Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Help, been crying over the fate of these pigs today...

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Okay. I'm gonna put down the basics of this scenario, no names or anything, because I don't want this to be sourced to me if stumbled upon but I don't know what to do. My 'in-laws' (or as good as) who I am very close with got some pigs a few months ago. When they adopted them they were perfectly healthy. I saw them yesterday for the first time in months...one has died. The others were thin, missing hair and looked like they were showing signs of scurvy. I don't want to put down all the details here of their location for sourcing reasons. Anyway, I asked my partner to have a word with his folks because if I did my relationship with that family would be totally wrecked as I'd just be a lecturing know it all. I told him I'd pay for vets bills, food, any treatment and take total care of them so long as somebody attempted to make them better. But they would rather let them die then just not get any more. I feel so terrible for this, I feel responsible for some reason because I've seen they're not in a good way, been crying about it all day :( They were fine a few months ago..... I know how to look after pigs so I'm not after tips on how to feed pigs properly etc, but rather how to get these removed from their situation without wrecking my relationship and causing a huge huge row amongst my partners family. I just don't know what to do. Please nobody hate me for this thread, I didn't know how else to explain it and I need advice on how this situation should be approached :( I hope they don't find this thread lol...

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
Obviously they need to be in a better home. Can you just ask if you can have them?? That way you can hopefully take them to the vet and nurse them back to healthy piggies..

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
Do you know where they adopted the pigs from? If you can find that out then I would get in touch with them and tell them your concerns about the pigs and see if they would be willing to check on them. If not, then all I can think to suggest is you getting in touch with your local RSPCA and seeing if they can do anything.

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
It must be terrible for you, I kind of know how it feels because I a friend of mine had a hamster that they didn't care about, it broke its leg ,and they just left it and barely let it out, so it just lived in a super small cage all its life, and being the friend and you couldn't do anything about it is definitely the worst feelings ever.
If u
If they don't even care about them much, don't have much knowledge about them, etc. why did they get them in the first place? It's definitely not your fault though, don't cry about it! See what you can do to help. You can offer to help them take care of them, or if they ever need a pet sitter, offer to be one! Just do whatever you can to help them. If you can, ask why they are missing hair or so thin. Then you can try to nicely tell them what they need to do about it. If you can ever get a hold of the piggies, do everything you can to help them! Vitamin C, hay, proper food, etc. You can help the pigs! Good luck ;)

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Obviously they need to be in a better home. Can you just ask if you can have them?? That way you can hopefully take them to the vet and nurse them back to healthy piggies..
I've asked my folks if I can (live with my parents), but they've put their foot down. At the moment I'm trying to see if they can bring them to their house - they're on a farm atm - so I can take care of them while I find them a good home :/

Do you know where they adopted the pigs from? If you can find that out then I would get in touch with them and tell them your concerns about the pigs and see if they would be willing to check on them. If not, then all I can think to suggest is you getting in touch with your local RSPCA and seeing if they can do anything.
They adopted them from a friend of mine :/ If I tell him it'd break his heart. Especially with one dying already. I'm trying not to hurt loads of people lol this is such a confusing situation.

It must be terrible for you, I kind of know how it feels because I a friend of mine had a hamster that they didn't care about, it broke its leg ,and they just left it and barely let it out, so it just lived in a super small cage all its life, and being the friend and you couldn't do anything about it is definitely the worst feelings ever.
If u
If they don't even care about them much, don't have much knowledge about them, etc. why did they get them in the first place? It's definitely not your fault though, don't cry about it! See what you can do to help. You can offer to help them take care of them, or if they ever need a pet sitter, offer to be one! Just do whatever you can to help them. If you can, ask why they are missing hair or so thin. Then you can try to nicely tell them what they need to do about it. If you can ever get a hold of the piggies, do everything you can to help them! Vitamin C, hay, proper food, etc. You can help the pigs! Good luck ;)
They have an occupation where they thought it'd be a good idea...I'm pretty sure they have a fungal infection and/or scurvy but I didn't get a proper look at them or their gums, just from through a hutch door. I've told them what to do but they'd rather just let them die. Having them in their house in an inconvenience to them apparently, finding the best way to go about this is so hard!!

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
Is there any chance you can get your boyfriend to persuade his parents to surrender the pigs to a rescue? Someone needs to make it clear to them that if they just let the pigs die without getting any veterinary treatment that that is animal cruelty and as such should be reported for it!

I understand you not wanting to get in a row with them and also not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings but someone has got to speak up for those pigs and get them out of that situation asap. I hope you can find a quick solution for this problem!!

jellyburp

Cavy Slave
You should try to convince them to take her to the vet; keep trying to help them!

madison45

Cavy Slave
That is horrible you really need to have a talk with them

KristiR

Cavy Slave
You are in a predicament but my question is why would you even want a relationship with animal abusers? This isn't a case of ignorance if they stated they'd rather just let them die and get more. These people are cruel on purpose and neglectful. You should really speak with them face to face and if not I would contact your local animal shelter and give an anonymous tip to them. You'd really be doing the right thing not only for the remaining suffering pigs but any pigs they would potentially get in the future. Good luck.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I would demand the pig. And I would see if a friend would be willing to take care of them, or keep them at the house if I couldn't bring them home to mine.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Why can't your boyfriend keep the pigs at his place until they are healthy and can be re homed? I am assuming you guys are adults. He or you or both of you can ask the in-laws for the guinea pig since it doesn't seem like the parents like it all too well.

ashyme
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Is there any chance you can get your boyfriend to persuade his parents to surrender the pigs to a rescue? Someone needs to make it clear to them that if they just let the pigs die without getting any veterinary treatment that that is animal cruelty and as such should be reported for it!

I understand you not wanting to get in a row with them and also not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings but someone has got to speak up for those pigs and get them out of that situation asap. I hope you can find a quick solution for this problem!!
We both live with our folks at the minute as we're doing our degrees/don't have time for full time jobs :/ I had a chat with him tonight and tomorrow he is going to mention how I feel about it and see if the pigs can come to their house - I can't have them here after all so it's the next best thing. I can go up there daily and take care of them as much as I need to that way. His house is 5 minutes away whereas where they're kept now is about 35 mins there + 35 mins back so it'd be so much easier. That way I can look for a new home for them whilst I am getting them sorted out.

You are in a predicament but my question is why would you even want a relationship with animal abusers? This isn't a case of ignorance if they stated they'd rather just let them die and get more. These people are cruel on purpose and neglectful. You should really speak with them face to face and if not I would contact your local animal shelter and give an anonymous tip to them. You'd really be doing the right thing not only for the remaining suffering pigs but any pigs they would potentially get in the future. Good luck.
....I did mention they were my in-laws. Not my partner. Therefore reporting them would really damage my own relationship. I was asking for tips on how to solve this problem in a suitable manner. I know the pigs need to get out of there and be taken care of which is the reason I am trying to help them but I don't think reporting my partners family is necessary. They are not going to get more guinea pigs after this, they have said that, and I'd beg them not to anyway but please understand this is not in my direct control and I am trying to help the pigs.

Why can't your boyfriend keep the pigs at his place until they are healthy and can be re homed? I am assuming you guys are adults. He or you or both of you can ask the in-laws for the guinea pig since it doesn't seem like the parents like it all too well.
Just realised I answered this a second ago before pressing multi quote lol so my answer to that is above in this post. The fact we live with our parents doesn't help anything :/ But hopefully I can nurse the pigs back to better health and find them a loving home that understands.

I'm SOO sorry you had to see their piggies, but in a way it is good. If you could take them for a while that would be good. Just keep looking at the good things in the world and keep taking care of your piggies (Not the best advice)
Thank-you :) I was worried I'd get hate when I posted this thread so all the supportive responses I have received really do make me feel so much better. Just the fact that'd I'd seen these pigs, I felt so responsible, y'know? Hopefully things are on the right track and I can get them sorted. Unfortunately my boyfriend's not the best with words but we'll see how his chat with his folks go tomorrow - I'd do it but he's already started repeating my words so it'd be better just to let him say the lot or it'll look like I'm being a right cow. I will keep everyone informed of these girls' progress.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Thought I'd update everyone on the situation :) Good news! I am looking after them for the next week, going in to town to buy them their veggies in about an hour. Then next weekend I am meeting somebody from a rescue (meeting them half way) and they are going there. I'd keep them myself but I just can't, I don't have the space for another cage. I would have rehomed them privately but with the rescue at least I'm happy in the knowledge that they'll be well looked after and any potential owners will have to have a home check first :)

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
Aww that's great news! Really pleased that the pigs will now be well looked after and good on you for doing this for them!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
That's awesome. I'm glad this story has a happy ending.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Good to hear these piggies are going to be in better care. Well done :)

ashyme
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Squeakerlover

Cavy Slave
Wonderful! Just wonderful! So glad to "hear" they're going to be cared for properly.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That is great news! Good job with helping them you saved their lives.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.