Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Drained A Cyst, What Caused It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Okay, this video explains everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEytqJ8Fhtc&feature=youtu.be

What could have caused this massive cyst? (PS I was saving up money to take her myself and I was going to be a rebel and get my friend to drive me to get her to a vet, but in the end she didn't need one)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, she does need a vet. It sounds to me like cervical lymphadenitis, which is highly contagious, and which can be fatal to your pig if the infection spreads through the body. She needs to have the sac of the cyst removed, and she needs an antibiotic. Not only that, but expressing it the way you did is probably very painful for her.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Alright, it's not letting me watch the video, but could somebody please sum up what happened?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Squishing with so much force can also rupture a cyst or abscess so it spreads. The pig needs checked for other signs of infection like a fever and given an antibiotic. Otherwise sepsis could set in where the infection spreads through the blood stream to the rest of the body. They die quickly. A nonreactive animal to pain is often a very sick animal without the energy to complain.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Actually, I wasn't applying very much force at all, and she is a very relaxed girl. The wound is significantly smaller, and my mum still doesn't think it's bad enough to see a vet :/
I'm currently putting iodine on it about 2-4 times a day, as well as keeping it clean. I had another girl with something similar a while back, except she had it on her rump...I treated her in a similar fashion to Precious and she's still alive today...and fat.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
And ever since I drained it she's been allot more active. Is there any way that I could bandage it?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The abscess needs to be cleaned of all the pus in order for it to heal. Since you aren't taking her to the vet you need to flush it out a few times a day with a saline solution. It's imperative that all the infection inside is gone before it closes up, or else it will just fill back up again. Since it wasn't lanced open by a vet (and DO NOT attempt to do this on your own) there's a very good chance it will close up too soon.

Pigs with abscesses need antibiotics.

I bet the one on the rump wasn't an abscess, but a sebaceous cyst.

And if it's CL it's very contagious.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Okay, well I'll see if I can find a cage to keep her in for now.. (she's in with Muffin, and I only have 2 indoor cages) and the wound looks pretty gross, so I'll definately flush it twice a day. Whats the difference between a cyst and an abscess? I did work experience at a vet, and I didn't poke the lump until the pus was very obvious.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Ditto @bpatters

cervical lymphadenitis is highly contagious and can spread. One of my girls had what appeared to be a "ball" in her neck. I took her to get it drained and looked at. Despite the medication given to her it came back completely until I made the late decision to get it surgically removed. However, despite the best intention she passed away from it and from the pus in her system. My intention isn't to scare you as Yuna was quite young. You should definitely get her to see a vet asap.

Last edited:

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I really am trying to get her to a vet @failur3byh3art but my mum thinks it is a waste of time :(

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Okay guys, I think it might be either much better or much worse...
I drained a small amount of pus from the wound again, then flushed it out with saline as @foggycreekcavy suggested, and I think it is an abcess, not a cyst. It looks like it's deep, and while I was flushing it, she'd squeal if I used too much. The wound is now allot smaller, and it doesn't bleed. But it kind of looks like a hole...what would an estimated price be for a vet to prescribe antibiotics? I know its about $110 for just a consultation.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Also, is there any way to take her temperature without sticking it up her bum?

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
Praying for your precious baby.

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
Of course. Please keep us updated. I have "favorited" this post to continue getting notifications on it. If you don't mind me asking, does your mother just not believe in vets (like some people don't believe going to the doctor is beneficial) or is it a financial thing? If financial, I wouldn't mind helping with a little of the cost. No furbaby deserves to be in pain.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
She disagrees simply because I have 17 guinea pigs already...(oh wait, 19, two were just born...) and that they're only worth $20 each and I shouldn't waste money on 'stupid guinea pigs' :(
So I really am doing the best I can for her...

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
Just saw your other post about the 2 babies. Congratulations. And that's understandable, I see where she's coming from. My babies have become the center of my life and thankfully everyone in my family/close circle of friends understand that the piggies come before humans.. in certain cases. Lol. Then again I only have 4 piggies. How did you aquire many?

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
*acquire so many?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Whenever someone doesn't want them, I take them in...I usually get too attached :')
I got one from the zoo once...and I've had babies born before too so..

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
From the zoo? That's adorable :) I understand taking them in and getting too attached.. I was fostering one and decided on keeping her, then I had to hurry and find a friend for her, so that puts me where I'm at now, lol :) well good luck with your baby, and please keep us/me up to date :)

Status
Not open for further replies.