Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Best type of pellet + hay?

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
My piggies are currently on Burgess Excel Tasty Nuggets, but I've heard it has sweeteners and some bad ingredients in (I've forgot what they were called). They are also on Burgess Natural Forage Hay, though its really expensive for a little pack. So, my question is, what is the best type of hay and pellet? I want to try Oxbow Cavy Cuisine as I've heard it's very good, although Pets at Home do not stock it. I can get it online, though I wanted to see what other pellets and hay are. Any recommendations? Thank you! :)

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
Ii feed all my smaller animals Oxbow :) Its expensive but honestly its worth the price for a fat happy pig lol

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Oxbow is lower in calcium compared to Burgess, which is better for adult pigs. Especially if they have issues with sludge.
It's quite expensive in Europe though, but as you only need to feed 2 tablespoons daily per pig it's not that bad.
Some pet stores sell bags of locally grown hay, you can check the quality & then purchase larger quantities from the farm itself which is much cheaper. But any green, fresh grass hay would work well. Burgess hay is often quite dusty, stemmy & not green at all from what I've seen.

Last edited:

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
I feed high calcium veggies tho.. so it evens out.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I feed high calcium veggies tho.. so it evens out.
How old are they? If they are younger than 6 months & you feed Cavy Performance, there's no need to supplement with high calcium veggies.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
three are over a year, one is only one and a half months old and then another is less them 6 months. I feed according to age.. they have a good proper diet no worrys

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I looked at quite a lot of pellets because of a pig with sludge problems. The best pellet I found was JR Farm grainless complete. It is available at zooplus.

it is timothy based and with 0,5% calcium the lowest in calcium I could find. Even for pigs that do not have calcium issues it is a good pellet.

bnt1988

Cavy Slave
Small Animal Select is by far the best hay I've ever gotten. I feed my pigs Oxbow Animal Science. Great stuff! I've also heard Klean Mamma's has some good stuff too.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I feed mine Kleenmama's 3rd cut Timothy hay. Most other brands I've seen have a lot of hard stems or brown pieces, which my girls just pull out of the hay rack and throw on the ground. Buuuut, since you live in the UK you probably can't get KMS or the shipping would be horrendous.

For pellets I am trying different things right now. I used to feed them Kaytee Timothy Complete, as it is cheap-ish and doesn't seem to have any more bad ingredients in it than other foods recommended on the forum. Since I have more disposable income now, I decided to try Oxbow pellets. The girls aren't terribly excited by them. They will eventually eat them now, but they don't all run to the bowl like they used to with their old brand. Since they weren't eating their Oxbow pellets at all for a while I ordered some pellets from KMS, which I haven't tried giving them yet. But they love the hay, so maybe they'll like the pellets too.

Sorry if I'm terribly unhelpful. :)

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
Sludge problems??

I'm in the UK as well (as you can see).
I went for Marsdens (found them cheap on eBay) and Wagg (Sainsbury's and various pet shops).
Both can be had for just over 1kg/£1.
I've only had 2 piggies for a month so by no means qualified to give any sterling endorsement. But I tell you everything I know so experts can tell us what I've done wrong.
Marsdens are entirely small brown rods like some fibre cereal.
Waggs have all sorts of things in them:
Cylindrical and rounder brown bits (happens to look EXACTLY the same as dried guinea poop, which is a bit worrying).
All sorts of other yellow green things like cornflake and rice-grain-casing

In order, my piggies prefer
veggies
Wagg brown bits
hay
other veggies
Marsden brown bits
Wagg other bits

Also their poops smell cleaner and healthier sometimes and I suspect that's when they're eating Wagg's brown bits rather than when I force them to eat up Marsden bits.

To be honest they seem very happy with the Wagg brown bits, it's them not eating a lot of the other bits that worries me.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Wagg is full of all kinds of crap and choking hazards. Marsden I wouldn't trust based on not being able to find an actual ingredients list (and they sell 'breeder food >().
If its cheap its generally cheap for a reason.

I feed Burgess excel - reading off the package there are no sweetners or nasty things. The calcium is 8g/kg. I just feed them less than the recommended (1 pigs portion between 2 pigs) so I don't give them too much calcium.

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
Once again I learned something and clearly need to switch. A quick glance on Burgess Excel Tasty Nuggets says it contains mint to aid digestion. I really don't think my piggies need that. Their digestion and poop seem absolutely fine except, if anything, they are a bit gassy - and that's what mint does, right?

Is there a mint-less alternative?

Last edited:

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
I believe mint aids digestion in general and doesn't contribute to gas. The same way we'd drink mint tea to settle your stomach and reduce gas. The other one they do contains blackcurrant which if anything is sugar they don't need.

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
We are currently feeding our girls some locally made alfalfa pellets because we have one pig that's nursing, one under 6 months, and 2 newborn pigs. We initially fed them Kaytee timothy hay because it was convenient but just bought some Oxbow. I've been mixing it slowly in because the girls really do like the Kaytee but I want to feed them something better. Once they are on Oxbow completely I'm sure they will love it.

Angels_Daddy

Cavy Slave
I would definitely just go with Oxbow for pellets :) It is expensive, but worth every penny. Oxbow+fresh veggies+hay=one happy happy happy piggy!

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Sorry I didn't reply very quickly! :D The problem is I can't get any KleenMama's, Oxbow or any of the good pellets. I've swapped Burgess now (the price was also horrendous) and just gone for Pets at Home pellets. They have no bad flakes/cereal bits, contain Vitamin C and are a good price. Are these still okay? I'm feeding Pets at Home Timothy hay too. I did do a post a while back asking if buying products from pet stores is still supporting the breeding mill, and it is, and although I'm currently using pet store products, I'm still searching for local products instead :)

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Eat one of the Pets at Home pellets yourself. They are actually quite tasty as they are packed with sugar and apple. I wouldn't give them to my pigs.
The Pets at Home pellets are £4.50 for 2kg and they sell Burgess for £5.50/2kg. Its not a huge price difference you can shop around and find them cheaper online. I would risk giving my pigs diabetes or something for the sake of £1.

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
I feed my pig Kaytee hay, which has those alfalfa things in it. She's only four months and a few odd days, so that's all right. I also feed her oxbow's young guinea pig pellets, although she doesn't eat them much anymore :/

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
[MENTION=25398]Iklepink[/MENTION] Thank you for the info :) Is there any other brands in the UK that I could try?

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
We are somewhat limited pellet wise (good quality ones anyway) in the UK. Oxbow is imported and pretty pricey, then Burgess seems to come out second best and there is also one by Supreme Science but is again expensive and I know I compared it when shopping around but I discounted it (can't remember exactly why but I think nutritional info to price it was no better than burgess).