Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Why would you even consider this.??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually in the conclusion on the last page, she posts about how much carefresh she uses.The green post is taken from her website. Since I use one-and-a-half bags of CareFresh ($15 each) each time I do a full cage cleaning, it costs approximately $45 a month to maintain.
However even later on she says she has started using shreaded newspaper as a buffer layer between the flat newspapers and the carefresh so that it only takes her only one bag per month. I am not sure I would let it go as long as she does between cleanings, however with the size of that cage and only three piggies I think, I imagine it isnt getting terribly soiled, especially with the litter box(s)

Honestly, I think we do not know how much her pigs go potty or where. In a cage like that, spot cleaning bad areas and topping that back up would work in that size. Just because you (as in anyone complaining about the cost) can't afford that doesn't mean everyone can't.

Another thing I want to point out is that bguardguy posted : Since I use one-and-a-half bags of CareFresh ($15 each) each time I do a full cage cleaning, it costs approximately $45 a month to maintain.That would mean that if she buys 45$ a month and 1 bag is 15$ and she uses 1.5 bags each time to do a full cleaning she is using 3 bags a month. This means she cleans it twice a month. In a cage that size 2 week cleaning and removing the most soiled areas would in deed work. His/her cage is a 3x6 (with extra areas in the loft and under it). And that's for 3 pigs! I see nothing wrong with 2 week cleans with that and honestly even if I did its not of my business as she seems like a good pet owner to me.

Lets break down the square footage with just the 3x6 area: a 3x6 cage is approx 42" x 82" when you do the math for the sq ft of this cage it would be as followed:
42x82: 3402
3402/144: 23.625

Which means the sq ft is 23.6
According to cavy cages a min requirement for 3 pigs is: 10.5sq ft
Preferred is: 13 sq ft.

She/he has almost double that.

If you use carefresh in a normal 13sq ft cage you can go a week in between complete changes, so why shouldn't a almost double the size not last 2 weeks? AND this is only the main cage, she also has a 1x3 loft and 1x2 area under the loft. Honestly I am jealous of her cage size.

Honestly, I think we do not know how much her pigs go potty or where. In a cage like that, spot cleaning bad areas and topping that back up would work in that size. Just because you (as in anyone complaining about the cost) can't afford that doesn't mean everyone can't.

Seriously? I can afford that, I just don't want to. I like to dump the entire kitchen area every week, so that wouldn't work for me. I wasn't negatively judging her. I think she did a great job. The link to her blog wasn't posted so I didn't know how she did her upkeep.

Way to be rude, though! You have quite a talent.

I don't even think her guinea pig is physically able to fit, much less climb through, the tube. Therefore, the pig is probably starving as they can't reach their "kitchen area" if it's safe to call it that.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone's even worried that she's using CareFresh, how she affords it, how much she uses, when she changes it, if she's considered fleece, or anything else. Same is true on how or if the pigs could fit through the tube or anything else relating to the old cage, as it appears it's no longer a part of their cage. This whole thread was started on the notion that she is housing her guinea pigs in a cage that's too small or otherwise inappropriate, and even though it turns out she actually now has a wonderfully large C&C cage, it seems there's still nit-picking going on over it and, to my sensibilities, it seems like an egregious waste of time and energy.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone's even worried that she's using CareFresh, how she affords it, how much she uses, when she changes it, if she's considered fleece, or anything else. This whole thread was started on the notion that she is housing her guinea pigs in a cage that's too small or otherwise inappropriate, and even though it turns out she actually now has a wonderfully large C&C cage, it seems there's still nit-picking going on over it and, to my sensibilities, it seems like an egregious waste of time and energy.

Not understanding her upkeep shouldn't automatically translate into being nit-picky. I'm relatively new to Carefresh. I was admiring her cage, and wanted very much to express that admiration as so many were criticizing her previous design. Of course, people still like to use your words against you.

I agree with Paula. And the thread title is inflammatory.

I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.