Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

When Rescues have inferior care to Pet Shops?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't believe they read their emails as I've emailed before with no response. Perhaps a letter instead?

I know on the feeding of produce thing because I used to drop off fresh snacks for their small animals quite often, and they said the only time they get them is if someone brings some in to donate.

The pet store is a small local one, not a chain. I'd rather not say the name as it's easily traceable to the town I live in and don't want to divulge that online. :)

I still wouldn't buy from the pet store. We used to have a privately owned pet store in my area. They seemed to treat their animals well but they got them from a breeder. There's no reason to support someone who is needlessly breeding when there are so many animals being euthanized. Your pet pet store would be better off not selling animals and invite rescues to come in and hold adoption events. They'd get business from people who are adopting and a good reputation for supporting shelters and rescues.

FlyAwayZephy

Cavy Slave
I still wouldn't buy from the pet store. We used to have a privately owned pet store in my area. They seemed to treat their animals well but they got them from a breeder. There's no reason to support someone who is needlessly breeding when there are so many animals being euthanized. Your pet pet store would be better off not selling animals and invite rescues to come in and hold adoption events. They'd get business from people who are adopting and a good reputation for supporting shelters and rescues.

I wasn't really trying to endorse the pet store, or make the assumption non-chain stores are better. I just mentioned it wasn't a chain to explain why I won't say the name of it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm a little confused here. Did you get your guinea pig from the pet store you're referring to in this thread? You posted another thread saying that your guinea pig wouldn't eat carrots or kale because she didn't get any fresh foods at the pet store you got her from. This thread says they feed fresh vegetables. Doesn't make sense to me.

[

FlyAwayZephy

Cavy Slave
I'm a little confused here. Did you get your guinea pig from the pet store you're referring to in this thread? You posted another thread saying that your guinea pig wouldn't eat carrots or kale because she didn't get any fresh foods at the pet store you got her from. This thread says they feed fresh vegetables. Doesn't make sense to me.

[

Different stores. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Different stores. :)

So, why did you buy a guinea pig from a pet store that sounds as bad as the rescue you're referring to when there's another one that's absolutely wonderful according to you? And if it's so wonderful, why won't you disclose the name of it? If what you're saying is true, it would be a positive endorsement. I have to say, I doubt that "wonderful" pet store exists.

FlyAwayZephy

Cavy Slave
So, why did you buy a guinea pig from a pet store that sounds as bad as the rescue you're referring to when there's another one that's absolutely wonderful according to you? And if it's so wonderful, why won't you disclose the name of it? If what you're saying is true, it would be a positive endorsement. I have to say, I doubt that "wonderful" pet store exists.

Wow, provoking much?

I'm not replying to any of that. I don't do fights, sorry. I'm only interested in discussing the topic I posted. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Wow, provoking much?

I'm not replying to any of that. I don't do fights, sorry. I'm only interested in discussing the topic I posted. :)

No, I actually think you are the one who wrote a provocative thread and are unwilling to back up what you've stated. I asked you to provide the name of the pet store and you won't. The only reason I can think is that it's not what you say it is.

FlyAwayZephy

Cavy Slave
No, I actually think you are the one who wrote a provocative thread and are unwilling to back up what you've stated. I asked you to provide the name of the pet store and you won't. The only reason I can think is that it's not what you say it is.

I already stated the reason. The name easily links back to the town I live in. I'm not comfortable divulging where I live on an internet forum. It's totally unsafe.

I started this thread to discuss it, I was curious what people thought. If you want to fight, go elsewhere, I'm not interested. I'd be more than happy to share opinions, but no way am I giving you personal information.

FlyAwayZephy

Cavy Slave
I do think I might send the rescue a letter. Any suggestions on how to make it sound not lecturing, so they'll be receptive to it?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I do think I might send the rescue a letter. Any suggestions on how to make it sound not lecturing, so they'll be receptive to it?

I just think that if you come on pro rescue site and try and convince us that that buying from a pet store is better than a rescue, you need to back up what you're saying. Not all rescues are perfect but adopting is always better than buying. I'm not arguing but I'm asking you to prove your point which you're unwilling to do. Naming a pet store in no way traces back to you, especially since you bought your guinea pig from a different pet store. I think you'd be better off contacting the pet store and giving them the information to treat their animals better.

FlyAwayZephy

Cavy Slave
I just think that if you come on pro rescue site and try and convince us that that buying from a pet store is better than a rescue, you need to back up what you're saying. Not all rescues are perfect but adopting is always better than buying. I'm not arguing but I'm asking you to prove your point which you're unwilling to do. Naming a pet store in no way traces back to you, especially since you bought your guinea pig from a different pet store. I think you'd be better off contacting the pet store and giving them the information to treat their animals better.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If you're pro-rescue, that's great! More power to you. If you're not, then as you said, this forum isn't going to line up with those beliefs. But that doesn't mean we can't have a discussion on pet stores with good management (and how rare they can be, and what effect they still have on the guinea pig population), and more importantly to me, rescues with bad/mediocre management, how they compare to pet stores, and what can be done about it.

I am absolutely not giving you the store name. If you're comfortable giving out personal information over the web, that's your choice. Now you need to respect my own choice.

Right now, I'm asking for suggestions for a letter to a rescue whose management isn't up to par. Do you want to add to that?

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would donate material for C&C cages, or even find a way to raise money for supplies. A C&C cage can easily be built for $35 and they can be modified for rabbits. Even if the pigs were kept in 2x2 or 2x3 cages it would be better than what you are describing. Shelters are usually extremely underfunded and the poor care is probably not due to not caring, but simply not having the money to purchase supplies. They are pretty much bound by what is donated to them and most people donate dog and cat food rather than Guinea Pig and Rabbit supplies.

The pet store on the other hand, has unlimited supplies at their disposal and plenty of money to provide proper care for the animals which it is attempting to sell. By supporting the pet store, you are perpetuating the continuing operation of breeding mills, while ensuring that a shelter animal remains in the shelter.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. If you're pro-rescue, that's great! More power to you. If you're not, then as you said, this forum isn't going to line up with those beliefs. But that doesn't mean we can't have a discussion on pet stores with good management (and how rare they can be, and what effect they still have on the guinea pig population), and more importantly to me, rescues with bad/mediocre management, how they compare to pet stores, and what can be done ab

I am absolutely not giving you the store name. If you're comfortable giving out personal information over the web, that's your choice. Now you need to respect my own choice.

Right now, I'm asking for suggestions for a letter to a rescue whose management isn't up to par. Do you want to add to that?

I just want to say that you need to back it up when you make a point. It could come back to bite you and you can lose your credibility.....and if you're pro rescue or pro adoption and not just rescue bashing, the best way to help is to get involved and volunteer. If it costs $30 to take part in their program and it's important to you, do it. The $30 is probably a way for them to raise money to support the rescue. Once you have your foot in the door and they know you are serious and reliable, they might take your suggestions seriously and implement some of them. It's very easy to look in from the outside and judge without knowing the whole picture. Most rescues operate in the hole and rely on donations or money out of their own pockets to keep afloat. I doubt that any are perfect rescues but they do whatever they can to save animals and find them good homes. Adopting frees up another space to save one more animal. Buying just ends up with breeders breeding more animals.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
If you provide them with some care sheets (maybe print up 50 or so of the GL care sheet, and find something good on House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide) as a gift to give to their adopters, they might be receptive. Also, donating some good pellets and hay, a bag of carefresh, or a couple C&Cs would probably improve the conditions the pigs and bunnies are kept in. Yes, that would cost money out of your pocket. But if you just go in there and say "feed this, house them on that, get new cages, do everything differently," they are going to be annoyed that you think you know everything, and they're going to say "we have no money in the budget for this stuff."

They're probably not trying to mistreat guinea pigs and rabbits; they're probably doing the best they can with some critters they don't know about that they found in a box on their doorstep one morning. They're overworked, underfunded, and on the verge of burnout. If you want to help them, join them. If you don't have $30, beg them to let you help with the small critters.

FlyAwayZephy

Cavy Slave
If you provide them with some care sheets (maybe print up 50 or so of the GL care sheet, and find something good on House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide) as a gift to give to their adopters, they might be receptive. Also, donating some good pellets and hay, a bag of carefresh, or a couple C&Cs would probably improve the conditions the pigs and bunnies are kept in. Yes, that would cost money out of your pocket. But if you just go in there and say "feed this, house them on that, get new cages, do everything differently," they are going to be annoyed that you think you know everything, and they're going to say "we have no money in the budget for this stuff."

They're probably not trying to mistreat guinea pigs and rabbits; they're probably doing the best they can with some critters they don't know about that they found in a box on their doorstep one morning. They're overworked, underfunded, and on the verge of burnout. If you want to help them, join them. If you don't have $30, beg them to let you help with the small critters.

That's an awesome idea, the care sheets being kind of like a "donation".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.