Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Rescued 3 girls, they all might be pregnant :o/

BumblePiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone. My name is Amber. I am new to the forum and a "new" piggy momma (haven't had one in over 10 years.) A couple weeks ago I came across an ad on CraigsList of a woman who was looking for someone to adopt her children's guinea pigs. They had lost interest in them. She had 2 boys, and 3 girls. The boys had been adopted so I told her I was interested in the girls. They came with their cage and accessories and enough bedding to last at least a month or longer. I went to see them and fell in love with them instantly. The woman had them eating crappy food (though she was giving veggies and hay) and I knew that I had to get them some good stuff right away. 2 of them were in great shape (besides their nails needed major trimming) the mom however was quite skinny and I just knew that I had to get her better.

I have a cavy savy vet apt tomorrow for all 3 of them to get checked out. Rosie (the mom) is actually the smallest of the 3,(I'll explain more about her later) the youngest Lilly is the biggest (she's the one that I think is definitely pregnant) she is quite pear shaped, and Daisy is just a sweetheart but is starting to take on a pear shape. Maybe I'm just paranoid because they had boys living in the same house (but in a separate cage) the woman told me they never had floor time together, but I think you all know how that goes.

To be on the safe side I'm not handling Lilly unless I need to change the cage. She is very skiddish and freaks when I even slightly touch her stomach. (Haven't felt any movement yet) and I have started mixing Alfalfa hay in just to be on the safe side.

I have a Midwest Guinea Habitat as the main portion of my cage. In terms of baby proofing what do I need to do? The slats are pretty small, but I have no idea how big a baby guinea is. Any help with this will be much appreciated.

I will try to post some pics later, if I can get a good shot.

Well first of all, welcome to the forum and thanks for rescuing those babies!

I adopted 2 pregnant sows in October and let me tell you, it can be very hectic and stressful if you're enduring more than one pregnancy simultaneously.

I think you're doing great though. There's no way to tell for sure until the vet visit, but I'd just continue to be careful during handling and feed extra vitamin C :)

As far as baby proofing, you could attach coroplast to the bars above your base.

I have the same cage except I have 2 that my 2 boars share. When I got my younger one he was "3 weeks old" according to the lady but he was probably half that. He couldn't't fit through the bars but he likes to climb so I kept the top on. Also if you have 3 in one Midwest, you need another at least, and maybe more if all are actually pregnant. On amazon they are $30 each which is usually less than a C&C cage, so its a good deal. Those cages are connectable too. Best of luck! And pigtures are a must here! :)

Thanks for rescuing them. We need pictures!

A MGH cage isn't large enough for three sows, and certainly not for three sows and babies. See the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better.

You won't need babyproofing in that cage, but if you add any cube grids, you'll have to put coroplast or cardboard up the sides to keep them from escaping or getting their heads caught.

Thank you for all your responses.

The MGH cage is just part of the cage, it's set up right now in a L shape, I have the ramp that leads down to a 2x2 C&C kitchen area. I have doubled up the grids on that but how high should the sides be?

I'm in the process of planning a large cage, and going thru my daughters toys to make room for the larger cage. She has a dollhouse that is about 4ftx2ft that I'm trying to either convince her of getting rid of or will make room in the other room for it. Soon enough my piggies will not know what to do with all the space they are going to have. Unitl then I'm trying to let them have enought floor time to stretch out and explore.

P.S. The vet called and cancelled on me, so now it's next Tuesday that she will be able to see them.

I'm trying to upload pics of my girls, but it won't let me. Any pointers?

These are the best pics that I could take.
This is Rosie. She's the Mom but the smallest of the 3. Rescued 3 girls, they all might be pregnant :o/
This is Daisy. See the 1 lump on the side of her? Rescued 3 girls, they all might be pregnant :o/
This is Lilly. I got 2 ok shots of her. Rescued 3 girls, they all might be pregnant :o/
Prego or Chubby? What do you think? Rescued 3 girls, they all might be pregnant :o/

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts as to if you think any of them are "pear-shaped"

It's hard to say... I think the last picture could be a possibility?

It's hard to say... I think the last picture could be a possibility?
I know right? Only time will tell. Lilly is still very skiddish. Warming up a lil more to me everyday but I'm not handling her a lot. I don't want anything to happed if in face she is pregnant.

and make sure they are getting extra vitamin c! :)

Thank you so much for rescuing these girls, they are very lucky to have found you.

Daisy definitely does look pear shaped. I would start weighing them on a kitchen scale and recording their weights. Gestation period is around 59-72 days. As others have said, if she is pregnant you will have to add extra vitamin C and Calcium to her diet, a good source of vitamin C is green bell pepper. Good luck, please keep us updated on how the vet visit goes.

I got my pregnant girl Cookie a similar way. The girl said she had been with a male, and never got pregnant. That is why she wanted to get rid of her. So Cookie had 3 babies. I kept one, and rehomed the other two. Although I was scared it would hurt or kill her, it all worked out great, and the babies were very healthy. They are ready to re-home rather young, so it was fun and quick. A little too quick really.
Guinea pigs have very well developed babies. They are large, but can still fit in small spaces. I have a Midwest cage and I took the fabric liner out, and replaced it with coroplast that I got very cheap at the sign shop. It worked great for the babies! I have since move everyone into a larger C and C, and use the midwest for when the visit my work.

Thank you so much for rescuing these girls, they are very lucky to have found you.

Daisy definitely does look pear shaped. I would start weighing them on a kitchen scale and recording their weights. Gestation period is around 59-72 days. As others have said, if she is pregnant you will have to add extra vitamin C and Calcium to her diet, a good source of vitamin C is green bell pepper. Good luck, please keep us updated on how the vet visit goes.

Aww. Thank you. I'm going to get a scale on Tuesday. And I was scared that they would not like peppers bc they have never (to my knowledge) had them, but they LOVE them.

I'm glad to hear things went smoothly for Cookie. I'm really nervous for my girls too. I just ordered some more supplies for a bigger cage because I think Lilly is hormonal. Her and the Momma were rumbling/nudging each other this morning. Is this normal? What are hormonal signs to look out for? Should I seperate them if they keep doing it? I don't want to cause stress if they are prego. How much is too much?

Just let them be -- they'll work any issues out between them. You only need to separate if there's bloodshed or if one is being harassed to the point that it can't eat and is losing weight.

Just let them be -- they'll work any issues out between them. You only need to separate if there's bloodshed or if one is being harassed to the point that it can't eat and is losing weight.

Thank you. I will keep an eye out for that.

Just wanted to give everyone an update:

None of my girls have had babies yet :( It's so frustrating to play the waiting game. I have however baby proofed and am all ready to go.

I started weighing them earlier this week:

6/25/13 Tuesday (the first weigh in)
Daisy 983g
Rosie 1030g
Lilly 1007g

6/28/13 Saturday (today's weigh in)
Daisy 1057g (+74g)
Rosie 1104g (+74g)
Lilly 1123g (+116g)

Any thoughts on the weight gain? If they aren't pregnant (which could be anyday now or about 3/4 more weeks to go-I got them May 14th so I'm thinking the latest the babies will come will be 7/16 or 7/23 if they got prego days before picking them up) any thoughts on why else they would be putting on weight?

I will be posting some new pics either tonight or tomorrow to give an update on the shape of them :)

I don't know how true this is for all guinea pigs, but could they have just been emaciated when you got them? My Niko was very skinny when I got him, and has doubled in size in two weeks time. However, both of mine are still really young.

It's definitely hard to tell what the exact reason of weight gain is, it could be pregnancy, but it also could just be that they're on a proper diet now

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.