Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Carefresh does it smell quickly?

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
Ergg sorry to make so many threads this week but I'm such in a rush!

Does Carefresh smell quickly? I've been using kilned pine and although it is kiln-dried, I am a sensitive person and it causes me headaches. I hate how it gives a "barn-effect" to the room, even if I have the windows open. And I clean my cage everyday.

How often do you change carefresh and does it smell fast? Thank you!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've never personally used it, but quite a lot of people say it can be quite dusty, and that it can be quite smelly. Have you considered fleece, or is it not an option?

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
I am going to move to fleece when I build my C&C. But when I have the C&C I am still going to have 1x4 part of it be regular bedding (hay/kitchen part of the cage)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ah, makes sense.

I used to use shavings, and I always put a thick layer of newspaper under the shavings in the corners of the cage, you know, to soak up urine? I found that helped with smell a lot, and it possibly could with carefresh too. I changed the newspaper out every day, and the shavings every other day.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
You should try using wood stove pellets. We use them at the rescue I volunteer at and I never notice much of a smell! They're also really cheap.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I use carefresh ultra over newspaper. I have to change it every 5 days. I think the white carefresh ultra has a weird odor when the urine absorbs into it, but the carefresh ultra colors and confetti don't. I'm sensitive to smells and have asthma and allergies and the carefresh doesn't bother me.

kimmaurizio

Cavy Slave
I use carefresh ultra over newspaper. I have to change it every 5 days. I think the white carefresh ultra has a weird odor when the urine absorbs into it, but the carefresh ultra colors and confetti don't. I'm sensitive to smells and have asthma and allergies and the carefresh doesn't bother me.

it depends alot on the actual brand in my experience the carefresh ultra seems to be the best although it can be pricey but if you try to save a buck and buy the walmart or petsmart brands your better off saving your money they are really dusty and cheep and generally not worth the money. i bought a small bag of the walmart 1 2 weeks ago because i was in a hurry and just needed it for the weekend i ended up throwing the whole bag out because when i opened it it smelled like mold. But just check around maybe just buy the smallest bag of what ever your getting they sell and try it out before you drop $25 dollars on the big bag to find its not what you want

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I like a bedding called Back 2 Nature (available on Amazon) for my litter boxes. It is not dusty, has no odor, and is made of recycled paper -- which I like -- so it's pretty good all around. I find it to be very effective. Wood stove pellets as someone else already mentioned are another option, but I find it to be a bit too hard for piggy paws when used in a large kitchen space. The Back 2 Nature in comparison is a "soft"er pellet.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I find the white care fresh to be smelly. I am really loving my current horse stall pellets in my kitchen area. I got them at my feed store and they have no pine odor. I also just read someone found aspen horse pellets that they say is awesome. I don't have them by me though. :eek:( Price wise pellets are a great bargain. There was just a discussion about different bedding types recently. Check thru previous posts. Also check out fosters and smith online, they had some interesting alternatives like wheat pellets.

SioCat

Cavy Slave
I use Kaytees Clean and Cozy bedding. I only use it for the kitchen, but I find that it works really well. My girls love it.

jayval

Cavy Slave
I love Carefresh!!!! I do not think its smelly at all.....I spot clean every other day, and change the entire cage monthly...I only have one pig though....The carefresh is so cozy, and the poop falls to the bottom a lot..I, not a fan of fleece, I dont liek to tsee the poop everywhere...LOL

maemae

Cavy Slave
You should try using wood stove pellets. We use them at the rescue I volunteer at and I never notice much of a smell! They're also really cheap.

Hi, where do you get your pellets? Is there a particular brand to look for? I like the idea of a cheap alternative to Carefresh for the kitchen.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Hi, where do you get your pellets? Is there a particular brand to look for? I like the idea of a cheap alternative to Carefresh for the kitchen.

I don't personally use them, but I believe the rescue I volunteer at gets them from Tractor Supply Co.
They also used to get them at Menards: https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/fuel/40-lb-premium-wood-pellets/p-2157391-c-6855.htm
I believe Walmart and Lowe's also sells them.
I don't think there's a certain brand that's best, though.
@bpatters uses wood pellets and if I remember correctly she also puts a piece of fleece over them to give her piggies something soft to walk on.
If I were to use them I would also use the piece of fleece, since they are hard pellets, and would recommend that others do that as well. :)

jayval

Cavy Slave
Try the carefresh....I am a neat freak, and my cage never smells, nor does the room...We keep Twix in my husbands office...I have one pig, so I only need to spot clean every day or every other day...I throw all of the bedding out every 4 weeks....His cage is spotless....For 2 pigs, you probably have to throw it all out and replace every 2 weeks....But if you spot clean every day, I think you will find Carefresh rewarding....

slendermella

Cavy Slave
I just switched to Yesterday's News pellets in the kitchen area instead of CareFresh and I already notice a SIGNIFICANT difference. Zero smell so far with the YN, and I most certainly would have been smelling it if I still had the CareFresh in there. I'm a convert!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.