Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Squeak is ill, advice please.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Last week I noticed red spots in Bubble and Squeaks cage. That day I had fed them tomatoes, so I was unsure whether they came from the piggies or not. I decided to watch them closely and nothing seemed wrong.
Today it was cage cleaning day, so I was planning to put the piggies in their run on the grass whilst I cleaned. First, I picked Squeak up and noticed her rear end was very wet. I looked closer and found that hair had fell out, and there was almost a fungus and swollen patches on her skin. Immediately I checked Bubble; she is looking ok.
I now have Bubble and Squeak in a pet carrier, and have an appointment at a vets at 5:20pm. The exotics vet isn't open for the next few days and I didn't want to risk anything.
Although the main problem is I'm going on holiday tomorrow for 10 days. My nan and grandad are taking care of the guinea pigs, but they won't be able to give antibiotics/medicine or take Squeak back to the vet. Also, I don't think I will be allowed to stay at home instead of going on my holiday (we're going camping in Devon, a few hours away from us).
I'm so worried. Even though Squeak is eating, she is wheezing as well and has a little bit of discharge coming out of her eyes. This has suddenly started (both the fungus/wheezing) as when I was watching her yesterday everything was fine. Squeak didn't lose any weight during the few days.

Can someone please offer some advice? Any would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't the slightest idea what could be causing all those things, so I think the vet is going to be your best option. Though I'd start by giving her rump a good wash with some warm water. The warm water will help to draw out any infection (from the swollen parts.)

Things like wheezing and a dirty rump can be caused by a dirty cage, so make sure it's extra clean, and eye discharge can be caused by dehydration, or eye irritation, so make they have lots of water and check the eye. The wheezing is the only thing that immediately concerns me because it could be the start of URI, so again, lets see what the vet says.

Hope it all works out :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much @MizzyMiz . They have been bedded on sawdust (no cedar, no dust) and I have been spot cleaning everyday and replaced bedding when needed.
Right now they are in the carrier with hay and a fleece blanket. I've fed some lettuce and cucumber, which they have eaten, but Squeak is still wheezing/sneezing occasionally. Bubble is fine. Should I be separating them? I don't want to stress out Squeak anymore.

ETA: They are housed indoors in their C&C.

There's no point in separating them now -- they've both been thoroughly exposed to whatever's going on.

I would expect the vet to probably give you a fungus medication for the problem on Squeak's rear end. If it is a fungus, the cage needs to be kept clean and dry. You should clean it very thoroughly, throwing out anything made of wood, washing anything washable in hot water, detergent and bleach, and wiping the cage down thoroughly with a bleach solution.

Discharge from the eye is NOT usually due to dehydration -- that causes the eye to look sunken. It can be caused by infection, or a hay poke, or a URI, or just cleaning fluid that's dried around the eye. The wheezing would suggest a URI, but that's not certain. Since she's going to the vet, they can also give you something for that.

Since you're going to a regular vet, not an exotic one, be sure not to let the vet give them any dangerous antibiotics if they diagnose a URI. You can see https://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html for what medicines shouldn't be given. You might want to print it off and take it with you.

If either of them is given an antibiotic, you'll need to give them a probiotic an hour or so before each meal. Be prepared to handfeed them. I don't know what you'll do if your grandparents can't do that, but someone needs to be able to do it if necessary. If they're not eating normally, the information on handfeeding is at www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html.

Thank you so much @bpatters.
Whilst Squeak is taking medication, she will be in a different cage with Bubble (would a petstore one be ok?).
I tried to edit my previous post, what I meant to put was that Bubble and Squeak are inside in a hutch with a C&C attached on to it. Would they be able to go back in the hutch again after I've cleaned it thoroughly?
Also, (sorry for all of the questions) by "probiotic before each meal" do you mean veggie/pellet/hay meal or before antibiotics?
Again, thank you very much. :)

Before antibiotics. Good catch. I obviously haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Why would she be in a different cage while taking medication?

If the hutch is wooden and she has a fungus, you'll have a very hard time getting rid of the fungus spores.

Oh, thank you!
Bubble and Squeak will be in a different cage because the hutch is wooden, and I don't want Squeak and/or Bubble to get ill again. :)
I am about to go to the vet, so I will update everyone when I get back.

Squeak has a UTI and may have a fungal infection :-( The vet also weighed her, and she weighs 950 grams, so about 50 grams weight loss (her last weigh in she was 1kg). Squeak also managed to pee all over the scales - although the vet took a sample and tested it. It came back as a UTI as blood and protein was found.
I'm about to go (on my holiday) so I'm giving Squeak her antibiotics. She was prescribed 0.2ml of Baytril twice a day, and no probiotics, is this the right amount?
Also, the vet did check Bubble and nothing was found.
During the visit I mentioned the dangerous medications and the vet told me they prefer not to use penicillin based medicines on any of their animals.
My grandparents will be able to give Squeak her antibiotics and if there is any problems or they need help syringing the Baytril, the vets will do it for them. :) I'm a bit less worried now.
Hopefully Squeak will get better when I return! :)

I wouldn't use sawdust. They can inhale it, causing upper respiratory problems, they can get it in their eyes and the oils in the wood can cause liver or kidney damage. You can buy kiln dried pine or aspen. It's soft and flaky and the oils have been removed. It's safe for the guinea pigs.

The sawdust is aspen, it's just packaged with that name in the UK - sorry for the misunderstanding. :) It's definitely safe for the piggies (I check before I buy it).
I am missing the piggies a lot, so hopefully I hear off my grandparents soon!
Also, here is a picture of Squeak before we went to the vets:

Attachments

image.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.