's the noise guinea pigs might make. Rabbits are for the most part really quiet, but piggies can be extremely loud when they want to be.

I'm so sorry you have to part with your beloved piggies, they really do steal your heart.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear about this.. Good luck to you! I know I couldn't part with mine :(

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone. You all understand me!

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Emergency-moving: Need to fly this week!
I took this photo of them today. How cute are they? I love it because the white and blonde one (Cosmo) is the outgoing one and more of a "bully" (he would never ever hurt Chewy though) and Chewy is the super shy, skittish one, and in this photo they look the opposite. Cosmo looks totally submissive and like he really loves Chewy. I showed this picture to my mother and she started crying. We are so sad to see them leave but I am going to adopt two more (planning on getting a bonded pair) and giving them a great home.

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
Nope, has nothing to do with noise. It is the simple fact that they are "rodents".....or at least that seems to be the prevailing thinking. I formerly worked for a major airline and inquired of one of the execs about this.
I hate when people refer to guinea pigs as rodents. They are more like live teddy-bears. Adorable and cuddly. Not what you think when you hear "rodent."
And yes, rabbits are adorable and "rodents" as well, but I don't hear as many people calling rabbits "rodents."

pigger123

Cavy Slave
That's weird that they don't allow rodents. I guess they don't want rats and mice, but guinea pigs are nothing like those (I'm not saying that rats and mice are bad pets, since I love them, I'm just saying that most people who don't like them probably wouldn't mind piggies).

Rabbits aren't rodents, that's why you don't hear people calling them rodents. :) Rodents have 2 top incisors, but rabbits have 4.

Schweitz

Cavy Slave
That's weird that they don't allow rodents. I guess they don't want rats and mice, but guinea pigs are nothing like those (I'm not saying that rats and mice are bad pets, since I love them, I'm just saying that most people who don't like them probably wouldn't mind piggies).

Rabbits aren't rodents, that's why you don't hear people calling them rodents. :) Rodents have 2 top incisors, but rabbits have 4.

Oh cool I never knew that. I thought rabbits were rodents... What family do rabbits belong in then?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.