Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
My name is Karen-May usually go by May.
I have a year old cavy named Spike HelloHelloHelloHelloHello

Not sure of his birthday or even exact age. But his GOTCHA day was yesterday. Lady told me he is roughly a year. Not sure if that means just under, just over, a few months over?, or what?

But I have a question, it's been a while since I've had cavies so I don't remember the veggies. There is a few I remember though. Bell peppers, carrots, cucumber, spinach, and kale. Right now all I have is green bell pepper, carrots, and cucumber. He got maybe a 2 inch piece of carrot cut, 2 inch green pepper, and 2 inch inch slice of cucumber diced yesterday night and slightly less carrot today. I've been removing the seeds from the cucumber. Are they able to eat the seeds? I didn't want to take any chances. Also what other veggies can he have?

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
also one more question, this is the cage he has Hello and this is the problem Hello

What can i use to clean that? Also how would I remove that so it can be cleaned?

Coconut4536

Cavy Slave
how big is your cage

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Have you looked into making a C&C for little Spike? Or maybe getting a friend? (Both will make him healthier and happier) Here's a link to a GREAT chart of veggies: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Cucumber is very high in water, and too much can give poor little Spike some runny poos. I would ease up on it, and maybe limit it to once or twice a week. Green leaf lettuce is invaluable! That, green bell pepper, a baby carrot, and a cherry tomato are daily staples for many of us, and we mix it up with a different veggie or two along with the staples.

Grass hay and quality pellets are must haves as well. Oxbow, KMS, and Sweet Meadow are great sources for hay and pellets! Good luck, and hope you have some great times with your new furbaby! :D

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Have you looked into making a C&C for little Spike? Or maybe getting a friend? (Both will make him healthier and happier) Here's a link to a GREAT chart of veggies: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Cucumber is very high in water, and too much can give poor little Spike some runny poos. I would ease up on it, and maybe limit it to once or twice a week. Green leaf lettuce is invaluable! That, green bell pepper, a baby carrot, and a cherry tomato are daily staples for many of us, and we mix it up with a different veggie or two along with the staples.

Grass hay and quality pellets are must haves as well. Oxbow, KMS, and Sweet Meadow are great sources for hay and pellets! Good luck, and hope you have some great times with your new furbaby! :D

thank you for the reply

The cage is just the starter cage size.

I know about the high quality pellets and hay. Definitely didn't forget about those. :)

As for the C&C cage, I have ALWAYS wanted to build one. However right now he goes back and forth between the living room (warmer during the day) and my room at night (to keep from the cats(they've never been around guinea pigs before))During the day the cats socialize with him through the cage and during his play time out of the cage. My one concern with the C&C cage is/are the cats. I know they can be done with a top but my kitten has tiny paws and will be able to get her paws through the spaces. But I have seen larger cages that are on a base with wheels. The one I looked at was HUGE. Made for breeding rabbits. Used for that as well.

As for a friend for him, I'm waiting just a little bit before I go ahead and do that. He was given to me by someone who could not take him when she moved. He's still adjusting to his new home as are the cats adjusting to a guinea pig. I don't want to put anymore stressors on any of my fur babies right now. Not to mention that is the only cage I have right now. So once I get the larger cage he'll be moved in there and I'll have the smaller one as a temporary home the newbie before putting them together.

What about cleaning the cage? What can I use?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Hooray! You seem like you are very prepared for this pig! :D You could make a 2x3 or 2x4 on wheels. I've seen somebody do that before... If that is Aspen bedding, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take him off of it​ immediately!!!!! It can cause very big respiratory issues! Fleece is what I would go with 100%. You can clean that with a Dust Buster, or a dustpan and broom. There are dozens and dozens of threads on fleece and how to use it if you are interested. There is an exceptional thread called "Fleece: The Study". It goes very in depth about fleece and all the benefits of it!

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
It's not aspen. I am allergic to sawdust so I don't use wood shavings. I like the carefree bedding. The natural kind. Never had a problem with it with any previous cavies. But the stuff he's on his litter pellets. The previous owner had been buying them for as long as she had him

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed) I thought aspen was okay to use, and that it was pine bedding that couldn't be used?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I'm very glad to hear that! I hope you switch to fleece! (And make a C&C :D)

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
OK, this cage is driving me crazy!! lol. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to remove that part to clean it? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles, are you sure? I feel like it's aspen... Let me do some research... You might be right, but I feel like it's aspen. GAH!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure many of us know how to remove it as we don't have pet store cages..

You could clean it with 50/50 water/vinegar.

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles , are you sure? I feel like it's aspen... Let me do some research... You might be right, but I feel like it's aspen. GAH!
lmao

I'm sorry for laughing at your musings. But I totally heard a little voice having a crazy little argument with itself. lol

But from my vet I was warned NEVER to use Aspen

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
You were right, @RodentCuddles.... <hangs head> Aspen is OK. It's the pine you need to avoid... I feel really embarrassed now...... :(

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Haha, no worries @NarwhalsRock !

@tinkermiss Aspen is fine to use, its pine you have to watch out for. (;

Last edited:

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I'm one of those people that is funny like that. I'm the one in my "group" of friends is the one that makes everybody laugh at the most random times! :D I guess it shoes in my posts! :)

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
Oh maybe I heard wrong. It's been a while. But I wont be using any wood shavings anyways

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
I'm one of those people that is funny like that. I'm the one in my "group" of friends is the one that makes everybody laugh at the most random times! :D I guess it shoes in my posts! :)

Haha I'm the same way. I'm a "very weird random thing". And my Ma Ma told me that. lmao

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
what kind of fleece? is it pieces of fleece or like a fleece blanket?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
It's like the type of fleece you can buy by the yard at a fabric store.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.