Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Newborn babies and hidey issues!

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
Stella just had her babies during the night and now I'm finding my two girls "fighting" over the ikea bed. When Stella was pregnant the house was mostly Ruby's but now that she has 3 babies she "claimed" it because it has the most room. There has been no chattering or rumble strutting but a lot of squeaking when Ruby goes in there. She seems to be fine with the babies just maybe a little too curious! I had another strawberry house in the back right corner but removed it because It took up so much room and ruby didn't seem to like it that well anyway so I attached their corner curtain and I at least see her under it. Is this normal behavior..I don't want Ruby to hurt Stella or the babies or vise versa but it doesn't seem too bad. I just think Stella doesn't want Ruby in with her babies.

This is their cage right now:
Newborn babies and hidey issues!

miniver

Cavy Slave
Try a plastic foot stool. Super cheap from dollar stores, easy to clean, multiple exit/entrance, big enough for more than one piggy. You can drap fleece over them to decorate.

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave
Just make sure to keep an eye on the other female guinea. My guinea pig had three babies a week ago and a huge fight broke out and we lost two babies before we knew what happened.

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
Just make sure to keep an eye on the other female guinea. My guinea pig had three babies a week ago and a huge fight broke out and we lost two babies before we knew what happened.

Aww! That's terrible...what signs should I look for before anything bad happens? Right now Ruby just wants to be close to the babies..she'll sniff them, I don't think she wants to harm them but she is definitely curious about them. Ruby is the dominant pig too if that makes a difference!?

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave
Well Lolo mama guinea was pushing saphron around, it all seemed just like a dominance thing. Then that night there was a lot of squeaking from the cage, wish I would have checked on things earlier. We thought it was Lolo cause she has a tendency to freak out and run around the cage after saphron. But the next day saphron and tiny dancer where together and saphron starting pushing the baby with her nose just like Lolo did to her. I instantly grabbed her and now baby and Moma are separate from saphron. If your worried I'd separate mom and her pups when your not there to intervene.

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
I agree with separating Mom and babies if you feel that they may be in harms way. Just keep in mind that you will have to do introductions all over again once you reunite Stella and Ruby. I've never had a mom and babies but from what I see from other members most guinea pigs make very good aunties to the babies. However I'm certainly sure there are exceptions to that rule.

Good luck with your new babies. Very happy to hear that Stella had a safe delivery and that mom and babies are doing fine.

Thank you! I'm not really sure what to look for as far as if ruby is causing any trouble because these are my first guinea pigs. There has been no rumble strutting or dominance on either ones part other than Stella squeaking at Ruby when she goes under the hidey. I think they are fine together because ruby doesn't seem to want to harm anyone she just wants to be near them and Stella doesn't like it. I just wanted to know if this behavior is ok and normal mother protecting! I really don't want to remove Ruby and have to do introductions.

Also, I think a lot of the squeaking that I hear could just be the babies too because when I just looked in the cage ruby was far away and well it came from a baby (dumb moment) lol :p This whole thread is probably pointless...

susan.nickol1

Cavy Slave
Yeah, these are my first too. What happened with mine was the mama guinea just wouldn't let off saphron and I don't think she harmed them on purpose, just was trying show her dominance and since their so fragile they ended not making it. I noticed tiny dancer was trying to nurse from saphron and she didn't like it. But it's still a mystery cause i didn't catch it, just heard the same squeaking a heard the next day when saphron pushed tiny dancer in the corner. If mama guinea really starts laying into the other, I'd try just to put a mesh or fence like so they can still smell each other but can't get to each other. It's what I did and it's working great, i made it so when baby is bigger and less fragile it can be removed easier, still regret not doing that in the first place, still makes me tear up when I look at their pictures.

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
Yeah, these are my first too. What happened with mine was the mama guinea just wouldn't let off saphron and I don't think she harmed them on purpose, just was trying show her dominance and since their so fragile they ended not making it. I noticed tiny dancer was trying to nurse from saphron and she didn't like it. But it's still a mystery cause i didn't catch it, just heard the same squeaking a heard the next day when saphron pushed tiny dancer in the corner. If mama guinea really starts laying into the other, I'd try just to put a mesh or fence like so they can still smell each other but can't get to each other. It's what I did and it's working great, i made it so when baby is bigger and less fragile it can be removed easier, still regret not doing that in the first place, still makes me tear up when I look at their pictures.

Thank you! The mesh idea is a great idea, hopefully I won't have to use it but definitely will if there's ever even a slight problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.