Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Alfalfa pellets for adults?

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
I know alfalfa is not ideal and I have always fed Timothy pellets but I recently made a HUGE mistake and accidentally clicked on 50lbs of alfalfa pellets rather than Timothy. The bag was around $70 including shipping. They don't refund shipping prices so it's not worth it to refund.

I talked with the owner and she was saying there wasn't much more calcium in the alfalfa pellets and she's known people who fed their piggies only alfalfa pellets and they lived or are living a long, healthy life.

However since it does have more calcium, I was obviously thinking feeding less than the 1/4 cup each. If I did this... Would it be alright to use it?

If you're all like NO WAY then I guess I could just give it to my neighbors and eat the $70, they have horses... Alfalfa pellets are good for horses right?

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Hmmm... too much calcium can cause stones... And alfalfa does have more calcium than timothy... I don't know.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
If it were me and my pigs had no history of stones or sludge then I'd do the following:
-buy timothy pellets
-feed a 50/50 combo of timothy and alfalfa pellets
-take them 100% off any veges with high or moderate calcium

Not sure if the piggies would like the mixed up pellets, but I suspect it would work with mine. Anyway, that's what I'd do to get some use out of the pellets if you were determined to use them because of the cost. Otherwise, I'd donate them to a rescue.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
From what I'm reading, please correct me if I'm wrong, you feed your pigs 1/4 cup a day of pellets. (Again correct me if I misunderstood). And you should be feeding them 1/8 cup a day.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@poop_patrol Yes that's what I was thinking, I'll give half of it to my neighbors and try and use the other half with the 50/50 combo... Maybe even give away more than half... It's a lot of pellets. Haha I don't know what I was thinking buying 50lbs of pellets to begin with!
@Nannub I noticed that after I posted, it was too late to edit it though. Lol I do give them 1/8, no worries!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.