Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Guineapig!

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
if one baby wasn't getting enought milk, I would probably allow it one on one time with mum.
If anything was to go wrong, I'd tell you people about it!
I can't believe how much you have helped me!

I have read the hand feeding site twice, thanks for the link!

I'll post some pics later.
I am excited to get the news.... Don't forget to let us know when they come :)

Animalz

Cavy Slave
Her pelvic bones are still 1 finger apart!
Well, at least they are wider then last time, last time they were a skinny finger, this time they were a fat finger.

I need to put in some fresh bedding but I don't want to stress her out!
Any suggestions?

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Still one?... Just move her while supporting her back really well! How is she doing otherwise? Eating? How active is she? Can you post pictures?

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
I'm so excited for you! Waiting for babies is so hard. I agreed with the post about putting towels down. I use fleece and have boars, but I'd imagine loose bedding would stick to wet newborns.

Animalz

Cavy Slave
I'm acctually not at home at the moment, and I won't get back until Saturday night.
But over the last couple of days, she has been drinking heaps, eating and drinking for 2, other wise, besides from sitting or lying down all of the time, everything is normal.

My mum (who I trained to perfection) knows what to look out for. I gave her a big long list off all the things that she has to do.
She will call me and keep me 110% updated on my little Caramel, as well as Pepper and Peanut who has been loving all of the grass they have been getting lately.

All piggies love the grass! I remember to water grass so it will grow really well!
I still can't believe how big she has become!

I know that she has done really well considering this is her first pregnancy, and she has gotton so far without anything going wrong, but is there anything else I should look for?
Is she still at risk of anything?

lizzy_n_electra

Cavy Slave
I just read through this whole post and now am pretty excited - did she have her babies yet??

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Animalz said:
I'm acctually not at home at the moment, and I won't get back until Saturday night.
But over the last couple of days, she has been drinking heaps, eating and drinking for 2, other wise, besides from sitting or lying down all of the time, everything is normal.

My mum (who I trained to perfection) knows what to look out for. I gave her a big long list off all the things that she has to do.
She will call me and keep me 110% updated on my little Caramel, as well as Pepper and Peanut who has been loving all of the grass they have been getting lately.

All piggies love the grass! I remember to water grass so it will grow really well!
I still can't believe how big she has become!

I know that she has done really well considering this is her first pregnancy, and she has gotton so far without anything going wrong, but is there anything else I should look for?
Is she still at risk of anything?

Are you back? How is she?

Animalz

Cavy Slave
I got back last night, she was massive!
So, I went to bed at about 11, in the morning, my sister wakes me up 'CARAMEL HAS HAD BABIES!', so, I rushed in there, and she had delivered 2 healthy babies, they are so tiny. I didn't think they would be that small!

One of the babies is a very light brown colour, and the other is a honey (or caramel) colour with a little strip of white down it's head and on one of it's back legs.

I'll post pics later, once I figure out how to attach them.

There is a bit of blood, not much though, mum is fine. I went to go talk to her and she just purred, I think she was saying 'finally, I was wondering when these babies were going to come out!'

She has perfect timing doesn't she? Just waits until I get back.

How long do I wait to hold them, about 2 days?
Thanks to everyone who helped and brought me through this experience! It was wonderful.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!! I'm SP glad she had them and is doing well. Start introducing a little bit of green to them. I start with parsely... Baby guinea pigs can be held as soon as they are born. Mom will not reject them as other rodents. Guinea pigs are THAT social and amazin :)
I can't wait to see pictures! Do you have a scale? If so... Weight them and let us know how many grams do they weight.
Congrats again!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Yay! Babies! Congratulations to you and mama pig!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I just finished reading this entire thread and I am soo happy for you! I wish the best of luck :)

p.s. could you pleeeaaaaassssseeee post pics?

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
How exciting! I'm looking forward to the pictures, too. Your mom guessed right, huh?

LilPig

Cavy Slave
My baby girl waited until I came home to have her babies too.... Strange! I thought my girl was only having 3 or 4 and then BAM we got 5 (all girls too!). She had a whole batch of happy healthy babies. We only had to hand feed a couple that were really runtie (the two I kept for myself). I would suggest a couple of things....

*weighing the babies every day (with an electronic food scale) once they come, that way you can keep a close eye on them and know right away if someone starts losing weight.

*Offer the babies plenty of different foods (fruits and veggies) to get them accustomed to variety early on.

* Definitely baby proof the cage as soon as possible. You don't want one wandering off and getting out of the cage. Yes - they will be running all around and eating regular food too (amazing).

* Most of all, enjoy the time you have with the babies because they grow all too fast. A group of screaming baby guinea pigs is probably the cutest thing I've seen in my life.

* One more thing, Don't forget to separate the males from females once they've reached 21-24 days old. If you need help sexing them just post pictures of their business on the forum and most of us are more than happy to help.

Good Luck!
Have Fun!
Post pigtures of the babies!!!!!!!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
* Definitely baby proof the cage as soon as possible. You don't want one wandering off and getting out of the cage. Yes - they will be running all around and eating regular food too (amazing).

This reminded me of when my brother's sow had babies when we were kids. The sow had three healthy babies and they always stayed in their cage so we didn't think anything of it when we left on vacation.

Well, the pet sitter came by one day and the babies were gone! Mama was still in her cage and all the other adult guinea pigs were in their cages but the babies were no where to be found. The poor pet sitter was looking everywhere for them but she couldn't find them. She had to leave bowls of food and water sitting out hoping the babies would come back.

It took two days to find all three of the babies. One was found in the upstair's master bathroom, just down the hall from my brother's room. One was found in the living room, down a whole flight of stairs and all the way across the house. The last one was found down two flights of stairs, behind a closed door, under the couch, in the finished basement. All three were healthy and unharmed when they were found.

Those little babies will move! =D

Animalz

Cavy Slave
I had my auntie come over and see them, she couldn't believe how formed they were, she was comparing them to rats and mice!
She said that they looked 5 weeks old at least!
Pregnant Guineapig! This is Caramel 2 or 3 weeks ago. The green stack that she is walking to is hay and a guinea pig mix, in the bottom right corner, is a bit of orange.

I need to take photos and upload them here.
I'll take some pics. I hope this will do for now.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
How are the little babies doing? And mom? Please post pictures :)

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
I just read this whole thread... get that camera flashing! I'm never gonna get to see baby piggies! Let me love yours via pixels!❤️

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So very glad all went well. The whole forum was waiting with you. Just like everyone else.
CAN'T WAIT UNTIL PICTURES!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I am hoping that she has a bigger cage than the one in the photo above? Have you checked out Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home ?

I, too, am waiting for pics of the babies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.