Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Supposedly Bloated Guinea pig?

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi,
I looked at my guinea pig Tigger in her cage tonight and she seems to not be her normal active self. She is lying down and stretching out her feet a lot. I carefully picked her up and she is sitting on my lap, and is very fidgety. She seems bloated and looks like she is in discomfort, but it's very hard to tell because she is squeaking normally. Her stomach does have a semi-hollow sound to it, but it has always sounded like that, ever since she was a baby. The vet opens at 9 am tomorrow, and its 9:45 pm right now. Any suggestions on how to keep her comfortable through out the night?
Thank you!

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Possible she had too many gasy veggies? Like broccoli, brussel sprouts or cauliflower?

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
She has actually never had any of those vegetables...

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Maybe a warm water bottle with a towel over it to lay on while supervised? Being bloated is usually related to gas. So what is her diet been like lately?

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
Pellet food, timothy hay, small amounts of snap peas, carrots, cilantro, and celery in the morning. She also has vitamin drops in her water.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Bloat (Not just a small amount of gas) is a serious medical condition, you need to take her to a vet now.
It could be intestinal blockage or a dangerous buildup of gas, which can be lethal & is very painful.
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

And ditch the vitamin drops in the water, they only change the taste of the water which can result in pigs drinking less.
They become ineffective within ½-1 hour in which the pig would have to drink unrealistic amounts.
Feeding 1/8 to 1/4 yellow or green bell pepper covers the whole vitamin C intake as well as 1 cup in total of varied vegetables daily.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
Oh okay I never knew that about the vitamin drops. Thank you!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Oh okay I never knew that about the vitamin drops. Thank you!

If you don't already have a good Cavy savvy exotics vet on hand, read these links, call around & ask questions. And get her in as soon as possible.
https://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/vet_visit.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/common_mistakes.html
Vet list:(broken link removed)

Also check the vegetable chart, it's very straight forward with what to feed & how often. Really invaluable when shopping.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

The daily staples include 1/8-1/4 yellow or green bell pepper depending on size.
Orange & red contains too much sugar to be feed daily, but 1 slice red bell pepper covers the vit C intake for the average pig.
You can however experiment with different colors if your pig doesn't like the daily ones at first, and feed them in place of occasional fruit.

2 medium/large sized leaves of lettuce.
There are many red & green leaf varieties to rotate. No iceberg. Romaine can cause sludge for some pigs, avoid if that's the case.

Cilantro is a great herb to feed daily which you're already feeding, but there are many other herbs you can rotate.
And chunk of zucchini if your pig enjoys it.

Feed these until your pigs eat them, and then introduce rotational veggies per Ly's diet chart posted above. Around 1 cup daily.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is too late to help your pig last night, but for future use, you can give them pediatric simethicone. A vibrating pillow will also help. In some cases, people have used electric toothbrushes under a thin pad to provide the vibration.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
Thank you everybody for your helpful suggestions. She is looking much better today, but we are taking her to the vet to make sure she is totally recovered.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I always keep baby simethicone on hand. You can give half the pediatric dose two or three times a day. I also very gently massage their belly after each dose to break up the gas bubbles.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
A pig with bloat feels really, really ill and usually does not show interest in food.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@RodentsRus , if you're asking about gripe water, they're two different things. Gripe water is an herbal solution, and its ingredients may vary according to who makes it. Simethicone is an anti-foaming agent that breaks up very small gas bubbles, which then re-form as a larger bubble which is more easily passed.

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I buy Baby Simethicone at the drug store. The store brand is labeled Infant Gas Relief Drops and the active ingredient in each 0.3 ml is Simethicone 20mg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.