Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Help i think they gave my boys penicillan

craze

Cavy Slave
Hi both our boys had a fight, the vet gave hem baytril and im sure injection of penicillin. Can it be reversedd? They are not eating for 2 days i gave them critical care. They are lethargic and bloated.

We are at another vet now

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
You need to give them probiotics immediately. The most important thing to do right now is restore their gut flora to normalcy. Penicillin makes harmful bacteria proliferate which produce enterotoxins and can be fatal for guinea pigs.

Give them drug-store acidophilus for humans. Do not give them any 'gassy' veggies. Syringe feed water to hydrate them as piggies stop drinking water when sick and thus have trouble pooping. The critical care is the way to go - these guidelines will give you the details.

Supplement their vitamin C.

Your vet might have to give them a shot of a motility drug t get their digestive system moving - this can be a huge help. But please - probiotics and unlimited grass hay. You need to get their gut back to normal.

ETA: And the MOST important, get them to a good vet at once. The best you can find.

Sometimes penicillin can be given in injection form - it's a controversial topic. But if your pigs are showing warning signs then you need a good vet.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
@craze Please post us once you are done at the vet.

Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

craze

Cavy Slave
Thank you we left them at animal hospital for 24hour we waited for their guinea pig expert she was wonderfull. She said 1 piggy is well the other not sure, they will feed them every 2 hours and have given them medicine to get gut moving and reduce bloat. I will post how they go. They have cost us a fortune but we need our little piggies safe and home

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
@craze
Good to hear.
I understand about the expense of it all.
When I was dealing with my Charlie's illness everyone looked at me like I was crazy when I told them how much everything was running.
But when you don't see them as merely a pet, when they are family, you will pay whatever you have must to make them better.

Hope the cavy savvy vet is able to get both of them on track.

amyjaneferguson

Cavy Slave
Hope they both make it out ok! I know how you feel... My little boy just cost me a fortune. He's finally eating again... it's all worth it!

craze

Cavy Slave
12 hours on the younger 1 improved but still a little sick. Ferdi hasnt improved. We are taking some of our healthy piggys poop down and some
hay.

If he doesnt get better within 24 hours should i keep him their? Its almost $1000 a night!

We are back to other vet to ask for receipt for drugs. I hope it wasnt penicillin

pinky

Cavy Slave
$1000 a night? I'd like to see the breakdown of the bill.

craze

Cavy Slave
It is confirmed original vet gave them penicillin we are meeting with owner.

Hospital varies from $500-1500.

Ferdi improved slightly. I wish i wish

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I would keep him there, have you talked to the other vet clinic, I think they should consider paying some of the vet bills for giving the pig a drug that can cause death in guinea pigs. Is the vet that gave the penicillin an exotic vet? Im praying for your piggy!

craze

Cavy Slave
Thank you, not exotic vet but 2 of them seemed pretty good. The best exotic vet is
over 1 hour away and when his toe got amputated it was holiday and the exotic vet closed for 2 days.

I will keep updating thank you for your wishes

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you considered taking him home so you can handfeed him and give him either probiotics or poop soup? I'd hope that for $1000 per night someone would be sitting right by his cage taking care of him, but if he were mine, I'd feel better with him at home.

That said, injected penicillin isn't as bad for guinea pigs as oral penicillin, but it should only be given when there's no other option. A fight wouldn't be one of those cases, as far as I'm concerned.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I agree with bringing him home.

craze

Cavy Slave
We should be picking him up tonight, last night they needed
proffesional help.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Oh man...the original vet gave them penicillin?? You would think that if he isn't 100% sure about treating exotics that he would at least look it up to see if there could be complications from it. The vet I went to downstate would always pull out books so I could see where she was getting her information. She did research before just going ahead and dosing if she wasn't sure. She was also almost an hour away but it was worth it because she didn't look at me like I was nuts when I wanted to treat my pigs.

Please keep updating. I do hope they both make a full recovery.

craze

Cavy Slave
We will visit them in 4 hours!!!

We spoke with the vet, they have only offered to refund the surgery and are trying to say that they have used penicillan successfully before and that the gut stasis could be from anything.

We will see our boys tonight and hopefully go from there and take them home

craze

Cavy Slave
Yay we are on our way home with them!! They still need looking after and ferdis stiches came apart. Everything is looking good

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.