Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits What the most friendly breed of Rabbit?

Gowroo

Cavy Slave
Afternoon all,

My household is looking into getting a house rabbit. We have been doing our research about how to house and take care of bunnies but we were wondering if anyone could recommend what breeds of Rabbit are most friendly? We are specifically looking at giant breeds but we're not in a rush to get the rabbits as obviously we want to adopt and are willing to wait.

Thanks in advance for any info!

mumof4andzoo

Cavy Slave
We have a velveteen rex, very very friendly. Obviously not a giant though.

Unplug EVERYTHING when they are out of their cage indoors, we lost three sets of christmas lights and the router cable over christmas!! < sigh> i also now am the proud owner of nibbled books.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
There is no such thing as a 'friendly' breed, really. Rabbits/guinea pigs/hamsters etc aren't bred to have specific dispositions the way some dogs are. The only way to possibly guarantee more 'friendly' behavior is to have the rabbit fixed.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Just based on experience, I've found Holland Lops and Lionheads to be very friendly :]

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I have a mini rex and though he is super duper cheeky and like @mumof4andzoo I have lost a lamp to his chewing and he also likes to "read" books, he is a very sweet bunny. he likes being petted, comes up to the sofa and chills up there with my hubby and I when watching TV etc. one of the reasons we got a mini-rex is because we like the size and I read on various websites that they are one of the most popular, friendly and smart bunny breeds. I'm not sure how accurate that is since it's the first bunny for both of us though. honestly, I think in the end it depends mostly on their personality and their upbringing and how socialized they are and ultimately how much time you invest in bonding with them.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I suggest taking a family outing to a shelter/or rescue, handling/meeting all their available rabbits and make the family decision on whom(or whoms) to take home.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Like one other has said small pets are not bred to have specific personalities. It all depends on how you train and treat them. Of course like with any animal if you do sonething they do like they will act. I've never had rabbits so I can't really tell you which breed is friendlier. Fixing the rabbit I've heard calms them down especially as they get older.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Rabbits aren't bred to have specific personalities but individually they are born with them. The only way to find a friendly rabbit is to meet one. :) I also suggest going to a rescue or your local humane society and just spend a day getting to know their personalities and then pick the nicest one. They always seem to have an abundance of rabbits so you shouldn't have trouble finding a place with options. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Lops tend to be more docile and bond well to humans. A good large lop breed is the French Lop. I'm not a fan of the English Lop (another large breed) because of the ears. I feel so bad for them having to drag their ears everywhere. =(

Rexes (mini and regular) have a terrible trouble streak in them. They have caused me more damage than any other rabbit breed I have owned. Definitely something to their personalities that make them stubborn but they are very, very smart.

The commercial breeds like Californians and New Zealands are very friendly but they aren't very smart. All mine learned their litter boxes but they just over all were not as smart as the rexes and Netherland Dwarfs I had.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.