Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Vetbed Users???

rcbuzz3

Cavy Slave
I've been looking into switching from bedding to fleece, and I heard good things about vetbed as a cage liner. I had a few questions about how exactly how I should use it. Does urine soak right through? What is the best absorbent layer to use underneath, would wood pellets work? How do I wash it, and is it good at wicking wetness away? Thanks all.

I'm curious to know the answers to these questions as well, I've wanted to know more about vetbed since Skinnypigs1 recommended it for arthritic piggies. She uses it in conjunction with fleece, but other than that, I can't help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the vet bed that doesn't have any backing (my understanding is that there are different types, and this can affect wicking properties... am not 100% sure on this though, since I have only ever used the plain, no backing type). It wicks really well, no need for any prep work/pre-washing like with fleece, wood pellets would work underneath, also towels, puppy pads, whatever you would normally use with fleece. It's very plush, and easy to wash and air dry. Just shake it off, stick it in the washing machine, and then hang it out to dry (or use a dryer instead I guess).

I use the vet bed that doesn't have any backing (my understanding is that there are different types, and this can affect wicking properties... am not 100% sure on this though, since I have only ever used the plain, no backing type). It wicks really well, no need for any prep work/pre-washing like with fleece, wood pellets would work underneath, also towels, puppy pads, whatever you would normally use with fleece. It's very plush, and easy to wash and air dry. Just shake it off, stick it in the washing machine, and then hang it out to dry (or use a dryer instead I guess).

I am sure old piggies would love the plush feeling.

Awesome, thanks! I'm totally going to pick some up. How many liners would you recommend I buy?

@ lunarminx I thought the same thing too. I found, however, that when my Pooper pig got older and showed evidence of arthritis he seemed to have some trouble walking on softer things like blankets and whatnot. He used to love walking on my feather duvet and would dive under it and just snuggle right in, but the last 4 or 5 months before he passed it was very difficult for him to walk on it to the point that I stopped putting him on it. This is just my observation, not meant to be a condemnation of using a vetbed.

Is vetbed expensive? Where can you get one? Also, is there any other good reasons to use vetbed, or is it just like fleece, only softer?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.