Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Convincing Parents!!!

Coco and Pops

Cavy Slave
So I have two beautiful girls, Cola and Pepsi, but I have always liked to have more than two. One of my mums friends is a vet and last year they decided to breed two guinea pigs. Unfortunately they live quite far away and my mum doesn't talk to her very much, anyway last year we were getting some more guinea pigs after my two boars, coco and pops, died and we were thinking about getting some off my mums friend, but they had all gone by the time mum had got around to asking so we got Cola and Pepsi from somewhere else. Last night my mum saw her friend again at a party and asked her about the guinea pigs and my mums friend said that they were breeding again in the summer and offered my mum some, but my mom said no. Of course I was devastated when my mum told me and I'm trying to convince her to let me have some. I'm not sure what the problem is as we have a large spare hutch and a big garden so space isn't an issue. Mum said it was partly because we didn't have enough inside space as we keep Cola and Pepsi in a small cage in the hall when it gets cold outside, but we have a big shed that we used to put my late guinea pigs in when it got really cold because they lived outside all the time and were happy. She knows I can take the responsibility because I do everything for Cola and Pepsi without moaning and I think the problem is she just doesn't want some more , but I feel like its partly my decision as I will be looking after them and I know I can take the responsibility. So i need some opinions and ways of convincing her. One last thing! My mum is one if the most stubborn people I know, just behind my dad! Thanks!:D

Coco and Pops

Cavy Slave
Quick Update! In the summer holidays I looked after two of my friends guinea pigs for two weeks while they went on holiday and I loved it so i know I can look after more guinea pigs, plus there inside cage easily fitted in our hall and it is much bigger than ours.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Why dont you get a pig from the shelter? There are always plenty of pigs out there needing homes. Plus, if you adopt from a shelter, it adds more to your argument. Like, there are so many guinea pigs out there in shelters, and I have the space, time and money for another one. I would like to save a guinea pigs life! That makes your argument a lot stronger, in my opinion.

Outdoor housing is not reccomended. If you keep them outside, predators are more likely to get them, especially if you have a lot of cats in your area. If you keep them inside, you mom will see them more, and like them more. She may even let you get more guinea pigs than you asked for.

But overall, do your chores, help out with dinner, etc. and of course, be polite and don't bug your parents too much. Guinea pigs also need a big cage, for two you need 8 sq feet. If they're two males, you need ten sq feet. Check out the main tab in the top right corner of the page. So your mom might be against the big cage size. Just let her handle them, and she'll start to like them. Seriously, how hard is it to love these fur balls?

Coco and Pops

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply! I would love to adopt a guinea pig, but my friend did and their was lots of complications which put my mum off adopting. I have read about keeping guinea pigs outside is bad, but Coco and Pops my late guinea pigs, lived outside all the time and only came in when it was below 0 degrees Celsius and they were happy and healthy. My mum loves Cola and Pepsi, but won't admit it!!!! Don't worry my hutch is big enough and I will be super good!!!! hahaha

Coco and Pops

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply! I would love to adopt a guinea pig, but my friend did and their was lots of complications which put my mum off adopting. I have read about keeping guinea pigs outside is bad, but Coco and Pops my late guinea pigs, lived outside all the time and only came in when it was below 0 degrees Celsius and they were happy and healthy. My mum loves Cola and Pepsi, but won't admit it!!!! Don't worry my hutch is big enough and I will be super good!!!! hahaha @magicpiggie

Coco and Pops

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply! I would love to adopt a guinea pig, but my friend did and their was lots of complications which put my mum off adopting. I have read about keeping guinea pigs outside is bad, but Coco and Pops my late guinea pigs, lived outside all the time and only came in when it was below 0 degrees Celsius and they were happy and healthy. My mum loves Cola and Pepsi, but won't admit it!!!! Don't worry my hutch is big enough and I will be super good!!!! hahaha @magicpiggie

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Hmmm. Maybe your friend got the pig from a bad rescue? It's not guaranteed that pigs from breeders will have a clean bill of health. And not all pigs from shelters are sick. It just depends on the shelter. But either way, when you get your pig, make sure to quarantine. https://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you can't house them indoors in an adequate sized cage, I wouldn't get more.

Coco and Pops

Cavy Slave
If you can't house them indoors in an adequate sized cage, I wouldn't get more.
Thanks for the reply, I realize that I do need indoor space (I think I needed to hear it!), but I feel like I can provide a adequate space for my GP's inside.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.