Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables This might be a stupid question but...

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
I just put mine on the fleece most of the time, but I like the idea of using an extra piece of fleece so I know it's clean.

Sometimes I'll hide treats or even just slices of pepper and parsley around the cage or around their floor time area to get them moving more. And by hide I mean lay a piece here and there, maybe string the parsley through the grids a bit, not like under the fleece or anything.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@CavyMama

I forgot to mention, do not use it if you have baby guinea pigs because I had to remove a silly baby from one, he had jumped into it and was using it for a bed lol. They work really well and whenever my guinea pigs here the bell they go crazy :crazy:

So I would say, yes, their heads probably can fit through- when they're babies! When you have adult piggies, though, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use a veggie ball. I'd like to get one myself. :) Although I don't have piggies yet, so have no personal experience, I've seen PiggiePigPIgs (YouTube) use one before and they could not fit their heads through it. They loved pulling bits out of it though!

I don't get the bell. Why does every one say they love it? Don't sudden/loud noises frighten them? :?:

cross

Cavy Slave
i put their veggies in a sturdy glass bowl they they can not knock over and i would get about 3 so they do not fight over the food

cross

Cavy Slave
i have the bells that are supposed to be used in bird cages with a mirror on it and when they run around they ring the bell also in the morning when they want their food they ring the bell

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@cross They fight over veggies regardless. That's brilliant! How'd you train them to ring for service? LOL. Cavies with staff, butler, maid and all! :D

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I use heavy ceramic crocks for the veggies. My pigs never tip them. They either put their front paws on the edge and eat that way or just stand four on the floor and put their head into the bowl.

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
Here are the pictures.
Example of what can fit in it at one time:
Everything in the ball:
La La enjoying the veggies:
La La and Minnie eating:
La La and Daisy:

I really like them and I do seriously highly recommend them because they are one of my favorite things :)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I have no idea how you crammed so much into one of those balls. Pretty cool. I have one, but I just put treats for the bunnies in it. I had no idea they held so much.

I don't get the bell. Why does every one say they love it? Don't sudden/loud noises frighten them?
The piggies ring for service, LOL. They learn that the bell ringing means food, so they ring the bell when they want some food. Mine just wheek their lil fool heads off-all 6 at one time. It's LOUD!!

I put my salad on a flat charger-sized plate for the girls. They all grab a side, and munch away.
For the boys, i just put a small pile on the fleece, but I don't really like it that way. I know I have small saucers around here somewhere. I like to feed the boys in 2 different areas so they don't tooth chatter and fight during dinner.

cross

Cavy Slave
my spoiled little babies

Kristine

Cavy Slave
Part of the fun of veggy time is when they come running up to the cage side and wait for me to hand them in food. So I guess I mostly hand feed them, lol. I then just put a pile of it in the middle of the cage. I always handvac the cage first so there are no poops, they also have now associated me vaccuming the fleece with upcoming veggy time. So I start vaccumming and they get all excited and start popcorning around, lol.

mariavictorious

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I definitely need to try all of these methods to see which works best since my piggies are stubborn, but I definitely need to try that veggie ball!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Part of the fun of veggy time is when they come running up to the cage side and wait for me to hand them in food. So I guess I mostly hand feed them, lol.
I love that too. Even though they get their main salad in a pile, they know how to work me by jumping onto their kitchen shelves and being cute all day. They've learned that works well to extort additional veggies from me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.