Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Need to seperate hay

Morgan_

Cavy Slave
I have to boars who eat timothy hay, but I'm adopting a baby who will need alfalfa. They will all be in the same cage if introductions go well. How will I keep the adults from eating the alfalfa? I need a way or an idea to keep them from eating the wrong hay. Thank you in advance

Unless they are separated then you will have no real way to keep them from eating each others hay that I can think of.. However, alfalfa is really a supplement for the baby, so you could always give it the hay during floor time or lap time when you have him out individually.

Oh ok. I thought that just like adults, babies needed unlimited supply of alfalfa. So it's ok if the baby eats the timothy right?

As far as I know yes. They are just given alfalfa because it has more nutrients that the baby piggies need as they grow.

Babies don't need alfalfa. What they need is extra calcium as they're growing. You can get that by supplementing (not replacing) their long strand grass hay with alfalfa, OR by giving them alfalfa pellets, OR by giving them veggies high in calcium. If you've got a baby in with adults, the easiest way to give him calcium is to handfeed him a few sprigs of parsley.

So I had a similar problem when I adopted Pip a 6 week old guinea pig, and put her in with my 1 1/2 year old Seras. They both got the same pellets and hay, but I supplemented Pip's diet with dandelion greens, which are super high in calcium, but not other dangerous vitamins like kale and arugula, during lap time. If you can't find dandelion greens I know parsley is safe for feeding everyday and probably less expensive. Sadly Pip turned her nose up at it.

@bpatters - if you feed them just the parsley, would they still need alfalfa? Or is the parsley enough?

The parsley's enough.

if you have a kitchen area you can block off the kitchen until she is done eating her alfalfa

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.