Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Wheat Grass?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
hi, I've been looking into growing wheat grass and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on doing it indoors, over the winter?

Guinea pigs CAN eat wheat grass right? :silly:

My pigs are getting used to there daily grass clippings, and they really enjoy it. Living in Canada however, we'll only have grass for another month or two TOPS, and I'd like to give them grass over the winter.

From my understanding wheat grass is basically idiot proof, which is why I'm interested in it.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of getting some aluminum pie plates from the dollar store to grow the stuff in, and then getting a small bag of sterile potting soil? I've read about starting the seeds and everything.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
Here is a website that i order my Wheat grass & Cat grass from..!! I use the SOIL_LESS option. You get little trays to grow your seed in. I have had really good luck with the grass and my piggies LOVE it !!!

(broken link removed)

I would highly recommend them..!!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I did a search here for "grow your own grass" and a lot of stuff came up. Also do a search over at Guinea Lynx.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I started growing it last weekend, and it's growing great! Nice and green, and it's already 4 or 5 inches tall! :D

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My girls order their wheat grass from:

(broken link removed)

They LOVE it.. Here they are enjoy it..

DSC00951.jpgDSC00953.jpg

Attachments

DSC00948.jpg

southernfury

Cavy Slave
My girls order their wheat grass from:

(broken link removed)

They LOVE it.. Here they are enjoy it..

View attachment 34606View attachment 34607

Love this pictures...!! Do you worry about them eating the seeds or eating a little bit of soil??? I do the soil-less method..!! I was told they weren't suppose to have the seeds, but i did what you did and just let my piggies munch away...and they ate a few seeds and it didn't seem to bother them. But most of the time they would just eat down until they got to the seed, then stopped and moved to a differ. piece of grass..!!

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I started growing it last weekend, and it's growing great! Nice and green, and it's already 4 or 5 inches tall! :D

The stuff grows very fast...I love it !! In the summer when we have nice grass outside, i will give them fresh outside grass....but it is nice to have grass in the winter to give them..!! I think my piggies would think i'm mistreating them if i didn't give them fresh grass daily....they are some very SPOILED piggies !!!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@southernfury SAME! They've gotten used to daily grass haha.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
well, now i'm pretty bummed! i had tried to grow wheat grass multiple times, multiple ways and never had any real success. the grass either grow too slowly, or developed mold too quickly. The kit you posted the link to @ southernfury sound good - i'm going to take a second look at it.

in this case, it appears to be true- the grass IS always greener on the other side!

southernfury

Cavy Slave
hi, I've been looking into growing wheat grass and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on doing it indoors, over the winter?

Guinea pigs CAN eat wheat grass right? :silly:

My pigs are getting used to there daily grass clippings, and they really enjoy it. Living in Canada however, we'll only have grass for another month or two TOPS, and I'd like to give them grass over the winter.

From my understanding wheat grass is basically idiot proof, which is why I'm interested in it.

Sry i haven't posted in awhile....but here is what i'm doing to grow Wheat Grass for the Winter..!! I got 2 huge pots ( they are made out of recyciled cow poop...and look like cardboard to me...I promise they don't mess AT ALL ) I Love them...but really any large pot-planter will do. I fill them mostly with a good soil about 3/4 of the way up and mix in pine/wood shaving(the bedding type) the rest of the way. The Shavings help keep moister longer and seem to help keep the seeds warmer. I make sure my seeds have a good roots on them and then i just spread the seeds over the tops of my mix, then i moisten them with a sprayer before i add a small layer of shavings over the top. Then lightly mist one more time. After that i get a trash bag to cover them up ( layin it lightly over the pots) And i check the progress dailly, water when needed, then when the sprouts are about 2 inches tall i remove the bags so the plants can get some sun and start to green up. I try to make sure that they can get some sun or light daily...ether by nature sun or my lights. So far the grass is kicking butt.....i have already got 4 clippings off and the grass is stilll growing like crazy. I will post pics of the grass here in a few days, just to show u more of what i'm talking about. But right now this is my tip for growing wheat grass in the winter. The shavings seem to be helping the grass to stay warmer and i don't have to water as often...i just lightly mist daily ! Now i clip the grass for my girls and add it to their daily meals or i hand feed it. It's always the first thing they eat..!! Every once in awhile i will mix cat grass with the wheat and the girls go GAGA over it..!! Even my shy girl will chase me down if i have their grass..!!! I hope this helps..!!!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
If it molded fast you may want to try planting way less seeds @jacqueline

Thanks for the tips!

emsillly

Cavy Slave
i bought wheatgrass for my piggies and they both LOVE LOVE LOVE IT :) i was trying to look and see how often a week i can give it to them they love it so much but i dont want to give it to them alot if they are not supposed to have it alot. does anyone know how often i can give wheatgrass to them?

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Don't you have a thread up on this? I am actually using your method right now! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.