Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Momi, pregnant update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG im so sorry about Momi. Maybe Momi lost too much blood while having her babies? I can't believe that happened. You can crush up the pellets very good til its like powder and mix it very well in water and syringe it to the baby. I believe it's 1cc like 3 times a day. But i may be wrong. Buy a syringe form a pharmacy that they use for kids and babies to give medicine and use that to syringe the mixture to the baby that way.

okay thanks.

Feel right above the genital area where the "penis" would be, and see if you feel a ridge type thing there.
Okay. What do you mean by a ridge? I know this sounds gross but his private area is just to squishy and moving. When I touch it it goes back. I'll have to wait a while.

Okay. What do you mean by a ridge? I know this sounds gross but his private area is just to squishy and moving. When I touch it it goes back. I'll have to wait a while.

Like as if theres a small stick under there skin, a hard pole like feeling.

I'm so sorry to hear about Momi and the other babies. If I were you I'd call you're vet. I have no idea about hand feeding for babies but I'm sure if you have a good exotics vet they can tell you, you might need a supplemental formula or critical care. Hope the baby does ok.

@ (broken link removed) pm a mod asking for direct help HURRY! I am so sorry about your loss.

I'm so sorry! I have a rescue pig ready to pop any day now and I am so scared for her. I hope the baby pulls through alright!

I'm sorry you lost the mom.

No milk for the baby. The main benefit of milk for infants is the immune system support it offers, and since the mom has died, there's no way to get that. Other milks are no substitute.

Unlike kittens and puppies, guinea pig pups are born mature and can eat on their own. You can try cutting things in match-stick sized pieces and offering it to the pup. Probably on your lap would be best, rather than letting it huddle in the cage by itself. I'd start with lettuce and bell pepper, and maybe a slice of apple peeling. You want it to eat, and now's not the time to worry about its sugar intake.

You need a syringe to give it fluids, which you'll need to do several times a day until it learns to drink from the water bottle. Unflavored pedialyte would be a good thing to use, as it has electrolytes in it that the pig needs. If you don't have syringes, tell the pharmacy that you need syringes without needles to feed a motherless baby animal, and they'll probably sell you a few.

If you use the pedialyte, keep it in the refrigerator and don't let it sit on the counter after it's opened. Also wash the syringes very carefully, because that stuff molds in a hurry.

Don't worry about sexing the baby at this point. What s/he needs is comfort and reassurance, not someone poking at his/her private parts.

Let us know how the baby is doing. Be sure to weigh it morning and evening and record the weights. It will probably lose weight the first day or two, but should start gaining if you can get it to eat.

I'm so sorry to hear about Momi and the other babies. If I were you I'd call you're vet. I have no idea about hand feeding for babies but I'm sure if you have a good exotics vet they can tell you, you might need a supplemental formula or critical care. Hope the baby does ok.

what baby? There is no baby anymore. He died last night in my hands I couldn't do anything. too late to rush to the vet. he died within 3 mins I found him

Palpate lightly just in front of his anus and where a penis might reside. You don't have to touch his genitals, just in front (toward his belly) of them. If it's a male, you should be able to feel his penis just under the skin. Press very lightly to see if a penis pokes out at you. ;)

I did that and yes one did. so he was a boy. but sadly he died yesterday.

I'm sorry. It's very hard to keep a lone baby alive when there are no other guinea pigs around.

@ (broken link removed) pm a mod asking for direct help HURRY! I am so sorry about your loss.

I found a good way to help him eat. he ate a lot. Not too much. but he got some kind of disease and died last night.

I'm so sorry! I have a rescue pig ready to pop any day now and I am so scared for her. I hope the baby pulls through alright!

I'm unlucky. mamas babies died when she poped. then mama died then baby died. now I am alone. i have no one

I'm sorry. It's very hard to keep a lone baby alive when there are no other guinea pigs around.

Yeah. I cried and I'm still crying. We're going to burry him today. thanks so much for your help.

These are the last pics I took of mom and baby. then last pics of baby too.

Momi, pregnant update! prnicess and mama piggy back rideMomi, pregnant update!this is princess's first pictureMomi, pregnant update!prnicess with mama the night before she died Momi, pregnant update! princess with mama. poor princessMomi, pregnant update!princess

I took more but that's all that they let me put one here.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine the heartbreak of losing mom and all the babies too. At least some good might come out of this if people who are thinking of breeding read this thread and see that the 20 to 25% mortality rate often quoted here is true and became very personal for you. It's one thing to read numbers, and quite another to read a sad real-life story like this. That's why I always share the story of my pet store piggy, Mufasa, who died so quickly, on threads where people are thinking of buying from a store. My thoughts are with you and your poor little piggy family that lived such short lives.

@mufasa thanks. I used to not mind as much when people say they were going to breed, probably cause I didn't go through it until now. and I hate breeding. whoever says they want to I will tell them what happened to me.

so sorry for your loss!!! You're in my thoughts :(

Status
Not open for further replies.