Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Male Rabbit maturing to fast!?

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
Hi guys so I recently got two rabbits a male and female at the moment they are too young to neauter and spay! Anyways when I got them I was told they were 6 weeks and from the size the size I was sure that was true anways now there are about 7 and half weeks give or take! Well I looked over to see my male humping my female!!! Ekk I split them up right away not huge deal except I was hoping to get two more days out of them as I dont have an extra cage or area to keep them in at the moment! sooo ummm is my female going to be pregnant? Can they still be put together for 2 more days? Why on earth is he humping her at such a young age?
@Gandalf @Inle_rabbbit

Last edited:
She can't get pregnant at such a young age, but she could get stressed from his pestering her. You don't want them getting irritated with each other if you ultimately intend to bond them.

Some males do mature earlier than others, but he's still pretty young (assuming age estimate is correct).
I would just go ahead and separate them, though you could put their cages near (not touching) each other. Separating them now is not going to be detrimental to their future bonding. They'll have to be separated for a few months anyway.

If you are waiting on a cage you ordered (?) you can use something temporary in the meantime. Maybe an x-pen? I like the idea of using an x-pen for a temp cage because it still has use when you no longer need 2 cages.

I agree if the ages are correct she will be fine. What he is probably doing is practicing.

She can't get pregnant at such a young age, but she could get stressed from his pestering her. You don't want them getting irritated with each other if you ultimately intend to bond them.

Some males do mature earlier than others, but he's still pretty young (assuming age estimate is correct).
I would just go ahead and separate them, though you could put their cages near (not touching) each other. Separating them now is not going to be detrimental to their future bonding. They'll have to be separated for a few months anyway.

If you are waiting on a cage you ordered (?) you can use something temporary in the meantime. Maybe an x-pen? I like the idea of using an x-pen for a temp cage because it still has use when you no longer need 2 cages.

phew thanks goodness I don't want her pregnant (I dont belive in breeding animals)! Yeah she didnt look to impressed so I did split them up! Their new three story hutch is arriving on friday (only for night time) they are free range any other time! I will go ahead and set up the spare bedroom for my female :) Thanks so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.