Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello :-)

plentygeek

Cavy Slave
Hello! My name is Emily, I'm from Houston, TX and I just got a guinea pig on Valentine's Day. She hasn't been named yet, I haven't seen anything that I really like as a name for her. I'm making a C&C Cage for her today, but she is currently in a rabbit cage I adjusted for her use. She is still pretty small for a pig, so I'm guessing that she is a baby. I'd say that when she's stretched out she's about 6-7 inches long or so. I'm feeding her Oxbow Alfalfa Hay and Oxbow Pellets and plenty of vitamin C rich vegetables. Right now she gets green leaf lettuce, a carrot, a cherry tomato and some bell pepper daily. I'll have to take a picture of her C&C Cage once it's done and post it.

This is the cage she currently is in. I took the grid off the bottom and she is on aspen bedding, has a hay rack, water bottle, food bowl, veggie food bowl, and a litter box that also has hay put into it. I also don't use the ramp or tiny second level. (broken link removed)h and here is a picture of her. :)
Hello :-)

mythoughtsandi

Cavy Slave
Hi! She is absolutely adorable! For some reason Crayon comes to mind when I see her, but I tend to be fairly odd that way :) As far as I know I don't think the cage you have her in is a bad temporary living space, but the C&C cage is the way to go, it gives your piggy so much running room! Welcome to the forum! There is so much here to keep your piggy happy and healthy!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very cute, PlentyGeek! And welcome to a fellow Houstonian.

Just one word of caution. If she's on Oxbow Cavy Performance Pellets, she doesn't need alfalfa hay -- that's too much of a good thing. Pigs really need a long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, blue, brome), and alfalfa is a legume, not a hay. Feeding them alfalfa hay is usually done when you don't have alfalfa pellets for them.

plentygeek

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the welcome mythoughtsandi and bpatters. lol

@bpatters I couldn't find the Oxbow Pellets at the store for young pigs, she's on the Adult Cavy food.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In that case, the alfalfa hay is fine. I'd mix it with some grass hay, though, so she doesn't get a calcium overload.

plentygeek

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice. :) I'll stop by the store on the way home to get some.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello! My name is Emily, I'm from Houston, TX and I just got a guinea pig on Valentine's Day. She hasn't been named yet, I haven't seen anything that I really like as a name for her. I'm making a C&C Cage for her today, but she is currently in a rabbit cage I adjusted for her use. She is still pretty small for a pig, so I'm guessing that she is a baby. I'd say that when she's stretched out she's about 6-7 inches long or so. I'm feeding her Oxbow Alfalfa Hay and Oxbow Pellets and plenty of vitamin C rich vegetables. Right now she gets green leaf lettuce, a carrot, a cherry tomato and some bell pepper daily. I'll have to take a picture of her C&C Cage once it's done and post it.

This is the cage she currently is in. I took the grid off the bottom and she is on aspen bedding, has a hay rack, water bottle, food bowl, veggie food bowl, and a litter box that also has hay put into it. I also don't use the ramp or tiny second level. (broken link removed)(broken link removed)

Oh and here is a picture of her. :)
View attachment 21422
beautiful girl

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thinking of names something really girly she looks like a dainty little thing

Honour

Cavy Slave
She's so cute! My piggy Delilah looks a lot like that.. she would suit something pretty like Daisie, just a suggestion:)
&I would suggest as bpatters said to mix her hay with timothy hay, it's probably the best hay I know of.. especially for as she gets older. But anyway, welcome to the forum!

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
aaaawww cuteness overload!! Lily came to me when I first saw her. So precious.

CavyCraziness

Cavy Slave
So cute! I like the names Pixie, Pepper, and maybe Cocoa or snickers? Gumdrops too! <3 I like Pixie the most though!

Clovers

Cavy Slave
I can't think of a good name but she is really cute!!!!

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
i think Abby suits her

Alaskangurl

Cavy Slave
What a pretty girl she is. Congrats and welcome to the forum.
How about Lacey?

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
What about Willow? Such a darling little lady!

plentygeek

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the welcome guys! :) I still haven't decided on a name for her yet, but I did go home and build a C&C cage for her. (Did you guys know what a workout that is? Lol, for me anyways.) Well I had to rebuild it twice before I had it done to my liking. Then the little mischievious piggie decided she knew how to get out of it by squeezing through the squares on the cubes. (Turned out because it was the Target brand) Luckily I had some from Walmart from a few years ago and fixed that problem. (Making the third rebuild) It's so funny to see the instant personality change from the store cage to the C&C cage. She was walking around checking things out and running around enjoying her new cage. She immediately decided to try and pull the fleece up too. I'm in the process of getting my sewing machine back to my house before I can sew the fleece to the Uhaul pad. I forgot to take pictures last night, but I'll be taking some when I get back home today. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.