Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Nami Medical Thread - HAY POKE

Nannub

Cavy Slave
My chubby girl Nami woke up yesterday with a squinting eye. I was having money problems but I managed to get money and make a vet appointment for tomorrow at 6. Anything I could do to help her until tomorrow? Help is appreciated.

Nami Medical Thread - HAY POKE

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what you could do for the eye until your appointment. Maybe someone else will have some advice for you. I just wanted to tell you that my pig had a hay poke and the vet gave her some eye drops and within just 24 hours her eye looked so much better. By day two her eye was completely back to normal.

I hope your Nami will respond as quickly.

thank you so much. I've been feeling so sad and worried. I'll definitely be switching from timothy to orchard grass after this situation

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Basically the only thing you can do is try to rinse it with saline. That may or may not help. One of my pigs severly poked her eye on something in her cage last summer and she actually had an indent in the eyeball from it. Her eye got cloudy white and red in color and it looked absolutely horrible. The vet gave us medicated eye drops and although it looked so terrible, it healed completely and she's totally fine now. Eye issues tend to look worse than they are. I'm sure your piggy will be fine :)

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Basically the only thing you can do is try to rinse it with saline. That may or may not help. One of my pigs severly poked her eye on something in her cage last summer and she actually had an indent in the eyeball from it. Her eye got cloudy white and red in color and it looked absolutely horrible. The vet gave us medicated eye drops and although it looked so terrible, it healed completely and she's totally fine now. Eye issues tend to look worse than they are. I'm sure your piggy will be fine :)

Thanks! I hope so too! I'll be worried until tomorrow after the vet. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'll try to rinse it tonight and keep you update.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
One of mine actually had a piece of hay stuck in her eye. I took her to the vet immediately (emergency appt.). He removed it and gave me an antibiotic ointment to place in her eye for a few days. She healed well, with no negative side effects. (It was Timothy hay.)
Hope all goes well tomorrow at the vet!

Nannub

Cavy Slave
One of mine actually had a piece of hay stuck in her eye. I took her to the vet immediately (emergency appt.). He removed it and gave me an antibiotic ointment to place in her eye for a few days. She healed well, with no negative side effects. (It was Timothy hay.)
Hope all goes well tomorrow at the vet!

I'm starting to dislike timothy hay. My pig seems to be okay at the moment but I'll see what the vet says tomorrow. I couldn't make an emergency appointment because sadly I work until 5.30 everyday and the vet wasn't working late. The cavy savy I like (she's my other pig's vet) is there tomorrow so yay! Question, how much would antibiotics cost me?

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Also, she's bonded to my other pig Victoria. Do I have to take them together so they don't separate and don't have dominance problems later? Maybe it's a dumb question but I'm wondering

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It depends, how long will the car ride be? How do they get along in a small space? How do they act when separated for lap time?

For one of my boar pairs I always take both when I go to the vet. They absolutely hate being separated, even for lap time and they get along really well in the carry cage as they cuddle up to each other for the whole care ride. The ride to my vet is either 10 minutes or an hour and a half, depending on which clinic my vet is at on the given day. One of my other boar pairs prefers their space so I always only take the one, there is no way they would tolerate being in the carrier together.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
It depends, how long will the car ride be? How do they get along in a small space? How do they act when separated for lap time?

For one of my boar pairs I always take both when I go to the vet. They absolutely hate being separated, even for lap time and they get along really well in the carry cage as they cuddle up to each other for the whole care ride. The ride to my vet is either 10 minutes or an hour and a half, depending on which clinic my vet is at on the given day. One of my other boar pairs prefers their space so I always only take the one, there is no way they would tolerate being in the carrier together.

Last few times I handled them separately the other one in the cage looked for the other pig and wheeked non stop. They sleep next to each other in small piggy beds.

Nannub

Cavy Slave

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
I'm starting to dislike timothy hay. My pig seems to be okay at the moment but I'll see what the vet says tomorrow. I couldn't make an emergency appointment because sadly I work until 5.30 everyday and the vet wasn't working late. The cavy savy I like (she's my other pig's vet) is there tomorrow so yay! Question, how much would antibiotics cost me?
That appointment cost $95 USD. I think the exam was $30, so the antibiotic ointment was probably $65.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
That appointment cost $95 USD. I think the exam was $30, so the antibiotic ointment was probably $65.

Oh my, so expensive. But they're worth every penny. Fur babies

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Hay poke? She's pregnant....

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
That was unexpected...
Is her eye okay?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
You cant say she's pregnant because its not a great picture to go on. Unless you took her to a vet and they told you she was pregnant.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Her eye is okay. Vet said cleaning it with saline solution was a good call. Also, I got her a month ago. I didn't know she was pregnant? I'm not a guinea pig expert so I'm sorry if it sounds dumb.
Here's the xray they took. There's two babies. Hoping for the best. Please don't buy guinea pigs. I made the mistake before joining the forum and reading about pet stores. Now I'm in a messy situation.

Nami Medical Thread - HAY POKE

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
How old is she? and How far along does the vet think she is?

Nannub

Cavy Slave
How old is she? and How far along does the vet think she is?

I don't know for sure how old she is. But the vet said she seems to be really young. ~6mo and that she could have them in the next weeks. I'm freaking out.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
From what I've seen on the forum, it's good that she's young. Less chance of complications. I'd be freaking out too.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
From what I've seen on the forum, it's good that she's young. Less chance of complications. I'd be freaking out too.

I know this is completely my fault because I bought her and didn't adopt. But I really need advice on this situation. I just hope nothing bad happens to her, she's bonded to my other guinea pig, Vi.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.