Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Could my dog be bothering my guinea pigs?

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs have officially been home for 5 days now. Their cage is on a grid stand, and is raised one grid length high for storage underneath. The coroplast walls are only about 4.5", and they are at PERFECT height for my dog to sit and stare at them for most of that day.

Typically, she just sits with her nose touching or almost touching the grids, and whimpers/whines occasionally. She only does this if she hears them moving, or if I am trying to feed them/clean their cage/give them attention.

I thought she would get bored of them pretty quick, but it doesn't seem like that is happening. She has a VERY high prey drive, and she also is *very* needy. She does not like it when I give them attention or my cats attention and ignore her while I'm petting them. She LOVES to be petted, and HATES when you stop. She was back yard breeder stray who most likely was abused, so she has major psychological issues and is very dependent on myself and my boyfriend.

When I had the piggies out yesterday for their first floor time in the bathroom, my dog had herself parked right outside the bathroom door. She would occasionally whimper/whine or bark, and they would chatter back at her. They were pretty scared though, and spent the entire time on my lap. Poor Ginny wouldn't move even a cm for the first time 10 minutes, and just stayed snuggled into Harry the whole time. I finally got smart and draped a towel over my lap, and she adjusted herself a bit to a more comfortable position. It took another 5 min before she would start eating the veggies. The whole time though, they seemed to enjoy being petted and once they got comfortable, happily ate veggies on my lap for a half hour. :)

They are well socialized (at least, that's what the rescue said), but incredibly skittish in their cage. They won't eat out in the open really, instead, they dart out and snatch a piece of veggie, then dart back in a box or tunnel and hide.

Before, I was thinking they were still adjusting to being in a new place, and that they were still fairly scared of me. After lap time yesterday though, I've realized that they probably don't find me to be as scary as I thought. I started thinking that perhaps it's my dog that's making them skittish and stressing them out.

Now, finally, my question. Do I-
1. just wait it out? Should I give it another week or two for my dog to lose interest, and for them to adjust more to their new home?
2. get another piece of coroplast, and build higher (6") walls, so that my dog can't stare into the cage directly?
3. buy more grids, and make the stand into a double stand? That way, my dog wouldn't be able to look into their cage at all unless she was on the couch.
4. buy more grids and coroplast, and make a loft? That way, they'd have an area of the cage where they would be higher than my dog.

When they first came home, they only had the bunk bed/loft to hide under (with a make shift fleece forest covering it), and a box. I added another box and a couple bendable bridge log tunnels, and they started to come out more. I felt like their floor space was cluttered though (it's only a 2x4) so I took out a couple things. For the rest of the day, they hid. I added the stuff back in during the evening, and they went back to coming out a bit more like before. I don't like that their floor space is cluttered, as I feel like they don't have space to pop corn and do zoomies.

Either way, I'm planning on switching to fleece soon (just have to hit the fabric store, and wait for my mail order stuff to arrive), and will have a fleece forest covering most of the cage to give them more security, and more floor space. I'm also building a 1x4 mid level loft along the back, which will have a fleece forest in the front, so they will have a place to hide all along the back, and more floor space when I replace their boxes with piggy tunnels, cozy sacks, and cuddle cups.

I can't move the cage to my bedroom and have a pet gate to keep her out, as I am in a studio apartment right now.

Thoughts?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The pigs' behavior sounds normal for a new place -- give them some time to warm up.

They'll also adjust to the dog. My pigs were terrified of the dog at first, and stayed along the back wall of their cage whenever the dog was in the room. Now they go nose-to-nose through the cage wall, and pay no attention otherwise to whatever antics the dog is up to.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Oh good! My boyfriend was certainly not looking forward to a cage expansion, but I was starting to worry the constant stress of my dog would affect their health.

Thank you very much for putting my mind to ease!

Until then, should I just keep all their hideyholes in there? They all have at least 2 or 3 exits, and are easy to run through.
@ThePigAlchemist

Yep, I am 100% certain she can't get into the cage. That was the main reason I built it elevated with the storage underneath, so I would have the comfort of knowing my dog wouldn't be able to easily jump on top of it or open the lid. I have wire shelving for the lid, and she hasn't once tried nudging the lid with her nose in attempt to open it, or jumping against the cage. The lid is securely on though.

She has almost killed a squirrel before (she had it in her mouth, I managed to get her to drop the poor thing. Thankfully, it seemed to be unharmed.) and she constantly chased my cats before as well. Now she just chases them when they go near her food/nylabones/chewies. (For anyone concerned, that cats have a window seat and cat shelves where they can hang out and not be near her).

Last edited:

Deniselynn

Cavy Slave
I have a pit bull. They normally have a high prey drive. When I brought my guinea pigs home, Logan was extremely interested in them. Well, he still is but he doesn't want to hurt them. He sniffs them and one of the guinea pigs actually put her nose up to his. It's been a month since I have had mine and they are used to Logan. Logan also barks quite a bit and they are used to that too.

Just for the record, if a dog captures a squirrel, rabbit, etc, it's because it's in their genetic makeup. It's just like when a cat kills mice or rats. If my dog killed a squirrel I wouldn't feel bad. It's part of nature.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
My piggies completely ignore my two dogs, one of whom is extremely loud and barks all the time. When the dogs put their noses up it the cage, my piggies sniff them and then ignore them. They'll get used to the dog.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
One of my boars, Puffy, actually tries to pick fights with our Miniature Schnauzer ( The cage is on the floor, and he is about the same height as the cage). Puffy will run back and forth, matching the dog step for step!lol

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
I have 2 high prey drive dogs, and keep everyone nice and separated. Moxie has never gotten anything that I know of, but Cosmo has gotten squirrels and birds. He's gotten used to the boys being in the house, but if he can actually see them (Moxie too), they both start whining and wanting to get in with them to "play"...and not in a friendly way. Not willing to take a chance.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
My dog never has access to the room my pigs are in as he could easily destroy the cages and make toys of the guinea pigs (He's a Jack Russell Terrier) but my cats climb all over the cages and it never bothers the pigs. The guinea pigs come up nose to nose with any of the cats and will happily go about their hay munching and veggie eating while the cats are on top or beside the cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.