Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How many grids for a 2x5 c&c with stand and lid?

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
So i'm planning to change out my two midwest cages for a c&c even though my husband says that my 3 boars are fine in those two cages but im just tired of them not fitting right on my tables and feel they could use alittle more space. So I was wondering how many grids would i need to build a cage big enough for them plus a stand to put it on and a lid to keep myy kitten from trying to get to them? I was thinking i would need atleast 60 grids but now im not sure. I would like to keep my cage long ways as it would fit better where the midwest cages are now then making it a big square or something similiar as thats what i was thinking of doing with the two midwest ones and reconstructing them but dont have space to do that. Husband thinks i should save my money for something else. I found a store that has a 6 cube wire storage kit on sale for $12.99 each and hoping they will still be on sale this week. So how many would i need to build a decent size cage for 3 boars, a stand and a lid?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Best thing to do would be to sit down and draw it out and count for yourself how many grids you need. Stands and lids can be done differently and it's entirely up to you the way you do it. That's kind of the point.

I would think you will need more than 60 grids to include a sturdy stand, definitely.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
@adonnelly517......

I have two boars in a 2x5 with a 2x2 loft and it's still not enough room. :sad: I'm scheming as to how I can possibly expand in the small space that I have available.
I can't imagine having three boars in anything smaller than a 2x6 or preferably 2x7 if you don't want to go three wide.

I just got down on my hands and knees and counted grids, and I estimate you will need about 80 +/-........and that is without a loft but with a lid. Using closet shelving for the lid would be far better and more sturdy than a grid lid. I created my cage and stand separately----the cage has a bottom, and the stand has both a "roof" and the cubby holes have bottoms as well. In addition, I added casters so that I can move the cage for cleaning. Once both were built, I then used zip-ties to join the cage and stand. My cage is so sturdy that I can sit or lie in it!lol

Thank you so much!!!! Yeah I have two of the Midwest habitat cages together in one long line and the two babies I have one seems to pick on the other a lot figured it was because the cage was too small for all three. Was told that board prefer cages that are wider then one in length. I'll have to measure to see if I can possibly do a 3x5 and make sure there is still walking space in the living room where they are. I might be able to do a 2x7 but still have to measure to be sure. I was told I can reconstruct the two Midwest cages into a giant square which should be closer to the sq footage I need but not sure on the space issue. But thanks for the info.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I've had 3 boars get along fine in a 2x4, and a different trio do fine in a 2x5. I've also got 3 right now who really struggle to be civil to each other in a 2x8. So it depends entirely on the dudes in question what size they can live comfortably in.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Thanks @Paula I was thinking of doing a 3x4 as I've been told boars do better with wider cages then long and narrow but I've been looking at the area I'll be using and do t think I can do 3 but maybe only a 2.5x4 or even 5. But it all depends on if I can the grids again for really cheap as a store by me just had the ones that can make 6 cubbies for 12.99 but that sale ended on yesterday and my fiancé is still against me spending money to build a new one so I'm stuck deciding whether I still spend money to build a new one or just reconstruct my 2 Midwest cages and use a coroplast base instead of the canvas ones that they came with. The only downside is that if I use my two cages they are too wide for my space I have them in and don't have the right table to put it on so would still be spending money when I know I can get everything I need grids and coroplast for about $100 right now I was just hoping to try to find it all cheaper then that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.