Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Best type of pellet + hay?

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Hmm, I guess I'm a bit stuck then. Would be going pellet-less worth it?

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Right now our piggies are eating Oxbow Cavy Performance for young pigs, but will be switching to Oxbow Cavy Cuisine soon, as they will be over 6 months at the end of this month. Right now, they are eating Small Pet Select Timothy hay. They seem to like it a lot. I bought a large box so it is going to last us a long time. It seems much fresher than the stuff you buy at a pet store. I order the pellets online through wag.com or drsfostersmith.com...they seem to sell it cheaper than I can find at the store.

Blanche45

Cavy Slave

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hmm, I guess I'm a bit stuck then. Would be going pellet-less worth it?
You could go on a pellet free diet, the only thing in pellets that pigs can't get in a veggie is vitamin B, if your pig has access to natural sunlight then they shouldn't have a problem.
Other then that, pigs can get all of there vitamins from there veggies.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
@MochaAndMoo Thanks for the info :) I might consider going pellet less. @SardonicSmile Sorry I didn't reply, I don't know what ZooPlus is :D

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
With natural sunlight, I assume to help the piggies make vitamin D, it only counts when there is no barrier, like windows, between the sun and the piggies. (Same goes for humans)

A natural light bulb may be an option.

It just sucks that there are so few healthy food options available in Europe. I have gone semi pelletless, only feeding low calcium veggie flakes, hay and fresh veggies.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
I think I will just limit the pellets, and give them half of what they get now. Hopefully I will find some local hay and pellets (I'm very doubtful though! ;))

Last edited:

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
I get my hay from Farm and Pet Place. They are local to me so I can pick it up. If you have somewhere to store it a bale is £5.80 (about 50lb I would say) and delivery is a few pounds I believe. Its a mix of timothy and orchard grass. You get some golden bits in it but also lots of nice green hay and for the price its no big deal to pick out the nicest bits. And they don't sell animals!

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Timothy and meadow grass that should be.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for all of the information. I have decided to go pellet-less, and feed my remaining pellets as treats every once in a while. Is there any good pelletless diets that I could follow? I have searched but couldn't find any thing guinea pig specific.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all of the information. I have decided to go pellet-less, and feed my remaining pellets as treats every once in a while. Is there any good pelletless diets that I could follow? I have searched but couldn't find any thing guinea pig specific.
A lot of people I know with pigs on pelletless diets sit their pigs on their laps and sit outside for a while, maybe put Bubble and Squeak on your lap and sit outside, this will give them some much needed vitamin D (I accidentally said B last time, Ooops). I believe @RodentCuddles has all of her pigs on a pelletless diet, maybe she can help out. As for finding good sites with Pelletless diet tips, I did a quick google search and found nothing useful.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Would a natural light bulb help (I saw someone mention it)? When the weather Is good Bubble&Squeak get to have a few hours outside. I've been looking at vegetable nutrition charts, and putting together some plans.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
try to find local grown hay, much cheaper and jest better for the environment since they don't have to transport far. It can be found a supply and feed store or even rescues. I find mine at the local pet store/ rescue. Its all a lot cheaper. I get it for $1 LB!

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
Burgess guinea pig feeds used to contain corn, a commonly known filler ingredient. If you are switching to Oxbow, that would be a great choice! Of course I do not know if Burgess still contains that corn, but it might be nice to stay away from it just in case. Switch to Oxbow, KM, or Sweet Meadow hay/pellets and you will be very happy! I do know that Kaytee's quality of hay and pellets is very low. Therefore, BE WARNED!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I do a pellet-less diet...I found little info/help looking around the internet, this forum or guinea lynx when I started.

If you have any questions or come across any then feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help out and give you info on my experience/thoughts. :)

prlegl

Cavy Slave
I am feeding our piggies Kaytee Premium Timothy Fiber Diet- Timothy Complete Plus. Is that a good food? I was using Oxbow Young Pig food and they didn't seem to like it. I also feed they Kaytee Hay and they like it better then then Small Pet Hay & Grasses| Doctors Foster & Smith Western Timothy Hay. I am due to buy them more food but I would like to stick to one good one. Please advise.

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
[I am feeding our piggies Kaytee Premium Timothy Fiber Diet- Timothy Complete Plus. Is that a good food? I was using Oxbow Young Pig food and they didn't seem to like it. I also feed they Kaytee Hay and they like it better then then Small Pet Hay & Grasses| Doctors Foster & Smith Western Timothy Hay. I am due to buy them more food but I would like to stick to one good one. Please advise. /QUOTE]Kaytee has pretty low quality pellets. Since your guinea pigs didn't like the Oxbow you could always give Kleenmama's a try! (broken link removed)

scruffytufty

Cavy Slave
i cant help, my guineas are on pets at home nuggets and hay x

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
A natural light bulb may be a good idea, but it has to be one that covers the correct spectrum of light. Over at Guinealynx a member (pigjes) has had a lot of stones trouble, she lost one pig, but another is doing really well right now. She uses the lightbulb for, I think, a maximum of 20 minutes a day.
There are vitamin D drops, but I don't know how much vitamin D pigs actually require. I am thinking of giving my sludge pig one drop per month (1mcg). (I come from a family of vitamin D deficient people and they all take a really high dose once a month, so I figure this may be okay for a pig too, though I don't know if 1mcg is actually a high dose for pigs)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.