Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General White crust in ear ! Advice !

Iamfry

Cavy Gazer
I’ve had my guinea pig fry since July last year. Today I was feeling his ears while playing with him and felt a scab like feeling. When I checked it was white crust on the inside of his ear more towards the outer inside of his ear. I don’t know if you can tell but it also appears to have like a tiny little hole where the scab is. What can this be ? Do I need to take him to the vet as soon as possible ??!

Attachments

AC80F9D1-AE33-466B-89DC-59EC547A5B5A.jpg
I'd try applying an antifungal cream to it twice a day for a while. Lotrimin is good, and is available from any pharmacy. But wash your hands carefully after handling him -- fungus is contagious. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for information on how to deal with it.

Is the area around the hole swollen at all? Or hot, or does it have pus? If not, I'd just watch, and see a vet if there are any changes.

Is he housed with another pig?

I'd try applying an antifungal cream to it twice a day for a while. Lotrimin is good, and is available from any pharmacy. But wash your hands carefully after handling him -- fungus is contagious. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for information on how to deal with it.

Is the area around the hole swollen at all? Or hot, or does it have pus? If not, I'd just watch, and see a vet if there are any changes.

Is he housed with another pig?

No it’s not hot nor has puss. It’s not swollen at all either. It’s kind of like a scab. He’s our only guinea pig and he’s our first too. So we don’t know what exactly what’s happening to his ear :(

I'm not sure about the hole, but if there's no infection, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The anti-fungal medicine should take care of the white stuff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.