Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Food stuck in nozzle

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Earlier today I noticed the water level in my pigs' water bottle hadn't dropped. I inspected it and found the ball was stuck up in the nozzle. I cleaned it out and a huge wad of chewed up food came out! I put it back together and fed the boys; later today I investigated it because Little Bear would try to drink for a second and walk away...and it was clogged again! I know who my culprit is (Gimbly), because he is constantly going back and forth when I feed them pellets. Is there anyway to prevent this? I'm concerned that the bottle will get clogged on one of my longer work days. I have no idea how long it was clogged this time. They have a big water bottle so I only have to change/refill it every couple days. They don't get pellets very often, maybe every other day, so I'll have to be careful with the time I feed them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Multiple water bottles, one more than the number of pigs you have. It's unlikely that they'll all get stuck at the same time.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
It happens a lot! Check those water bottle spouts frequently. I give them a little tap each morning and night to make sure they are working properly.

Guinea pigs are notorious for playing with their water bottles and my lot always need a drink between mouthfuls of pellets too so that gets the spout gunky.

Take @bpatters advice...have extra water bottles readily available so if one gets stuck or leaks profusely unexpectedly your guinea pigs always have access to bottles that are full & work.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
What about trying a water bowl? That might work.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
What about trying a water bowl? That might work.

Little Bear and his original brother Bruin had a water bowl. It works but it gets dirty fast, and I was changing water twice a day. I'm so glad my pigs learned to drink from a bottle.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Little Bear and his original brother Bruin had a water bowl. It works but it gets dirty fast, and I was changing water twice a day. I'm so glad my pigs learned to drink from a bottle.

Agreed. They get dirty really fast. My gps like to poop in them when I have tried them.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Oh, sorry, I didn't know...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.