Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Gauging wood pellets smell for safety?

BlueBadger

Cavy Slave
I'm wanting to switch to wood pellets after reading here how long they last and I bought a bag of Tractor Supply brand equine bedding ((broken link removed)). But I'm still kind of confused about how to tell if/when they're safe to use because I've seen some conflicting posts about it being widely used and reliably safe for guinea pigs, or also having different possible wood sources and not guaranteed safe.

I have a sensitive nose and I'm super inexperienced with types of woods and their smells, so how strong of a smell should I reasonably be looking out for? The pellets are currently airing out in a plastic bin just in case and I can smell them from 8-10 feet away (hardly smell a thing if I'm just holding some in my hand), but it's a pretty dull scent -- weirdly almost more like a play-doh smell, to be honest. I know sense of smell is so subjective, but any tips would be great!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use fleece over wood pellets. When the bag is first opened, there's a very mild pine smell, but I can't smell it once the fleece is down.

BlueBadger

Cavy Slave
So as long as they don't smell like Christmas tree/hardware store/Pine-Sol (which is about all I have for strong pine/wood smell reference), and I can't smell them through the fleece, they should be okay as-is? Or should I always air them out first anyway to be on the safe side? I can't find the post again for some reason, but I saw mention that the Tractor Supply pellets still might need airing out and took quite a while to do so.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's really no point in trying to air them out -- it takes months for the smell to dissipate.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Ditto @bpatters, I tried for quite a while to air the pine pellets out from Tractor Supply, but that smell was always too strong in my opinion. I ended up ditching them, and was advised to buy hardwood pellets, which I have been using ever since, under fleece in their kitchen area. I love them, there's no odor and they do a wonderful job of soaking up the urine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.