Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anyone else keep bugs?

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I recently learned how awesome bugs are. Here are my tarantulas.
This is my grammostola rosea (chilean rose hair)

My aphonopelma chalcodes (arizona blond)

My adorable little avicularia minatrix (antilles pink toe). Its only 3/4 inch.

And millipedes
My orthoporus sp. (texas gold)

Orthoporus ornatus (sonoran desert). It wouldn't let go of the cat food.

From left to right, narcues gordanus (grey ghost), chicobolus spinigerus (florida ivory) and tybolus sp.

My little anadenobolus milicornis (bumblebee) and trigoniulus corallinus (scarlet).

And roaches
They are theria sp. They don't have their adult color yet. I have 7 therea petiveriana (white spot domino)

And I also have therea regularis (orange spot domino) which are tiny nymphs and really hard to find in the substrate so I haven't taken pictures yet.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
i think im gonna puke

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
I recently learned how awesome bugs are. Here are my tarantulas.
This is my grammostola rosea (chilean rose hair)

My aphonopelma chalcodes (arizona blond)

My adorable little avicularia minatrix (antilles pink toe). Its only 3/4 inch.

And millipedes
My orthoporus sp. (texas gold)

Orthoporus ornatus (sonoran desert). It wouldn't let go of the cat food.

From left to right, narcues gordanus (grey ghost), chicobolus spinigerus (florida ivory) and tybolus sp.

My little anadenobolus milicornis (bumblebee) and trigoniulus corallinus (scarlet).

And roaches
They are theria sp. They don't have their adult color yet. I have 7 therea petiveriana (white spot domino)

And I also have therea regularis (orange spot domino) which are tiny nymphs and really hard to find in the substrate so I haven't taken pictures yet.

Not that I could ever keep bugs, because I am extremely freaked out about spiders- well spiders, snakes, and sharks, I am glad that those "cute".... creeepy to me, creatures are living with you because you clearly love them. My evidence of your love for them is you holding them in your hands... ahhhh. I need to get out of this thread because I am freaking out right now, and have goosebumps... so yah. I am to freaked out by the pictures to do a thorough read, so if I missed this than I am sorry, but what are their names?

mmas4

Cavy Slave
LOL. That's the reaction I usually get. I used to be really afraid of bugs myself but somehow got over it and I'm glad I did. I love these guys.
The G.rosea is named Cronus. The A.chalcodes is named Thea. The A.minatrix is named Icarus. I haven't names the millipedes yet. I just got the medium sized one last week and the large and small ones today. Not going to name the roaches. They all look the same and they will breed so there will be too many to name.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I have a love of Madagascar hissing roaches and those giant millipedes. I actually used to breed crickets and mealworms for my and my roommates bearded dragons. I'm thinking of starting up a hissing roach colony at some point but right now I'm working towards a ball python.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
It is actually not the millipedes or roaches that freak me out. I used to go out and catch tons of those at night when I was really young. It is the spiders, I can't enjoy a picture of your millipedes with a spider staring at me... lol I am really surprised that you don't have any stink bugs. I think that is what they are... anyways I usually see people with stink bugs when they have bugs. Are there any other kinds of bugs that you would like to someday have... also what do you feed the millipedes?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think your bugs look very cool, and healthy.
I don't mind holding the spider and the millipedes. I'm creeped out by the roach though.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Now that I have seen it a bunch of times, I actually kind of find the millipede cute... lol When they are in their cages or tanks, or whatever it is you keep them in, can you see them? If you can you should post a picture of their habitat.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I have plans to get many more bugs. Next I want to get some rolly pollies to live with the millipedes and roaches. They are janitors (eat mold, fungus, molts etc) and I think they are cute. I also want to get several species of praying mantids, blue death feigning beetles, madagascar hissing roaches, more tarantulas, tailless whip scorpions, scorpions, ornate harvestman and harlequin beetles and possibly more.
The millipedes mainly eat their substrate which is made up of rotting leaves with some dirt, coco fiber and twigs. I also supplement that with vegetables, fruits and cat food.
The 2 largest millipedes like to come out of the substrate and walk around. The florida ivory also comes up at night. The others have not. I have to dig to find them.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
I have plans to get many more bugs. Next I want to get some rolly pollies to live with the millipedes and roaches. They are janitors (eat mold, fungus, molts etc) and I think they are cute. I also want to get several species of praying mantids, blue death feigning beetles, madagascar hissing roaches, more tarantulas, tailless whip scorpions, scorpions, ornate harvestman and harlequin beetles and possibly more.
The millipedes mainly eat their substrate which is made up of rotting leaves with some dirt, coco fiber and twigs. I also supplement that with vegetables, fruits and cat food.

I was just reading that they eat sliced vegetables but I wasn't sure if that was true, but I guess it is. The rollie pollies won't be eaten by the roaches and millipedes?

mmas4

Cavy Slave
Nope. Roaches and millipedes wont eat other bugs.

I think your bugs look very cool, and healthy.
I don't mind holding the spider and the millipedes. I'm creeped out by the roach though.
The roaches get cuter. Once full grown they are black with white or orange spots.

Here are their enclosures
Tarantulas on top. Millipedes and orange spots below

The millipedes tank is not done yet. I need to get clips to secure the lid so I can add branches for them to climb and I also want to get some fake plants and actual food and water dishes instead of whatever I could find in the kitchen.
Here is the tank for the white spots

Nothing in the container to the left. That will be the next enclosure for the A.minatrix before it moves into the 2.5 gallon that its tiny container is currently sitting in.

Last edited:

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Wow, I actually never thought of having bugs as a pet. Its probably more common than I think it is.

How long does a tarantula live? I have thought about 2-4 years but know that I think about they probably live a lot longer than that.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
It depends on species but females live around 10-25 years and males about 3-10.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I personally am not a bug person, but those look really cool! I love seeing peoples' set ups no matter what creature they own as a pet.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I'm not a spider person, but tarantulas never scared me. They seem kind of like weird looking little mammals. I think it's the fuzz, and the fact I've never found one attached to a spider web in my hair. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
We have beetles, blue and Black Death feigners, e. Goryi, and other tenebrionid beetles. The kids just love them. Very much fun.

We also occasionally start colonies of Rollie pollies. Just was ever the kids find under the rocks.

My husband has a few trantulas. I know he has a curly hair and pink toe plus one other one but I can't remember that it is.

Anyone else keep bugs?

Anyone else keep bugs?

Anyone else keep bugs?

Anyone else keep bugs?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I love the blue beetles! I really want to get some. Those are high up on my list. Very pretty. A curly hair tarantula is also on my want list. I like the docile species.

I'm not a huge spider fan either. Some of them are still a bit scary but for whatever reason I love tarantulas. The docile ones with less potent venom anyway. I wont be getting any old world tarantulas.

I got the millipedes cage set up. Looks much nicer and the millipedes have things to climb on. You can see the big millipedes exploring. They don't seem to burrow much and I hope it stays that way. Much easier to find them.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Wow, I've never considered keeping bugs as pets. I inadvertently have a lot of spiders in my house since I live off a field/pond/woods. But spiders kind of creep me out.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Depending in the hug they can be very interesting. Our beetles run laps around their cages, it's fun for the kids to watch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.