Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Sick or allergies?

Animals4tab

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

my guinea pig Addie was diagnosed with a URI earlier this year, however I was very unimpressed with my vet. Addie had all the symptoms of a URI and the vet said over and over, ?Yup. It?s a URI.? But when they came back in the room with my estimate, first sign I should have been scared as a vet has never done this before, they tell me they will have to charge me $1000 to treat my guinea pig!!! On top of that, i brought in Addie?s cage mate, Paisley, to get looked at at the same time in case it was contagious even though she showed no symptoms and they were gonna charge me $1000 for her too!! After an hour of them coming in and out, trying to heckle me into paying for a bunch of stuff that was extremely over priced, i ended up leaving with barely enough antibiotics for the two to share. Note, the only test they wanted to run was xrays which I had to turn down because they were $300 each. Neither showed any improvement and days later my Paisley died:( it has been months since this horrible visit and my Addie is still sick although I?ve noticed she only coughs/sneezes when she eats hay or i put fresh hay in her cage. Her eyes and nose are perfectly clear but she sounds stuffed up. Some days she sounds totally normal. She also has a strong appetite and poops normally and will run laps and popcorn like any normal guinea pig. There are only two vets that deal with exotics near me and I am terrified to get another bill I can?t afford. First, is it possible Addie is allergic to something? Second, does anyone else have an idea of what a normal check up and antibiotics bill should be? I?ve owned exotics all my life, but these are my first guinea pigs and i have NEVER been charged $1000 for the minor visit I had. I feel ripped off too considering they clearly missed something with Paisley for a $1000 visit. They did check their teeth and lungs and heart and everything was clear.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave

Animals4tab

Cavy Gazer
First, I'm sorry about the loss of Paisley. That was a complete incompetent vet, who cared about nothing but money. A visit, even if it's an ill one, should not cost that much. Have you checked out the search on where to find a vet near you? From what your location says, you're in Austin. This link might help. I would get Addie rechecked, as stuffed up is never a good sign.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=277&sid=2fe3a346f576addac3cd5a23b4e9e4f2

There?s a vet called Research Pet and Bird clinic, this is who I went to, and there?s another one 10 minutes from me. I haven?t heard of the vet in the link you shared. I wonder what their prices are. I don?t mean to sound like a penny pincher. I grew up working at rescues and shelters where they made vet costs affordable for everyone so when I go to a vet that claims to treat a small animal it?ll be $1000 I am extremely skeptical. Thank you for the response!

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
@Animals4tab why don't you call the clinics beforehand? When I call a new vet, I always ask what their consultation fee is, and also their xray fee. This will help you choose the cheapest option.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's also a guinea pig rescue in Round Rock. You might call them and ask if they can recommend a good vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.